Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sonny Landreth - "From The Reach"
Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: August 25, 2008 11:07

What do you think about Sonny's new album? I don't understand much about guitar playing but this album sounds fantastic to me...

Re: Sonny Landreth - "From The Reach"
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 26, 2008 17:04

I haven't heard it, but saw him open for someone a long time ago, and he was very impressive live! Tons of slide guitar...

Posted by: bax ()
Date: August 26, 2008 17:31

Great album indeed...very nice slide guitar

Listen also to the album "Road we're on"...another great work from Sonny...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 26, 2008 20:58

Great musician, creative, intense playing. Always with a fine rhythm section, notably Dave Ranson, longtime bassist with Landreth.

check out the 'Live From Grant Street' disc, from 3 years ago I think...I saw him there, its a great little club in Lafayette LA

great bayou (somehow!) sounding slide playing. very reserved stage presence also, like Mick Taylor..

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:59

Mr Landreth is a great player for sure. The first time I've heard him has been on record in John Hiatt's band. Recommended tracks: "Tennessee Plates", "Everybody Went Low", "Almost Fed Up With the Blues".
Off the top of my head, I remember his playing on the Dr. John song "Georgianna", and his guitar stylings also grace the most of the songs from an album of Cajun/Louisiana vocalist Marce Lacouture entitled "La Joie Cadienne", from which I'd especially recommend the track "Soleil Apres Se Coucher".
And I think his own tune "Creole Angel" should have made it onto many a radio station's playlist, because it has Single written all over it.
I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with his other solo work besides the "South of I-10" album yet, though.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 27, 2008 03:06

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: August 27, 2008 09:12

"Grant street" is very good, yes. I just ordered "The Road We're On". Looking forward to listen to it...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:44

Great article on Sonny Landreth today in the New Orleans newspaper.

The article also contains a link to hear four of Sonny's new songs. Great stuff, check it out:

[blog.nola.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home