Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 22
smileys with beerRe: Plundered my friggin' Soul
Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:37

sorry y'all--I did not quote--I was referring to the question of hooks on tumbin dice-- smileys with beer

Re: Plundered my friggin' Soul
Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 21, 2010 08:03

Interesting comments about "Plundered", but I have to admit, I'm still flummoxed by Mathijs saying that Tumbling Dice has no hooks! Say what...???!eye popping smiley

Posted by: michel ()
Date: April 21, 2010 08:29

Kleermaker, is it your intention to set people up against eachother?
Come on man, everytime you appeal the mood gets bad,
I have a feelin that youre actually a nice guy but theres something about you... eye rolling smiley

New Stones single
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 21, 2010 08:05

There is so much hype bout their new single PMS is it really that good?

Re: New Stones single
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 21, 2010 08:06

It's that good....

Re: New Stones single
Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: April 21, 2010 09:00

the truth is: Is better than nothing!

Posted by: yahozna ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:07

highanddry
But it's so clearly scrapings from the bottom of the Exile barrel, it hurts.

...but they're really good scrapings.......
cool smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:58

71Tele
By the way, anyone else notice Taylor uses two distinctly different guitar tones on his fills? One is much more twangy than the other. He seems to go back and forth. Either two separate takes, or he switched the pickup on his guitar (which is something he used to do quite a bit live).

Absolutely, and on Ghostryders version with suppressed vocals you hear the twangy lick at 1:41 being made up of three different parts! This also makes it fairly unlikely that Taylor did this guitar in 2009, than you wouldn't have needed these edits.

Mathijs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 12:00 by Mathijs.

Date: April 21, 2010 12:34

Angus MacBagpipe
Interesting comments about "Plundered", but I have to admit, I'm still flummoxed by Mathijs saying that Tumbling Dice has no hooks! Say what...???!eye popping smiley

Maybe its a matter of definition. What is in your opinion the hook of Tumbling Dice?

Mathijs

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 17:13

ghostryder13
here's a version i made with out the lead vocals if anyone's interested.
[www.mediafire.com]

Thanks for posting that.

Given your post, here is my critical opinion on the song:

I thought that Mick was rushing the vocals, especially near the beginning.

My original assumption was that the instrumentals were somehow off-time and that Mick was trying to sync up with them.

However, the instrumentals-only version is in near-perfect time.

So this is basically Mick's doing. He has been rushing his vocals a lot lately. I thought that this was pretty evident in Shine a Light (the movie).

That aside, I still think it's a good song.

Re: Plundered My Soul - reviews and comments
Posted by: Brano ()
Date: April 21, 2010 17:39

Well I like the song better than anything on their last album, even though I dislike Jagger's singing in the verses. Mostly it's because of the rich production: it's a wonder how some carefully placed horns, back vocals and a smooth lead guitar (plus some piano and acoustic guitar for a more organic feel) can add to a song's grandeur. I hope they use these kind of arrangements on the next album 'cause "A Bigger Bang" sounded kinda simple and monotonous after a few listens, well at least to me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 17:42 by Brano.

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: April 21, 2010 19:55

I think its a great song, lyrics and all. VOCALS ARE GREAT! Mick can do no wrong if you ask me, but that is my opinion! I love the way Mick sings everything! He is an amazing vocalist, he can sing anything and sing it well. You always know its Mick but he does things differently in every song. He's really GREAT!
And as far as people nitpicking on everything the Stones do, why not just accept and enjoy? There will not EVER be another band like them, we wont hear from any newer band in forty years, you realize that right? No one can ever top them except them! Stones are a GIFT, and thank the Rock N Roll gods for them! They just get better and better! From A Bigger Bang and Back to Exile to the very first song they ever recorded, amazing stuff all around and in between. Nope people, it doesn't get any better than The ROLLING STONES!
Love the Stones (all of them,past present and future) Love Jagger Forever!
Just keep doing what you do,thank you Rolling STONES! I LOVE YOU!! xox

Forever and always
Mickschick
(colleen)

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:07

Mathijs, you commented on Keith's open G rhythm here - but something I mentioned earlier was that, aside from the intro, I don't even hear Keith (if that is indeed him in the intro).

