Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The video -clip of PLUNDERED MY SOUL on April the 19th .
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 19, 2010 19:26

I was just expecting a bit more effort. A music video should have something that catches your attention, tells a story - like Anybody Seen My Baby. What we got is a slideshow, what value does that add? Why would anyone show it on a TV channel? What purpose does it serve to release a video that won't be picked up by any TV channel (or perhaps, be played once because of the novelty value of a "new" Stones song).

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: April 19, 2010 19:50

It's obvious this video was made to promote EOMS rather than PMS, to me. You can watch it without the sound or with another song, it works as well. It'd have been more related to PMS if we could see Mick singing each time the refrain was on, for example. And, since the lyrics are new, why not a Mick or Keith or Charlie as they are nowadays, time to time? There are enough "recent" videos to do so...

This been said, I think it's a BEAUTIFUL video, I like it very much and I'll need time to press on "pause" each time I want to check all, lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 21:44 by FolkyFireKitten1.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 19, 2010 19:53

Lorenz
I was just expecting a bit more effort. A music video should have something that catches your attention, tells a story - like Anybody Seen My Baby. What we got is a slideshow, what value does that add? Why would anyone show it on a TV channel? What purpose does it serve to release a video that won't be picked up by any TV channel (or perhaps, be played once because of the novelty value of a "new" Stones song).

It's a teaser and appetiser and preview (same as the 7" vinyl ) for selling a whole damn expensive deluxe set, including DVD footage material and whatnot...
there's more to come and in marketing you don't wanna give everything away with the first blow.

it's not a slide show.
actually it's styled graphically, moving and turning in pace.
it fits the concept of the EOMS cover and serves the song.

...now show me a clip that a 10 y/o did better.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 19, 2010 20:05

maumau
Question: whos the black girl with afro hair that appears at 2:15-2:16?

Isn't that Marsha Hunt??

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 19, 2010 20:12

HalfNanker
maumau

Isn't that Marsha Hunt??

Or Angela Davis? (Sweet Black Angel)

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: April 19, 2010 20:36

I for one like the song and the video. The song could need some more work. To me it sounds a bit unfinished. A song that doesn't really go anywhere, but it's still way better than a filler like I Just Wanna See His Face. The video is cool and captures the vibe of The Rolling Stones in 1972.

Date: April 19, 2010 20:52

open-g
Lorenz

It's a teaser and appetiser and preview (same as the 7" vinyl ) for selling a whole damn expensive deluxe set, including DVD footage material and whatnot...
there's more to come and in marketing you don't wanna give everything away with the first blow.

it's not a slide show.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. The rule is that if you want to sell something, your marketing better be good, I don't think (and the numbers show that) it is.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:00

FolkyFireKitten1
It's obvious this video was made to promote EMOS rather than PMS

The Stones have done some great music videos, but this is NOT one of them. This somehow seems much more like a commercial than a music video.

I can almost imagine the voice of Wolfman Jack at the end, urging me to "Pick up the new the Special Edition Of Exile On Main Street by The Rolling Stones and their new single, 'Plundered My Soul' !"

(Look at the Beatles' "Real Love" video on YouTube to see an imaginative, reflective, self-referential music video for a song that's been resurrected from decades before...)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 22:27 by schillid.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:22

Lorenz
What we got is a slideshow, what value does that add? Why would anyone show it on a TV channel? What purpose does it serve to release a video that won't be picked up by any TV channel (or perhaps, be played once because of the novelty value of a "new" Stones song).

Slide show? Yeah but you can't name it a slide show .
Pity there are no close-up(s)
I wish the video would focus /leave motionless on famous Stones pics as Keith & Mick .
FADE TO BLACK ....
I am wondering who-apart from the hardcore fans - know abouth the SMP release ???

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 19, 2010 21:26

yeah, ok - calling it a slide show is perhaps exaggerated, but you know what I mean. I'm not a stones basher, but I just always feel that they don't use half of their potential lately.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:32

I agree with schillid: I like the concept, but I wish they had allowed a few of the "frames" to expand into longer segments - you get bored very quickly with trying to watch 40 frames at once, especially once you realise that that's all there is and the video isn't really going anywhere.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:39

I think the music video should add some dynamics to the song and in 2/3 indeed it's getting boring. anyway what else could they do? I kinda missed Mick's dancing here, but on the other hand the band miming to 1971 song wouldn't do good.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:54

Lorenz
open-g
Lorenz

it's not a slide show.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. The rule is that if you want to sell something, your marketing better be good, I don't think (and the numbers show that) it is.

The stones don't expect to make a hit or huge sell just with the single I pressume, hence the limited release of the 7" (numbered in the usa and only for recordstoreday)
It could be a small hit with good airplay (more than SOL from A Bigger Bang) The video is nicely done I think, and it is a marketing tool for the new EOMS release
(are not all videoclips teasers or marketing tools in essence?)
I quite like the puzzle effect of all the short clips in the video myself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 21:56 by barbabang.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: April 19, 2010 21:57

Cafaro
Thank you for posting........I just cant get into this song. Mick's vocal and the production just seem to take away any Exile vibe the song may have once had.

The more I hear it, the less I like it. sorry.

I would have to agree with you, it may be a Exile song but it has a 21st century production sound to it. I can vision this being played at a stadium show with the same formula as the past 20 years.

