Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 22
Re: Plundered my friggin' Soul
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:34

I'm free to say what I want, any old time, within Bjornulf's rules, not yours, Mathijs. I was just talking to 71Tele only. So your hijack-remark is pointless to put it nicely.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:38

Oops again

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:43

kleermaker
I'm free to say what I want, any old time, within Bjornulf's rules, not yours, Mathijs. I was just talking to 71Tele only. So your hijack-remark is pointless to put it nicely.

Totally right, this is a place for all the different stonesfans, we do not know each other, so there should not be personal animosities.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:45

kleermaker

Sorry, but I agree with Mathijs on this. It seems you have a tendency to 'hijack' every topic where you post, with always the same subject and that is how great Taylor is in everything. He is a great guitar player, but not every topic is about Taylor.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2010 23:50

kleermaker

kleermaker, on this one I agree with Mathjis. I love having Taylor back - don't get me wrong. I just think it's not his most fluid playing. Doesn't mean I don't like it - I do. And I don't think Mathjis was bashing Taylor, at least the way I read his post. I agreed with almost everything he said about this track, even though I love it. Looking forward to hearing the magic of MT (as well as Wyman, Hopkins, etc) on the other ones.

Date: April 21, 2010 00:03

barbabang
kleermaker

Sorry, but I agree with Mathijs on this. It seems you have a tendency to 'hijack' every topic where you post, with always the same subject and that is how great Taylor is in everything. He is a great guitar player, but not every topic is about Taylor.

I'm back here by request of other members, barbabang. Members whom I highly respect. But I had some fine days when I didn't post here and only read some posts of members whose opinions I appreciate.

BTW: isn't there already a thread called "Plundered My Soul - reviews and comments"? What is the contrary of hijacking? Think about that. But you won't hear me complain about everybody starting a new thread to utter his or her unique opinions on PMS.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:10

kleermaker
barbabang
kleermaker

I'm back here by request of other members, barbabang. Members whom I highly respect. But I had some fine days when I didn't post here and only read some posts of members whose opinions I appreciate.

BTW: isn't there already a thread called "Plundered My Soul - reviews and comments"? What is the contrary of hijacking? Think about that. But you won't hear me complain about everybody starting a new thread to utter his or her unique opinions on PMS.

You did it again. You killed a perfectly good, honest and positive tread.

Mathijs

Date: April 21, 2010 00:11

71Tele
kleermaker

kleermaker, on this one I agree with Mathjis. I love having Taylor back - don't get me wrong. I just think it's not his most fluid playing. Doesn't mean I don't like it - I do. And I don't think Mathjis was bashing Taylor, at least the way I read his post. I agreed with almost everything he said about this track, even though I love it. Looking forward to hearing the magic of MT (as well as Wyman, Hopkins, etc) on the other ones.

Tele, I agree that it's not Taylor's most fluid or best playing, I already said that before. That's also not the issue here. I know you love having Taylor back, but re-read that post and maybe then you'll see what I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 00:12 by kleermaker.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:16

Please, drop this bs and get back to the original thread. We don't need no more drama queens...
Nice and interesting review by Mathijs indeed, although I still think the higlight of Plundered my Soul is Mick Taylor's playing.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:31

The Stones
Please, drop this bs and get back to the original thread. We don't need no more drama queens...
Nice and interesting review by Mathijs indeed, although I still think the higlight of Plundered my Soul is Mick Taylor's playing.

absolutely!

Amused
and more & more I'm amazed at what Bobby's playing... I'd call it rhythm saxophone smiling smiley

Yeah, that sax sounds great. reminds me of what the Dap Kings did for Amy Winehouse.
only Bobby already did that in '72.

I've been guitar noodling to the song and listend in phase-inverted mode.
you can nearly count how many drop ins Mick T. had.
also the ladies singing the backups - wow!

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:33

I like it as well. Damn what a rhythmsection.

Can you believe this has been lying around unbootlegged for all these years?
God knows what else they have! I would have been very happy with an instrumental version too. Would kill for instrumentals of everything there is left in the vaults for that matter. But I never thought they could come up with something this good and this unknown.

I wonder if there was a guide part of a melody on the tapes and bits and pieces of lyrics or if Jagger started with a blank page for the words and melody in 2009.

Still think the lyrics are crap, but it's a great song all in all. Nice to have out there.

DUIJF

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:37

As strange as the song's story maybe, it rocks and it rolls, it is enjoyable!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:44

windmelody
As strange as the song's story maybe, it rocks and it rolls, it is enjoyable!

and that is so true. Ya's can deconstruct it all ya want , but the song survives very well!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2010 00:47

Great to hear that one of the toughest guys in our 'critics section' here is also enjoying the greatness of this track.

- Doxa

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:34

open-g

how many?

open-g

i still only hear mick jagger on backups. confused smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:42

Mathijs
kleermaker
"Taylor is generic in my opinion. It’s not the fluid Taylor we expect (then again, he hardly plays anything fluid on Exile), it sounds heavily edited to my ears, and it’s just not the most inspiring licks ever laid to tape. It’s prominent and has a great sound, but it just isn’t memorable enough. I can see why they didn’t finish it in ’72." Quote Mathijs.

"Agree withy everything you said Mathjis

Great post." Quote 71Tele.