Maybe I just need better speakers, but I honestly don't hear any Keith throughout the song. Again, maybe it's the mix, maybe it's the speakers on my computer - but my biggest disappointment with this track (which I like very much overall) is what sounds like a lack of good solid rhythm playing from Keith.

Can anybody else hear him very well? I am mostly just hearing Taylor's licks and fills.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:21

Mickschick
I think its a great song, lyrics and all. VOCALS ARE GREAT! Mick can do no wrong if you ask me, but that is my opinion! I love the way Mick sings everything! He is an amazing vocalist, he can sing anything and sing it well. You always know its Mick but he does things differently in every song. He's really GREAT!
And as far as people nitpicking on everything the Stones do, why not just accept and enjoy? There will not EVER be another band like them, we wont hear from any newer band in forty years, you realize that right? No one can ever top them except them! Stones are a GIFT, and thank the Rock N Roll gods for them! They just get better and better! From A Bigger Bang and Back to Exile to the very first song they ever recorded, amazing stuff all around and in between. Nope people, it doesn't get any better than The ROLLING STONES!
Love the Stones (all of them,past present and future) Love Jagger Forever!
Just keep doing what you do,thank you Rolling STONES! I LOVE YOU!! xox

Forever and always
Mickschick
(colleen)

whatever mick is paying you ain't enough....

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:22

highanddry
I wanted, desperately, to love this track.

But it's so clearly scrapings from the bottom of the Exile barrel, it hurts.

Jagger's 2010 vocal histrionics on this are awful. The lyrics are amateurish. There's no hook. It's an embarrassment. I'd give anything if it weren't so.

Agree 100% .Its simple and boring, as is the 'video'. I'm sorry.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:37

I start liking it a lot and especially the drums and the groove of the guitars.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:38

I like the song. It's classic Stones, period. I like the groove, the overall sound, the bass, the saxophone...

I also specially like the fact that the drums don't sound as if your head was into the snare and Charlie was hitting hard, as it happens to occur since what?, Dirty Work?

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 21, 2010 20:52

I think that the HOOK is created magically each time that CHARLIE stops hitting the toms and snare and just does the cymbal tapping bit... And BILL's fill notes on the bass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-23 07:14 by schillid.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: April 21, 2010 21:07

And the vocals provide a pretty good hook, too. They might be a little shaky at the beginning, but by the end Mick is bringing home the bacon. In part, what makes the song so effective is that although it starts out as a typical Jagger solo-era love song, it quickly becomes something approaching a classic Exile tune. I can't get the damn thing out of my head. Really looking forward to getting the bonus disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 21:08 by gimmelittledrink.

Date: April 21, 2010 22:03

theimposter
Mathijs, you commented on Keith's open G rhythm here - but something I mentioned earlier was that, aside from the intro, I don't even hear Keith (if that is indeed him in the intro).

Maybe I just need better speakers, but I honestly don't hear any Keith throughout the song. Again, maybe it's the mix, maybe it's the speakers on my computer - but my biggest disappointment with this track (which I like very much overall) is what sounds like a lack of good solid rhythm playing from Keith.

Can anybody else hear him very well? I am mostly just hearing Taylor's licks and fills.

Well, er, there's two guitars -a loud one left and a loud one right. There's a third one softly on the right, but don't bother.

The loud one left is Keith doing his open G thang, the loud one right is Taylor playing his divine lead.

If you can't here either one of them, one of your speakers ist kaput.

Jawohl.

Mathijs

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 22, 2010 00:48

Mathijs
theimposter

Well, er, there's two guitars -a loud one left and a loud one right. There's a third one softly on the right, but don't bother.

The loud one left is Keith doing his open G thang, the loud one right is Taylor playing his divine lead.

Jawohl.

