Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Lou Reed to re-release "worst album of all time"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:07

Re: OT: Lou Reed to re-release "worst album of all time"
Date: April 21, 2010 04:12

Actually, according to Jimmy Guterman's and Owen O'Donnell's fine book, "The Worst Rock n' Roll Records Of All Time", MMM is only the SECOND worst album of all time. It was edged out for the top spot by "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 04:13 by tatters.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:13

lou's week beats your year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:26

......perfect for those who have a problem with vocals...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:36

Wow! I am a big fan of Lou but MMM is a hard nut to crack. Just feeback layered upon feedback...a serious middle finger to the execs who wanted another Sally Can't Dance.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:40

He put it out in February through his website in the original quadrophonic mixes on DVD and Blu-Ray. Hearing it in full surround is a sonic assault that could burn away bad memories and possibly eliminate the need for psycho therapy.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:46

It's just the original LP-pressing that's intressting with this album, in mint-condition...I have listened One time to it. Who buys it on re-releases on CD?

sad smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:20

Self indulgent crap. What's amazing is that RCA even released it.

Date: April 21, 2010 12:26

I'm gonna catch Lou this coming monday. Let's hope MMM will not be played in it's entirety winking smiley

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 13:06

you forgot this album: Fabio Album

Date: April 21, 2010 13:47

DandelionPowderman
I'm gonna catch Lou this coming monday. Let's hope MMM will not be played in it's entirety winking smiley

Er, he's coming to London this week with his Metal Machine Trio and playing music inspired by the album. Pretty likely he'll be doing it throughout his current tour. You have been warned.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2010 14:10

tatters
Actually, according to Jimmy Guterman's and Owen O'Donnell's fine book, "The Worst Rock n' Roll Records Of All Time", MMM is only the SECOND worst album of all time. It was edged out for the top spot by "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage".

..and I proudly own them both!

'Having Fun...' isnt even the worst Elvis album. It may be the worst idea for an album, but its still more listenable than most of the 60's movie soundtracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 14:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 21, 2010 15:00

I quite like it to be honest. MMM is no different to a lot of the experimental/noise stuff I listen to every day of the week

Date: April 21, 2010 15:05

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Er, he's coming to London this week with his Metal Machine Trio and playing music inspired by the album. Pretty likely he'll be doing it throughout his current tour. You have been warned.

Ouch! I didn't know that angry smiley I was offered surprisingly cheap tickets by a friend... Darn!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 21, 2010 15:12

Sorry, but Tom Arico certainly produced the worst album(s) ever recorded. Here's a review of his "In Jerusalem" album (an album pretending to be live, but it's a studio-album with just applause added, apparantly from an old kinks show)

Does this album come with a rope or a gun?, January 22, 2004
By A Customer

This review is from: The Preacher (Audio CD)
To sell this album without some way of committing suicide, or atleast a pen to poke out your eardrums, seems inhuman. The is absolutly the worst music I've EVER heard. Honestly, 45 minutes of a cat being smashed against the wall would be a more pleasurable audio experience.
But attacks aside, the songs by Arico seem to have no direction, cheesy lyrics and a voice that sounds like a cross between Bob Dylan and a goat giving birth.

This is from his site: "It has come to my attention that some radio stations are holding a Tom Arico "Baby on the way" listening contest. The contestant sits in a chair where he will listen to my song "baby on the way" . If he is able to maintain a straight face while listening to the entire song he wins some sort of prize, probably a Tom Arico CD.

It took me a while to understand this contest and spent a couple of houres listening to my song "Baby on the way" to try to understand why people were unable to hold a straight face while listening. Finally it dawned on me, the song is about a young couple about to have a baby, probably the happiest moment in their lives. The listeners are placing themselves in the couples shoes and experiencing their joy. Tears of joy stream down the listeners face while they listen to this song.

Now I realize why "Baby on the way" garnerd a cult like following on college radio and the internet. I've recently brought the song back into my live shows. I knew my music had an effect on people but I never thought it was this powerful.

