Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Exile preview on Amazon.co.uk
Posted by: z ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:20

Mathijs
whitem8
Loving Cup is not a new vocal. Same version that was on Leon Russell, just the vocals are more upfront in the mix.

No, this is not the Leon Russel version, this is the April - July '69 version in the form they did at Hyde Park as well. Leon Russel's version only has Jagger and Taylor.

Mathijs

Leon Russell version? is there a 'Loving Cup' version with Russell? wasn't it 'Shine a Light'?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:20

LieB
Am I the only one who don't wanna hear these previews before I get the actual record?

I hope I can keep from listening to the them and still read this forum...

No you are not the only one! I gave up with Plundering, but I will be strong with the others. I mean, it's like wanting to see low quality nude pics of the lady you are dating BEFORE you slept with her ...

C

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:23

liddas
LieB
Am I the only one who don't wanna hear these previews before I get the actual record?

No you are not the only one! I gave up with Plundering, but I will be strong with the others. I mean, it's like wanting to see low quality nude pics of the lady you are dating BEFORE you slept with her ...

C

uncanny yet effective metaphor
still i could not resist to peek... :-P

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:38

liddas
LieB

C

what would be the problem with that??
with some girls low quality pics even rather promise higher quality then there is. winking smiley

who wants reality all the time???

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:52

This new clip of Signifying sounds different to me than the previously available snippet.
It´s sounds more like the familiar outtake, and the vocals are not modern overdubs to my ears....
The vocals on the short snippet version sounded new, though!
Strange? Or is it Just My Imagination?

Date: April 21, 2010 12:57

Great to hear Keith on Soul Survivor!

Nice to get Loving Cup and Good Time Women in good sound quality, too.

So, with Title 5 and Signifying, probably five tracks without new vocals!?

Date: April 21, 2010 12:58

Yes! Yes! Yes! I finally get to hear Keith sing a "Soul Survivor". All my life I have been yearning for this outtake.
And it's great: even at this way earlier stage in the game, and Keith's voice still the thin reed voice - the dynamics of a Jagger vs Keith vocal are exactly the same as they were to be later on with Voodoo, Babylon etc. :
Take the identical backing track, and add a Keith lead vocal instead of a Jagger vocal, and right away the snare seems to acquire an extra bounce, there is a bit more roll.

Date: April 21, 2010 13:04

About Leon Russell:

If there is a version of Loving Cup with Leon Russell and Stones - let me hear it please!

The track i know of is an early version of Shine a Light called (Can´t Seem To) Get A Line On You, available as a bonus track on a Leon Russell CD.
It has Mick J on lead vocals and probably some other Stones playing as well, although it´s not a Stones session.

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: April 21, 2010 13:18

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 21, 2010 13:19

Thanks for the link to the previews.

I think the 2nd disc sounds tremendous, I don't get ANY of the complaints about Mick's vox because it just sounds like pure classic Stones to me. The vibe, attitude and drop-dead coolness is all there. It's wonderful. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on this sucker!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 13:55

Sorry guys! I didn't mean to say Leon and Loving Cup! Morning pre caffeine blues! Yes it is Get a Line On You...
But that version of Loving Cup off disc two sounds identical to the Let it Bleed Sessions... Sorry to cause panicangry smiley

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 14:05

I just loved. Keith vocals in Soul Survivor is amazin. The news Exile really sounds good!

The boys back. Here we go!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:53

cirrhosis
Keith's Soul Survivor is one of the best things to happen to the world in a long time.

Title 5 sounds like what would happen if I were in a garage band with Alice Cooper.
Alice Cooper himself said Stones is (were) the best garage band of all times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 22:12 by mtaylor.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:50

I think the new "All Down The Line" is better than the released version, even though there's only a few seconds of it.

The Keith version of "Soul Survivor" is great too.

Its great they've finally done this, as up until they did this I thought they didn't care about their past. Now we know they do.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:53

Let's judge when we've heard it all. I've my doubts about good old I Ain't Signifying, but maybe and hopefully injustly.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 21, 2010 22:50

...better than I hoped in my best rock'roll dreams....seems to me a complete new album from our boys...!!

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 23:28

Jagger raped Aladdin Story!! sad smiley
It sounded better without vocals. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: April 22, 2010 00:37

It sounds like Micks vocals are SLIGHTLY higher in the remastered Exile.

