Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Will "Plundered My Soul" get air play?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 13, 2010 07:00

Don't get my wrong I'm not expecting the new single to compete at pop radio with The Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga, but do you think the Stones will get a solid amount of play on rock staions or even on VH-1?

Do you think there is any chance of a crossover hit?

Just wondering.

Re: Will "Plundered My Soul" get air play?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 13, 2010 07:16

Just like every single since Don't Stop: limited airplay on classic rock stations, zero airplay on modern rock, pop or current/Top 40 stations.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 13, 2010 07:29

Dunno about air play, but it'll get a shitload of play in my living room when I get hold of it !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 13, 2010 09:15

BBC Radio 2, perhaps eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 09:19

My neighbours will for sure know that the Stones has released a new single.
I will play it loud 24/7. Might get evicted in the end!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2010 10:02

It will get played in my air.

Date: April 13, 2010 15:54

Why does an older band like U2 get airplay with new material but the Stones don't?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:03

The question is - will Ronnie see fit to play it on his radio show? winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:08

James Kirk
Why does an older band like U2 get airplay with new material but the Stones don't?

U2's current musical output is still considered to be relevant. When the Stones were 30 years into their recording career - as U2 are now - their records were still getting substantial airplay. I'm thinking Voodoo Lounge-era, here: Love Is Strong, Like A Rolling Stone, etc. U2's turn will come, IMO.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:12

I think the new record company will work harder to get it on the air...And if fans like it and buy it then more radio
stations will Pick it up!
CALL YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATIONS AND ASK FOR IT!!!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:31

hot stuff

I plan to do this, but it's quite pointless. My local "classic rock" station will probably play it a few times on the day of its release, and then never play it again.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:44

True---Unless people like it....Its all about the money!! ha...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 17:24

quit listening to radio 10 yrs ago or more. where i live it's mostly modern country music and modern pop music but even the classic rock stations suck around here , they only scratch the surface of what's out there from rock's past.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 13, 2010 17:36

Yeah it'll get played for a couple of weeks before being dropped. But that's pretty much what happens with all older bands new music. It gets played a couple of times and then....back to the hits.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 13, 2010 20:02

This appeared on Facebook. Great thought but optimistic at best...

Date: April 13, 2010 20:09

I don't understand how the Stones can sell millions of tickets on their last tour (the biggest of all time) and even rock radio stations won't play their new stuff.

Granted,older artists (The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen) can have big selling #1 albums and get almost no airplay, but I don't understand it.

If "Plundered My Soul" is as good as it sounds it should be played to an audience that is willing to pay top dollar and to fill up stadiums around the world.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 13, 2010 20:17

I am pretty sure Little Steven, Andrew loog Oldham and the other DJs on "The Underground Garage" at Sirius/XM will play the song if it's a good song. Classic rock stations will probably announce it and play the new Stones' music. And if the audience responds positively, they'll play it even more.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2010 20:20

James Kirk
I don't understand how the Stones can sell millions of tickets on their last tour (the biggest of all time) and even rock radio stations won't play their new stuff.

This is quite an interesting thing that has happened to the Stones. Their recorded work stopped being successful by their former chart-topping standards in the 1980s, yet they continue to be a top concert draw. This shows how strong the 1960s and 1970s catalog is. I would say that after a certain time, Mick & Keith stopped being great pop songwriters and reverted to the mostly blues/r&b foundation that produces fewer pop hits. U2 on the other hand, has continued to stay on top of the pop charts, as has Springsteen (though more sporadically in recent years). The segmentation of radio formats has also worked against them. They are not r&b enough for contemporary (mostly black) r&b radio, and they do not fit into the alt rock format either. It really leaves only "classic rock" as a radio format that they can fit into, and their newer material doesn't fit there either.

I remember the days where on the same Top 40 station you could hear the Stones, Dylan, Sinatra, Motown, and one-hit wonders. Those days are over.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:23

Not on the pop radio stations in the Netherlands, maybe on Radio2 (station for 40+) for two weeks

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:42

James Kirk

U2 are a generation younger than the Stones.

Their current records sell in larger quantities, they release new music more frequently and they still release 'proper' singles. They also promote their new music, which cant hurt.

They're seen as a 'current' act (but one with enough longevity to have 'oldies' as well). The Stones are pretty much exclusively an 'oldies' act.

Current music stations generally arent interested in 'oldies' acts. Its a different demographic and we all know how genre obsessed these radio stations like to be. Everything has to be conveniently placed in a little 'pigeonhole' with little or no room to cross over from one to the next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 01:43 by Gazza.

Date: April 14, 2010 01:46

James Kirk

Granted,older artists (The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen) can have big selling #1 albums and get almost no airplay, but I don't understand it.

If "Plundered My Soul" is as good as it sounds it should be played to an audience that is willing to pay top dollar and to fill up stadiums around the world.

More bizarrely, they can sell millions of tickets at massive prices and the people who attend the concerts cant or wont support their new music.

Then again, it seems the only thing connected to the Rolling Stones that you CANT buy at a Stones concert is a Rolling Stones CD. And in some cases, you'll hardly hear any new music at the gig either.

If the band cant maximise the potential of promoting their music (and especially their NEW music), its asking a bit much for radio stations to do it for them.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:10

Has to be stupid popmusik to get airplay.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:22

Do radio stations still have record players?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:35

If you guys feel that radio play is so important, then bombard your local stations with phoned-in requests for it.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 14, 2010 08:17

it's gonna get killer air play in my place mate. oh yeah; all summah long...

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 08:57

the stones music is not synthetic enough to get radio airplay.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 14, 2010 13:15

hot stuff
I think the new record company will work harder to get it on the air...And if fans like it and buy it then more radio

thumbs up..this is the only solution!

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 14, 2010 13:17

I know one radio show it will played on...cause hubby won't be able to come home if he doesn't. winking smiley

Posted by: orson ()
Date: April 14, 2010 13:31

it will be played on Bayern3
I´m sure

Date: April 14, 2010 14:16

hot stuff

Doubt that'll work, to be honest.

In an era dominated by Clear Channel crap, most radio stations have a fixed playlist thats set well in advance, and with the music being computer-programmed, there's usually little room for manouevre for impulsive things like fan interaction.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home