I endorse "Baby on the way" listening contests and would be happy to provide CDs for givaways and prize winners. If anybody is interested send me an e-mail.

If you are one of the few people who've never heard "Baby on the way," there is a live version on my "Live from Jerusalem" cd, or perhaps the link below provided by a New York radio station is still active."

No Tom, thats not it. People can't keep a straight face because its just that funny. The only time it "Brought me to tears" is when my ears started to bleed.

Date: April 21, 2010 15:27

Gazza
tatters

..and I proudly own them both!

'Having Fun...' isnt even the worst Elvis album. It may be the worst idea for an album, but its still more listenable than most of the 60's movie soundtracks.

"Worst Album" is not necessarily the same thing as "Most Unlistenable Album". On a list of most unlistenable albums, MMM would definitely be #1.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 21, 2010 15:30

Lou Reed must be releasing a Rap CD..........

Date: April 21, 2010 15:32

Come On
It's just the original LP-pressing that's intressting with this album, in mint-condition...I have listened One time to it. Who buys it on re-releases on CD?

sad smiley

Did you really listen to the ENTIRE sixty-four minutes of it??? I would have assumed that only Bob Ludwig, MMM's hapless mastering engineer, has ever heard the ENTIRE album. Even Lou claims to have never listened to it all the way through.

Date: April 21, 2010 15:33

I agree, tatters. As a completist who owned every other album Lou had put out, the collector in me wanted to track it down (it was deleted on vinyl within weeks and wasnt available on CD for many years) but common sense prevailed. I can understand paying a lot of money for a hard to find record that has some degree of musical merit, but not one that was released as a joke.

So I downloaded the bastard for free. After managing to listen to three minutes of it, I still think I was robbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 15:34 by Gazza.

Date: April 21, 2010 15:35

Gazza
I agree, tatters. As a completist who owned every other album Lou had put out, the collector in me wanted to track it down (it was deleted on vinyl within weeks and wasnt available on CD for many years) but common sense prevailed. I can understand paying a lot of money for a hard to find record that has some degree of musical merit, but not one that was released as a joke.

So I downloaded the bastard for free. After managing to listen to three minutes of it, I still think I was robbed.

There's a Lou Reed box set that includes about 90 seconds of it. That's about all any sane person really needs to hear.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 15:39

oh Gazza that is precious! Your comments are fantastic and really brought a smile to my face!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 15:45 by whitem8.

Date: April 21, 2010 15:41

andy js
I quite like it to be honest. MMM is no different to a lot of the experimental/noise stuff I listen to every day of the week

D'you work in a machinery plant by any chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 16:21 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:14

Lou said of the album: "Anyone reaching side 4 is dumber than I am". I tend to agree with him. It's not supposed to be anything anyway. It's just a joke/a finger in the face of his record company. He made a slew of great albums before and after Metal Machine Music so he's excused. Lou has a Keithish quality about him, as does Tom Waits. If you have a tenth of the coolness of Keith, you're already much cooler than most.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:17

Executive of the record company of Japan went to the airport to pick up Lou when he arrived Japan in 1975.
Executive thought he had to give the very best service he could.
Then executive played Metal Machine Music at full blast in the arrival area at the airport.
"What a drag!" Lou murmured.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:52

Silver Dagger
Self indulgent crap. What's amazing is that RCA even released it.

On their classical Red label to boot!

I had (still have) a promo of that album. It was the perfect soundtrack when I came home late and drunk with the 'spins.'

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2010 17:58

Don't forget this one:

or ....

Date: April 21, 2010 18:31

1cdog
Lou Reed must be releasing a Rap CD..........

Too late for that! He was 24 years ahead of ya!

[video.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 18:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 21, 2010 18:35

Date: April 21, 2010 18:43

This one failed to deliver big time.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2010 19:01

Here's another good one:

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home