Mathijs

Hey maybe it's the case - I just couldn't detect a strong rhythm guitar on the track. Hopefully it's computer speakers going kaput and not my ears. I guess I will find out when the cd arrives and I have a chance to play it through a proper stereo. Like I said, I hear Taylor just fine - but no Keith. And I hear too much Jagger - god he could have toned it down a bit.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2010 09:46

theimposter
And I hear too much Jagger - god he could have toned it down a bit.

Well, the new 'EXILE enlargement' seems to be the revenge of The Micks... Both Micks are mixed clearly more up than they were in EXILE... but it's alright with me.

- Doxa

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 22, 2010 12:11

theimposter
Mathijs
theimposter

Jawohl.

Mathijs

Hey maybe it's the case - I just couldn't detect a strong rhythm guitar on the track. Hopefully it's computer speakers going kaput and not my ears. I guess I will find out when the cd arrives and I have a chance to play it through a proper stereo. Like I said, I hear Taylor just fine - but no Keith. And I hear too much Jagger - god he could have toned it down a bit.

I had a similar impression listening to the first snippets on my computer. But it's a completely different experience when the track is playing on your stereo (and I only burned my CD from mp3) I can assure you the rythm guitar track is clearly audible, and it's a gas, gas, gas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-22 12:19 by Greenblues.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 22, 2010 22:34

It didn't do much for me at all, I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 22, 2010 22:39

it´s sound is great, it´s feeling, it´s allright and it fits exile BUT there´s no beginning and no end, it just flows, it´s like a jam

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 22, 2010 22:47

bluesinc.
it´s sound is great, it´s feeling, it´s allright and it fits exile BUT there´s no beginning and no end, it just flows, it´s like a jam

no beginning nor end? in the time-space continuum,i didn't even know that was possible...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 23, 2010 00:03

When first hearing Plundering My Soul, I couldn't get past the (IMO) POOR lyrics - and the obvious new vocals....not that I mind new vocals - but the whole thing sounded like an attempt of trying to recreate the "Exile-mood"....a bit forced.
Even wondered, and still wonder, if for instance the bassy horns are new overdubs....? If they are.....then it's forgery!
Anyway, I did get used to the new vocals after a few listens - and one can tell that Jagger (and also Charlie Watts) are the strongest bandmembers at this age; Jagger sings it well.....even if it's really different from the way he did it in 1972
So I have mixed emotions about it.....but all in all...I like Plundered My Soul - it has a nice groove....but it's impossible to just enjoy it and relax - like I can with other new & nice RS songs - like "Too Tight" - because Plundered seem like a bit of a bastard; like an antique, unique and slightly damaged work of art that has been copied and re-build up in plastic.....as a commercial for a travel-agency arranging flights to Athens.....placed on the floor next to the slick money-counting travelagent.
I guess I'd appreciate Plundering My Soul a lot more if I heard it on the radio or something, while doing something completely else - because it's pretty good on it's own - but alas....there's *something fishy* about it.
....unless it's just me who's crabby this week.....because it IS a nice song...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-23 01:08 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 23, 2010 00:24

Mathijs
71Tele
By the way, anyone else notice Taylor uses two distinctly different guitar tones on his fills? One is much more twangy than the other. He seems to go back and forth. Either two separate takes, or he switched the pickup on his guitar (which is something he used to do quite a bit live).

Absolutely, and on Ghostryders version with suppressed vocals you hear the twangy lick at 1:41 being made up of three different parts! This also makes it fairly unlikely that Taylor did this guitar in 2009, than you wouldn't have needed these edits.

Mathijs

Unless they are using both 1971 and 2009 guitars from taylor, which I suspect.

Posted by: edfeldsott ()
Date: April 23, 2010 00:38

If the Stones did this on the Jimmy Falon Show it would never sound the same since Mick Taylor does the lead parts. Ron Wood in his dreams could not play like Mick Taylor. No offense Ron.

Date: April 23, 2010 01:02

Love this song. it has that great sing-along hook from real Jagger "but it's my heart that you stole...but you plundered my soul"
I love at the end he sounds distorted singing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home