71Tele, I'm totally speachless. Don't you really understand what this guy is actually saying? It's just a sneer to Taylor, don't you see that? Of course it's not the best Taylor has ever played, not by far. But in the context of the song it's just great. Period. It's the best the song has to offer and it compensates Jagger's lousy vocals for a great deal. Without Taylor's guitar this song would be nothing to talk about. Well, you might endlessly talk about how great the drums and the bass sound, not to forget the piano, the sax, the percussion and the backup vocals.

Kleermaker, you're not going to hijack this tread with endless ranting again he?

It's not "just a sneer" to Taylor as I have no reason to do that. Taylor's playing is what it is, nice but not outstanding. It might be shocking to you, but there's more goodStones tracks whithout a blistering lead guitar by Taylor.

Mathijs

and so many classically wondfrous trax w Taylor playing perfect solid driving rhythm for keith as well. complete with wondrous little signanature lics and grace notes. yes taylor amazing when u just give him the reins and let him soar w charlie and bill and keith...BUT i just like to add that Mick Taylor more of a "weaver" per se than Ron...tho Ron from 77 thru early 80's was a joy. just sayin?
imho.

just sat down with friend fifteen years old. played him plunder, talked about the stones... he says "It's different, uh, I like Paint It Black." hmmmm . I put up bye bye johnny texas '72 full screen and loud. he watches awhile. comes to the comjputer, out of deference to all these OLD HISTORY guys i'm showing him and puts on vid of santana europa montreaux '80 and tells me hes a better version too. i ask him about plunder again. nothing. he puts on iron maiden 'aces high' and it's rocking right now . ohhh nooooo. born '95. i'm gonna have to sit him down next to my amplifier, no scratch that. he plays too. i put on paint it black. i win!! sorta... dohhhhh

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 03:00 by Beelyboy.

Date: April 21, 2010 03:41

stoneswashed77
open-g

how many?

I said nearly

stoneswashed77
open-g

i still only hear mick jagger on backups. confused smiley

the ladies are panned hard left & right, Mick and his own shadow are in the middle.
I might make a small clip of the seperated backings tomorrow. once you've heard them alone you'll recognize them in the mix.

Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:12

And don,t forget that after the Steel Wheels album ,Chris Jagger at that time had a n articlce about visiting the rehaersels during the Steel Wheels tour(in Backstage ,a Belgium music magazine)said that the critics after Steel wheels in the main musicall press said that the that the Stones are out of time.

Conclusion from Chris=It,s only Rock and Roll -just some music you can sing along while you,re drivin you,re car. You can dance on it and that,s it nothing more or less.

P.S I Like Plun.mySoul but I miss the so called hook or Mt solo.

bye.raed you next month

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:22

here's a version i made with out the lead vocals if anyone's interested.
[www.mediafire.com]

Date: April 21, 2010 04:31

right on thumbs up that's what I meant.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:39

By the way, anyone else notice Taylor uses two distinctly different guitar tones on his fills? One is much more twangy than the other. He seems to go back and forth. Either two separate takes, or he switched the pickup on his guitar (which is something he used to do quite a bit live).

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:53

Great post, Mathjis, but you never did indicate if you really care for the song!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:59

It does grow on you. I think it gets better with every listen. It appears to be getting some airplay in the Boston area

Date: April 21, 2010 05:16

I agree great song. Will it storm the charts no but it's what the real fans have been asking for and now that it's here everyone wants to crap all over it. Anyone who has extensive Stones bootlegs can tell you even the best Songs are not 100 percent complete and now they have added or taken away and everyone is complaining Take it for what it is something to bring yourself joy. The stones have been around almost 50 years and have nothing to prove. I once heard somewhere you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2010 05:20

MAINOFFENDER_2000
I agree great song. Will it storm the charts no but it's what the real fans have been asking for and now that it's here everyone wants to crap all over it. Anyone who has extensive Stones bootlegs can tell you even the best Songs are not 100 percent complete and now they have added or taken away and everyone is complaining Take it for what it is something to bring yourself joy. The stones have been around almost 50 years and have nothing to prove. I once heard somewhere you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

i'm trying and still hopeful of finding! thanks!!!!

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 05:33

kleermaker

I agree with kleermaker, anyone can say what they want, whenever they want on here, good or bad. I think know-it-all Mathijs was just worried that getting his ass kissed, once again, by everyone on here was going to be interrupted. I appreciate his knowledge, but not the arrogance he often delivers it with.

And how are kleermaker's comments anymore likely to change the direction of this thread than the remarks about TD's hooks/lack of, or the remarks about how people are so "blinded" that they are raving about an ok song as if it were great.

Initially, kleermaker's remarks didn't affect this thread anymore than anyone else's. They were barely commented on, and kleermaker seemed to be done with his point, until crybaby Mathijs whined about them.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:11

I vote for Nicos Oops The Third!

Or would that be Nicos Oops III?

Or no Nicos, just Oops III?

Should it be NICOS or Nicos? Sha-shadoobie. Does it matter?

Oops - my bad?

Oops for the love of Pete?

Who the hell is Pete anyway? Man this is plundering indeed.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:12

Somebody had to say it....

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:25

Are you trying to say it has more hooks than your Grand Pa's tackle box??? Uh huh!!!! Hi Elmo and Lukester--how about the last two Braves games??? Unlikely and unreal!!!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:29

I wanted, desperately, to love this track.

But it's so clearly scrapings from the bottom of the Exile barrel, it hurts.

Jagger's 2010 vocal histrionics on this are awful. The lyrics are amateurish. There's no hook. It's an embarrassment. I'd give anything if it weren't so.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home