Date: April 22, 2010 00:49

DiamondDog7
Jagger raped Aladdin Story!! sad smiley
It sounded better without vocals. But hey, that's just my opinion.

yeah, the instrumental of Aladdin is sublime. it would've been great if left w/out vox or maybe just very sparse lyrics because it has such an atmospheric feel to it. but it will be interesting to hear the completed new version, see what mick comes up for lyrics and how he sings it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 22, 2010 00:52

starstar74
It sounds like Micks vocals are SLIGHTLY higher in the remastered Exile.

It may appear that way due to more clarity through the remastering process and afaik it's not a remix.
so the mix should be the same.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 22, 2010 05:08

wow; sounds great. so much here. man this is awesome. i am so happy bout this. on these clips in headphones the bass is so excellent better than ever...just sounds wonderful....wow keith on survivor...the PERFECT good time woman...awww, gonna take a while to get mah punkinhaid wrapped round all this...wow this is gonna rock my cd player ALL SUMMER LONG this year. THE SUMMER OF STONES once again. i got such the system in my auto...man this is like a homecoming or something...i'm real excited and happy about this.
thumbs up
smileys with beer
smiling bouncing smiley
smoking smiley
grinning smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 22, 2010 05:09

yeehaw forgot to say YEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWW

my goodness this is great. the unreleased stuff is CHARMING... whoa... this is solid gold strike...wow. overwhelmingly a huge bouquet of in your face rooted soulful rock as ONLY the stones could work it out.... this is amazing masterpiece...all of it amen. wow.

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-22 05:13 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 22, 2010 08:14

Tonight I listened to Exile from beginning to end 3x on a drive to New Hampshire and back to Maine. The third time, I was listening mostly to the backing vocals and wondering how they might change with the re-issue. I have a better sense of that---and everything else---after listening to these clips.

It's great to have been able to hear a preview. I'm grateful that they did this re-issue. I believe I'm going to like and appreciate it a lot.

The re-issue will be a different experience -- almost like getting a whole new Stones album to imprint on my life, because it just sounds so different. So many different things are emphasized (like the klaves on Turd on the Run)

First impression is that -for me- soundwise the reissue may be a bit brighter than I prefer (with any music). But the remastering and remixing will make it possible to hear things that weren't prominent on the original. For that, as a Stones' geek, I am grateful and excited to hear more.

What's with the vocals on Happy? are these original? sound really different and Mick's parts are turned way up.

Had no IDEA about Soul Survivor --- holy SHIT!!!!!! Sounds like Keith channeling Lou Reed. I cannot WAIT to get this album.

btw...isn't Loving Cup (alt) the one people call "Gimme l'il drink"? (I am not a collector so I may have gotten the name wrong - but I have heard that clip a half dozen times and the guitar and the speed sound similar tho Mick's enunciation sounds different)

Whew-----it is going to be wild this summer-----hearing Exile on Main Street playing ambiantly like we haven't heard in years, or ever...in bars, out of car windows, on the beach. Wow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-22 08:22 by swiss.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 23, 2010 07:40

I just listened to the alternate version of All Down The Line georgelicks posted -- LOVE iT!
[www.amazon.co.uk]

What do you guys think of the previews?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 23, 2010 08:42

Like 'em all, except for Following The River. Nice piano, but the vocals are simply horrible.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2010 09:13

>> Am I the only one who don't wanna hear these previews before I get the actual record? <<

nope, you're not alone :E

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: April 23, 2010 17:22

Very juicy taster! Thanks for posting the link...

for my tuppence worth, it does sound like new vocals on I'm Not Signifying (maybe that's why they're not calling it I Ain't Signifying!)

Good chance to hear what they've done with the re-master also, even at low quality. Mick's vocals definitely sound louder / clearer but not as OTT as I was suspecting, so I'm relaxing a little bit about that now. On headphones the stereo mix sounds a little 'wider' also, with more space between the instruments - anyone else think that?

The biggest revelation for me is Title 5 - heavy as f**k! fantastic...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 23, 2010 17:44

...Aladdin Story sounds great....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2010 18:12

swiss
First impression is that -for me- soundwise the reissue may be a bit brighter than I prefer (with any music). But the remastering and remixing will make it possible to hear things that weren't prominent on the original. For that, as a Stones' geek, I am grateful and excited to hear more.

The original Exile album has only been remastered, NOT remixed. Same as all the other UMG reissues.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 23, 2010 18:25

Gazza
swiss

The original Exile album has only been remastered, NOT remixed. Same as all the other UMG reissues.

can it be reviewed, then? or does the view has to remain as it was. i'm not up on all the rules....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home