Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Will "Plundered My Soul" get air play?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2010 15:39

Gazza
hot stuff
I think the new record company will work harder to get it on the air...And if fans like it and buy it then more radio
stations will Pick it up!
CALL YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATIONS AND ASK FOR IT!!!!

Doubt that'll work, to be honest.

In an era dominated by Clear Channel crap, most radio stations have a fixed playlist thats set well in advance, and with the music being computer-programmed, there's usually little room for manouevre for impulsive things like fan interaction.

That's right. You can call and email all you want, but if your classic rock station's playlist says it's time for that day's fifth playing of Steve Miller's Keep On Rocking Me Baby, then that's what you're gonna hear. Go ahead, give your classic rock jock a call, but don't be surprised if he/she's totally clueless about there even being a new Stones single.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 14, 2010 16:18

tatters
Gazza
hot stuff
I think the new record company will work harder to get it on the air...And if fans like it and buy it then more radio
stations will Pick it up!
CALL YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATIONS AND ASK FOR IT!!!!

Doubt that'll work, to be honest.

In an era dominated by Clear Channel crap, most radio stations have a fixed playlist thats set well in advance, and with the music being computer-programmed, there's usually little room for manouevre for impulsive things like fan interaction.

That's right. You can call and email all you want, but if your classic rock station's playlist says it's time for that day's fifth playing of Steve Miller's Keep On Rocking Me Baby, then that's what you're gonna hear. Go ahead, give your classic rock jock a call, but don't be surprised if he/she's totally clueless about there even being a new Stones single.

EXACTLY. Some Classic Rock stations may play it briefly, as a novelty and nothing more. Then it'll be right back to "The Stroke" by Bill Squier.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 14, 2010 18:06

another way of looking at it is: how much does it matter whether it gets airplay? We all seem to be saying that classic rock radio is not important.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 14, 2010 19:20

interestingly enough, the stones on facebook just posted this:

The Rolling Stones Austrian Fans aufgepasst! Am Freitag um 09:40 gibt es auf Hitradio Ö3 die Premiere des bisher unveröffentlichten Songs "Plundered My Soul"!

--> Plundered My Soul will be played on the mainstream (and by far biggest) radio station in Austria. I'm quite surprised grinning smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2010 19:23

cc
another way of looking at it is: how much does it matter whether it gets airplay? We all seem to be saying that classic rock radio is not important.

it matters not at all to me. haven't flipped on the radio in a couple of decades - do they still have jockeys?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 14, 2010 20:31

Either way the Stones need to push their new music. They need to play it live and find some type of marketing strategy that will at the very least make the public aware that the Stones have new music out there.

I am well aware of how radio stations play to their demo's, but I also believe that a band of the Stones status should be able to transend those demos.

If Led Zeppelin put out some new music I'd bet my life that rock stations would play it. Why not the Stones?

The Stones must find a way around this issue or they will truly become an oldies act.

P,S. True oldies acts don't play 70,000 seat football stadiums. I am convinced that there is an audience for new Stones music. They could start by delivering some great new music (don't try to compete with Lady Ga Ga) and promoting it.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 14, 2010 20:43

James Kirk
Either way the Stones need to push their new music. They need to play it live and find some type of marketing strategy that will at the very least make the public aware that the Stones have new music out there.

I am well aware of how radio stations play to their demo's, but I also believe that a band of the Stones status should be able to transend those demos.

If Led Zeppelin put out some new music I'd bet my life that rock stations would play it. Why not the Stones?

The Stones must find a way around this issue or they will truly become an oldies act.

P,S. True oldies acts don't play 70,000 seat football stadiums. I am convinced that there is an audience for new Stones music. They could start by delivering some great new music (don't try to compete with Lady Ga Ga) and promoting it.

Agreed. The Stones are not a true oldies act. They have way too many fans and are still attracting new ones.

Radio in the US is boring as .... these days. The JACK (insert call letters and frequency)FM stations that have sprung up all over the country are really one radio station run via satellite with local DJs in the morning for drive time.

Community radio and college radio have the best playlists, because each DJ gets to choose their own music. Most NPR stations have a few locally produced music shows as well that aren't too bad. Bill Shapiro hosts Cyprus Avenue on NPR. He is syndicated around alot of the country. When ABB came out he did an entire show around it. He's done a show around Exile too, so I'm sure there will be one that is exclusively the new Exile material.

Date: April 14, 2010 23:08

AngieBlue
James Kirk

Agreed. The Stones are not a true oldies act. They have way too many fans and are still attracting new ones.

Radio in the US is boring as .... these days. The JACK (insert call letters and frequency)FM stations that have sprung up all over the country are really one radio station run via satellite with local DJs in the morning for drive time.

Community radio and college radio have the best playlists, because each DJ gets to choose their own music. Most NPR stations have a few locally produced music shows as well that aren't too bad. Bill Shapiro hosts Cyprus Avenue on NPR. He is syndicated around alot of the country. When ABB came out he did an entire show around it. He's done a show around Exile too, so I'm sure there will be one that is exclusively the new Exile material.

These days DJ's are told what to play by guys in suits who listen to what their research shows them.

