Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NEW Exile outtakes samples on YouTube
Posted by: django ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 23:03 by django.

Re: NEW Exile outtakes samples on YouTube
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:07

This was posted on page 3 of exile on main street deluxe edition first listen thread...but more people may see it here with it's own thread...Love this excitement!!!!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:22

So, they pretty much fu**ed with all of the vocals.

Disappointment.

Thanks for posting. Appreciated.

J

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:24

No, actually half of those sound to clearly be the original vocals. Listen to the 2nd and 3rd tracks.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:46

Hey this stuff sounds promising! Despite my disappointment with PMS, I'm excited about these other outtakes.

Thanks for posting this.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 01:11 by drewmaster.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:48

wow..not sure what to think (after one listen).

i'd like to reserve my opinion until i hear the entire thing IN CONTEXT but...I'm
beginning to think that this (original Exile) might be a case of LESS IS MORE. There's a reason
photographs are cropped, movies are edited and some songs get cut from an album's
final tracklist.

I'll be very interested to see how they explain/justify adding new vocals, lyrics & guitar
to 40 yr old out-takes in the album notes. The only thing that is clearly evident is that Mick's voice and
singing style has changed drastically and he's the only one that doesn't know it! SHould've gotten stoned
before he went into the studio.

I think that before a legendary band/musician goes into the studio 40yrs later to mess with
a classic album for a deluxe edition.....they should only do things that they believe will
add to or it... provide historical punctuation or enhance it. Not sure new vocals & lyrics for 40 yr old instrumentals does it.

ok....I will wait until I hear & read the entire package.

I might be in a mood today. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 00:59 by sweet neo con.

Date: April 17, 2010 00:54

sweet neo con

Maybe your mood can attributed to "PMS"?? hot smiley

Sorry, just had to say it.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 00:55 by drewmaster.

Date: April 17, 2010 01:00

drewmaster
sweet neo con

Maybe your mood can attributed to "PMS"?? hot smiley

Sorry, just had to say it.

Drew

maybe smileys with beer

Date: April 17, 2010 01:04

ok...i just listend to PLUNDERD MY SOUL from the thread of the same name. MY HOPE IS RESTORED. AWESOME...even
with the new stuff.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:06

Damn, I think I actually like the bootlegged versions of 'Dancing In The Light" and "I'm Not Signifying" better

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:12

These samples sound quite good, actually...
"New" Stones tracks better than most since Undercover to me.
But, I would prefer to hear these tracks without the "modern" vocal overdubs!

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:00

It's clear that Mick Jagger can't sing or phrase the way he did... just like Bob Dylan can't sing the way he did.

Date: April 17, 2010 02:06

Loudei
It's clear that Mick Jagger can't sing or phrase the way he did... just like Bob Dylan can't sing the way he did.

I'd say Jagger CHOOSES not to sing or phrase the way he did in the past.

Dylan's voice has obviously changed a lot ... to me, it's gotten a lot more interesting.

Drew

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:16

I am with Drew on that one. Dylan's voice has aged horribly in the technical sense, but he - like Mick - finds news ways to draw strength from it. Mick's voice has limitations now, sure - that tends to happen when you're a singer pushing 70. But he still sings great and finds ways to utilize it to its strengths.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 02:19

hard to judge because of video camera mic

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 17, 2010 03:41

It's hard to tell from a snippet, but I like the original versions of Alladin Story and Dancing in The Light better. The former has all that neat saxwork, organ and that pulsating glass vibes (?) sound. The latter has a much punchier intro and the lead isn't as separated and compressed. I'm still getting the cds, but yeah: they should've gone w/ somebody besides Was in the producer's chair. It wouldn't be too hard to have gotten slightly warmer (mic a mini-tube amp across a room to get some 'air' into the vox), buried, less over-enunciated vocals. Both should have started w/ getting the sound we hear on the boots and then matching in the new stuff.

The other ones in the 'medley' I really liked.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 03:49

Wow that stuff sounds fantastic! It is strange to hear vocals on Aladdin Story after all this time of only knowing it as an instrumental, but sounds cool. Bring it on, I can't wait!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 17, 2010 04:03

that ballad at the end sounds too much like Goddess in the Doorway - very nice but would have loved more of a Let It Loose type vocal....

thanks for posting.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 17, 2010 04:15

theimposter
No, actually half of those sound to clearly be the original vocals. Listen to the 2nd and 3rd tracks.

I don't know what they did to "I Ain't Signifying" (Track 2). It sounds like a completely different take of the song from the bootlegged version. The whole song is slowed down -- maybe that's something they did to make the vocals sound older, not sure. In the bootlegged version, Jagger holds his "before"s through the note, as opposed to stuttering it. That tells me it's new because he can't hold those like he did back then. If it is new, it's a pretty good fake, I'll give you that.