Date: April 19, 2010 22:18

schillid
FolkyFireKitten1
It's obvious this video was made to promote EOMS rather than PMS

The Stones have done some great music videos, but this isn't one of them. This somehow seems much more like a commercial than a music video.

I can almost imagine the voice of Wolfman Jack at the end, urging me to "Pick up the new the Special Edition Of Exile On Main Street by The Rolling Stones and their new single, 'Plundered My Soul' !"

(Look at the Beatles' "Real Love" video on YouTube to see an imaginative, reflective, self-referential music video for a song that's been resurrected from decades before...)

There's something special that I like with this PMS video and that is related to the song: there's parts of the lyrics, those seem they've been quickly, roughly written, totaly in the EOMS spirit. It's very well thought! (But I suppose, once it's done, you can do that very easily with every songs...)

I must confess that I have a kind of allergy winking smiley when I hear or see something related to the Bea.... (aaa...TCHAAA!!! - Sorry)..tles but I watched the video and I agree with you, I have to admit it's a great one!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2010 23:39

Quite sad reading this stuff over-all, as , you know, a Rolling Stones fan... so let us hope they get back to their las vegas reality and stop fooling us with these kind of stupid "nostagy" releases.

"VIVA LAS VEGAS! BEST STONES YET! IF YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH IN YOUR CREDIT CARD, YOU DAMN LOSER, WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL YOURSELF, YOU @#$%&, AND GO TO LISTEN LESSER LOSER ACTS! GIMME MY @#$%&' SATISFACTION NOW"

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 23:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 19, 2010 23:53

HalfNanker
maumau

Isn't that Marsha Hunt??

Marsha Hunt: [www.google.com]

Angela Davis: [www.google.com]

Hard to tell, I'd have to watch the video again, but Davis was either on the run, in p[rison or on trial between 1970 and 1972, so assuming the clips are from 1971 early 1972, I doubt it is her!

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: April 20, 2010 00:36

Cool video! I like it!!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:30

very refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!! bass sounds so good on this clip...wow... this is growin on me... glad its here...... is it just me or does anyone else get a little 'ear fatigue' the high end here? just curious thank you...
broadcasters a hoot tooo....
at the end a female and she's seeing "smiley faces and peace signs".... ????

lol; well alright...

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-20 01:32 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:30

Thanks for the video everyone. I like it.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 20, 2010 04:10

FolkyFireKitten1
It's obvious this video was made to promote EOMS rather than PMS quote]

Exactly.
I hope people didn't want to see a 2009 Mick Jagger singing on the video ???

It's all about Exile & 1972...get with it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 20, 2010 05:56

I like the song and the video. It's a retrospective look back thru the panes of time.

It works for me, because I absolutely enjoy the past. Everybody (including myself) has complained about the band being too big and showy at times with the tours and productions. Now, they really give us something simple, creative and quite unique and nobody is happy.

A lot of people here always talk about how they love Exile, well here it is, complete with footage and feel. I'm gonna check it out again.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:27

I love love love loved!!! this video.

I'd listened to PMS maybe a dozen times and have been left with a slightly warm impression -- but listening while watching the video warmed me up to the song.

For me, the video works because it's smart without being slick. It's a homage to Exile itself, to the flavor, to the times, to the making of the album cover. It's bringing alive that which was static. It's visually bringing it to life. The cuts are quick, some are super-clever (not a kid's slideshow). I agree with Doxa -- you gotta be ready for the ride and if you're not paying attention it could get boring because you're missing the details.

the video was put together with love, I think. It's sweet and raw. I loved it from beginning to end.

Really pleasantly surprised.

Yay Rolling Stones!!!! <3

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:40

On first play, I'm not wowed. The recent overdubs take away that murky Exile feel.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 20, 2010 08:43

It's better than Don't Stop...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:25

Excellent. It's a big nod to Robert Frank rather than some hi-tech modern day video. Love it.

Date: April 20, 2010 12:26

Eleanor Rigby
FolkyFireKitten1
It's obvious this video was made to promote EOMS rather than PMS

Exactly.
I hope people didn't want to see a 2009 Mick Jagger singing on the video ???

It's all about Exile & 1972...get with it.

Since PMS has new lyrics, why not? I mean some furtive pics (or videos), not much, only one of each Stone'd have been enough. This would have been a link between the past (=EOMS) and the present (=PMS). Doing so, I think it would have been less about some kind of nostalgia.
But well, this is only an idea coming from me and I surely don't criticize the video that is already a beautiful one! winking smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 20, 2010 13:33

HalfNanker
HalfNanker
maumau

Isn't that Marsha Hunt??

Hard to tell, I'd have to watch the video again, but Davis was either on the run, in p[rison or on trial between 1970 and 1972, so assuming the clips are from 1971 early 1972, I doubt it is her!

Thanks. I'd forgotten when Angela Davis was having her law troubles. I must watch the video again.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 20, 2010 15:31

Cocaine Eyes
HalfNanker
HalfNanker
maumau

Isn't that Marsha Hunt??

Thanks. I'd forgotten when Angela Davis was having her law troubles. I must watch the video again.

thanx, for a moment i thought she could be Betty Davis

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 20, 2010 17:44

open-g

Do you mean the R.S machine is on again ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home