Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sonny Landreth - "From The Reach"
Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: August 25, 2008 11:07

What do you think about Sonny's new album? I don't understand much about guitar playing but this album sounds fantastic to me...

Re: Sonny Landreth - "From The Reach"
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 26, 2008 17:04

I haven't heard it, but saw him open for someone a long time ago, and he was very impressive live! Tons of slide guitar...

Posted by: bax ()
Date: August 26, 2008 17:31

Great album indeed...very nice slide guitar

Listen also to the album "Road we're on"...another great work from Sonny...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 26, 2008 20:58

Great musician, creative, intense playing. Always with a fine rhythm section, notably Dave Ranson, longtime bassist with Landreth.

check out the 'Live From Grant Street' disc, from 3 years ago I think...I saw him there, its a great little club in Lafayette LA

great bayou (somehow!) sounding slide playing. very reserved stage presence also, like Mick Taylor..

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 26, 2008 23:59

Mr Landreth is a great player for sure. The first time I've heard him has been on record in John Hiatt's band. Recommended tracks: "Tennessee Plates", "Everybody Went Low", "Almost Fed Up With the Blues".
Off the top of my head, I remember his playing on the Dr. John song "Georgianna", and his guitar stylings also grace the most of the songs from an album of Cajun/Louisiana vocalist Marce Lacouture entitled "La Joie Cadienne", from which I'd especially recommend the track "Soleil Apres Se Coucher".
And I think his own tune "Creole Angel" should have made it onto many a radio station's playlist, because it has Single written all over it.
I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with his other solo work besides the "South of I-10" album yet, though.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 27, 2008 03:06

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: August 27, 2008 09:12

"Grant street" is very good, yes. I just ordered "The Road We're On". Looking forward to listen to it...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:44

Great article on Sonny Landreth today in the New Orleans newspaper.

The article also contains a link to hear four of Sonny's new songs. Great stuff, check it out:

[blog.nola.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home