"Dancing In The Light" (track 3) is also messed with. Really killed the guitar passion of that one with this remix. The vocal is clearly new. Dead give away toward the end of the clip when he starts talking about her 'nose getting realigned" and that whole "growl" he does. That's trademark mid-80s and beyond Jagger.

What these samples do tell me, IMO, is that these would have made excellent instrumentals like the tracks from The Trident Mixes were.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 17, 2010 06:15

"Pass the Wine" is my favorite thus far.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:25

If these are the final mixes: Mick did it. He ruined all those great tracks with new and unbearable vocals.He completely fu**ed up. And so did Was. Either you produce and mix the whole tracks in a modern way or you produce and mix them in the classic way completely. Here we have something in between. A pity. Get rid of Was, and bring Keith back into the studio.

Shitty pop vocals/melodies on great classic dirty sloppy but mixed down instrumental tracks, awful. see dancing in the light. This had a dangerous mood to it, and now it's a Jagger solo pop song with the noodling guitar and his vox all over the mix.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 13:04 by micawber.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 17, 2010 13:05

Dancing sounds very promissing..!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 17, 2010 19:02

micawber
If these are the final mixes: Mick did it. He ruined all those great tracks with new and unbearable vocals. He completely fu**ed up. quote]

This statement is absolutely crazy! "Ruined" is a very strong word to use. What do people expect? "Exile vol II"? Forget it. Enjoy it for what it is. Old tracks finished into nice songs!

Date: April 17, 2010 22:10

Everything sounds promising, imo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 17, 2010 22:35

I personally think some of the criticism here has been too harsh: "garbage bin", "ruined", etc. Until someone builds a time machine it is not possible for Jagger to go back to 1971 and record vocals in that voice. I remember some of the hostility directed at The Beatles when they did "Free As A Bird" - criticism and mockery instead of being grateful for what we thought we would never see: a brand new Beatles track, and a pretty good one at that. But if nothing else, this has made this board come alive. Thank God for the reprieve from Ronnie Wood girlfriend threads. At least we are arguing about Stones music.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 18, 2010 00:05

What IS that? Is that the second disc? Is the last track on that "Title 5"?

Date: April 18, 2010 02:21

it's a good thing Tattoo You came out long before the Internet era. Can you imagine the complaining and whining that would've occurred?

"I can't believe they didn't included....(pick your favorite outtake)!"

"The completely ruined the vibe of "Waiting On My Friend"!

"It's too polished, they destroyed the great rough edges of the 8 minute version of "Hang Fire" I mean it's way too short of a song now...totally ruined!"

"Start Me Up! jeezuz that goes back to B&B, and I liked it better as a reggae, Jagger's new vocals sound forced"

and there is little doubt this is exactly what would've happened. so much of what an artist does is under the microscope now. what is really amusing is that anyone would think a control freak like Jagger would release half-finished or rough versions of Stones songs. How could anyone not think he was going to do everything possible to make them sound polished and professional sounding. What did anyone expect? I mean really how did those of you less than thrilled with the results really envision this project turning out? I'd really be curious to know.

I will say this, it does appear quite possible that we already have the best outtakes of the Stones, what could be left in the vaults is possibly skeletal frameworks of songs, jams and a ton of instrumentals just waiting for the 21st Century Jagger to pen new lyrics to and warble over!

As for Keith, it seems he defers everything to Mick now, which is obviously not the best thing for the band or the music, but just like this forthcoming Exile outtakes disc, "i.e. Tattoo You 1.5" it is what it is. So not too bad now I will have two versions of DIL, AS, IAS to listen to and a few tracks unheard and unfinished back in the day that now are released. Like it or not it's essentially Mick's band now, and that 's just the way it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 02:24 by kissinc***incannes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2010 02:25

micawber
If these are the final mixes: Mick did it. He ruined all those great tracks with new and unbearable vocals.He completely fu**ed up. And so did Was. Either you produce and mix the whole tracks in a modern way or you produce and mix them in the classic way completely. Here we have something in between. A pity. Get rid of Was, and bring Keith back into the studio.

er..its quite obviously a low-fi version...

And how can he ruin something you hadnt heard before?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2010 03:14

JMARKO

I don't know what they did to "I Ain't Signifying" (Track 2). It sounds like a completely different take of the song from the bootlegged version.

It is. And the timings of 'So Divine (Aladdin Story)' and 'Dancing in The Light' that have been listed for the bonus CD would indicate that the versions used as backing tracks are not the same as what has been bootlegged previously. They're different takes.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 18, 2010 04:59

So Divine seems to me like the same take, maybe just edited, hence the different timing (perhaps early fade out). The vocals take it to a whole other level, sounds excellent, especially the chorus.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home