The Stones have to get rock radio to play their new stuff.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:28

Well I'm on the Email list for my local radio station and they sent me an email asking if I had any requests for vinyl friday. So I repsonded by asking them to play Pundered My Soul and explained this is a new Stones song from the upcoming remastered Exile. Actually a fairly decent radio station. In between the normal hot new songs they play to death. They do slip in some good stuff. PMS is somewhere in between new and old. I'm pretty certain they will play it at some point. Questiion is when and more importantly. How often.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 15, 2010 18:28

StonesTod
cc

it matters not at all to me. haven't flipped on the radio in a couple of decades - do they still have jockeys?

I don't think they do, in the sense of someone sitting there putting on records, let alone choosing what records to put on. But I think they still have "personalities": some guy had his car radio on loud outside my window the other day, and there was some banter between a male and female announcer about what
"guys" like and what "gals" like. It was like Jay Leno on the radio. I thought, who still listens to this crap?

Date: April 15, 2010 18:41

cc
StonesTod
cc

I don't think they do, in the sense of someone sitting there putting on records, let alone choosing what records to put on. But I think they still have "personalities": some guy had his car radio on loud outside my window the other day, and there was some banter between a male and female announcer about what
"guys" like and what "gals" like. It was like Jay Leno on the radio. I thought, who still listens to this crap?

i think the daze of the tom donahue's and the KSAN's are long gone - throw your radios away and put on some vinyl....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 15, 2010 18:53

StonesTod
cc
StonesTod
cc

i think the daze of the tom donahue's and the KSAN's are long gone - throw your radios away and put on some vinyl....

No their will never be another KSAN. But locally KFOG is still pretty good. It's not the automated robotic style of most radio stations.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 15, 2010 18:54

Nashville has it's ''classic'' rock stations, but this station [www.lightning100.com]
would be a likely candidate to play 'Plundered'.
If you go to their 'recently played' list, there is some good stuff inclding 2 Stones' songs since midnight.
Biggest negative [for me] is that they play too Dave Matthews [well, 'any' is too much smiling smiley

Date: April 15, 2010 19:15

sweetcharmedlife
StonesTod
cc
StonesTod
cc

No their will never be another KSAN. But locally KFOG is still pretty good. It's not the automated robotic style of most radio stations.

morey was the last link in the chain to the past daze of glory. now it's just another boring station....yawn....

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:00

Merger, merger, PLEASE

At the moment - I'm counting 9 (NINE) threads about "Plunder My Soul" on the first page here on Tell Me...
I think it's time for a giant merger.
Don't start any new threads about PMS - this is worse than Tourettes!
MERGER - MERGER, please

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 16, 2010 11:28

I can see Radio 2 in the UK playing it a fair bit as they have a very diverse programming schedule.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: April 16, 2010 12:04

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 16, 2010 12:15

still ill
I can see Radio 2 in the UK playing it a fair bit as they have a very diverse programming schedule.

Good assumption still ill. Chris Evans did indeed play it this morning. So great to hear a great new Stones song again on the radio. Takes me back to the 70s.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 16, 2010 12:25

Silver Dagger
still ill

Good assumption still ill. Chris Evans did indeed play it this morning. So great to hear a great new Stones song again on the radio. Takes me back to the 70s.

Can definitely see Ken Bruce,Radcliffe and Maconie even Steve Wright giving it a spin.Radio 2 is a great station,i can't listen to the commercial ones

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:29

I can only tell that virgin radio in italy played it 2 times only this afternoon.
I don't have other info. very good song anyway..

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2010 18:48

...every hour in NYC 104.3

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 16, 2010 19:09

it's not a strong song....not enough radio friendly.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 19:25

A friend of mine called me a couple of hours ago to ask if I'd heard it yet. He said it wasn't that good......angry smiley

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 19:40

Just heard the entire song on WZLX Boston's classic rock station. They said they will be playing it alot!!!!

Pretty good, I was, however, expecting a guitar solo at some point but to no avail, but good guitars throughout . . .

Date: April 16, 2010 19:50

Quick look shows it is the #1 most downloaded song on Amazon UK at the moment.

To put that in perspective Lady Ga Ga is #2.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 19:55

Geez might they actually have a shot at a #1 song?!?!?!!? 'Course that is the UK and their more recent work sells better there than here in the US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 19:55 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 16, 2010 22:29

The new single has been played quite a few times in the Boston/Providence area today and not only on oldies stations.

As a matter of fact the main rock station in Providence (94 WHJY) has "Plundered My Soul" as the lead story on their web site and there is a link to listen to the song.

It's too early to tell, but the new single seems to be off to a pretty good start.

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:36

Well, I called it in this afternoon and they played it!

Date: April 17, 2010 00:08

Morkos:

They are pretty good about supporting new Stones material. I believe that they gave "Rough Justice" more spins that any radio station in America, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:34

James Kirk
Morkos:

They are pretty good about supporting new Stones material. I believe that they gave "Rough Justice" more spins that any radio station in America, but I'm not 100% positive on that.
Why not play Stones instead of all the other junk that's in the "air"??
Who was complaing about U2 airplay?? U2 is mostlty crap and is Bono singing specially good? - No way. Jagger is as good.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2103
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home