Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith hitchin' to Devon
Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: October 24, 2008 19:51

In Chris Salewicz's "Mick & Keith" he mentions the glimmers hitching to Devon for two weeks during August 1962. Apparently they played in a local pub, but no other info. Nothing at all on Nico's site. Does anybody know anything more?

Re: Mick & Keith hitchin' to Devon
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 25, 2008 12:19

From various other books which mention this episode, the story seems to be that Keith's parents went on holiday in Devon (possibly at an unidentified holiday camp) and Mick joined them there. Barbara Charone says that this was "the summer they were seventeen" (i.e. 1961) and they travelled "on the bus" - probably a long-distance coach if this is true - but hitching seems equally likely.

Summer 1961 can't be right as they didn't meet on Dartford Station until the autumn of that year. Christopher Sandford says it was a winter holiday (which makes the holiday camp idea more likely as it would be cheap in the off-season and have indoor things to do).

'During the holiday Mick and Keith played in a local pub 'cause Keith had a guitar with him. As soon as they started playing everyone stopped drinking and listened! Afterwards Keith said to me "I wish we had a manager".'
(Doris Richards as quoted by Barbara Charone)

There were lots of holiday camps in South Devon in the 60s - Seaton, Paignton, Brixham and so on. I'd love to know where this was and which pub - if it's still open it deserves a blue plaque or something!

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: October 26, 2008 02:08

Thanks for the extra references. I agree it must have been '62 because of the Dartford Station meeting not happening til October '61.

Re: Mick & Keith in Devon
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 26, 2008 09:18

>> I agree it must have been '62 <<

i think what Green Lady is saying is that it could have been late 61;
if it was 62 it seems like it must have been early in the year, not august.

Posted by: tawandar2004 ()
Date: December 28, 2008 07:41

Ron Wud - I've missed reading your blogs - I bought 6 lots in V.C. where I met you and Laura - Happy Birthday from Missoula, MT. I'm still around even though Mick's long gone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home