Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Karn Evil 9 Suite"
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:22

How many of you remember the Emerson, Lake & Palmer 4-part "Karn Evil 9" suite (technically three parts; the "1st Impression" part was originally divided in two as this part of the impression as a whole clocks at 13 minutes long which was too long for it to fit on the first side; the last 4 minutes were used to start side 2 of the LP, which appropriately greets listeners with this famous line: "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends!")?

The "3rd Impression" talks about man battling the computer ("Negative! Primitive! Limited!... I'm perfect! Are you?"). In the end, the computer prevails, as the song closes out with a futuristic arpeggiated synth pattern that speeds up with each repeat.

This can be found on the 1973 album Brain Salad Surgery, whose cover art was designed by H.R. Giger.

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 02:23 by BrianJones1969.

Re: OT: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Karn Evil 9 Suite"
Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:29

Amazing album and suite but this a stones forum !

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:37

These two bombastic triple live tortures are resting in my basement...forever.

Date: March 27, 2010 02:39

tumbling phil
Amazing album and suite but this a stones forum !
How many other Stones fans here actually listen to E.L.P.?

And one more thing, do you think maybe the Stones should cut a concept album as their upcoming album, that which features such an elaborate suite like this? It was Mick who wanted to take to using synthesizers on all the 1980s Stones albums.

~Ben

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:43

I like them but rarely give them a spin.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:01

I know it's not the same, but I'm going to see 2/3 of the trio next month.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:21

I'm a fan of the early ELP...would appreciate a review of this upcoming E/L tour...can't find any info about it on the www..just can't imagine playing King Crimson material without more musicians on stage...read an article recently in MOJO or Q where Keith says that Lemmy ( Motorhead ) was his roadie in the early days ! when Keith decided to spruce things up while on stage, he decided to stab his organ with a knife..for laughs I suppose...but Lemmy advised that if Keith was going to make this part of the show, he should use a MUCH bigger knife...Lemmy's knife was much bigger....great story....got some classic pix on my webside if you're interested...peterstupar.com ....peter

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:53

ELP were a great band in their time but sometime it's just painstakingly hard to get through that Karn Evil Suite.Sometimes I wonder what they were thinking while recording that wankfest.You wouldn't expect such miscalculated effort by three extremely talented and experienced musicians.I prefer their debut over Bran Salad surgery.They kinda burried themselves with their own self-indulgence.The worst exaples of that are those comical country flavoured songs like Benny the bouncer

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:57

There are some who think Satanic is one of the first true prog albums smiling smiley

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 27, 2010 12:14

ELP are playing the classic rock sponosored High Voltage festival at Victoria Park this summer.

It's gonna be a doozy! loads of cracking rock bands including:

ZZ Top
Heaven & Hell
Quireboys
UFO
Venom
Wishbone Ash
Uriah Heep

Gonna be rockin.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 27, 2010 16:47

Carl Palmer spends most of his time with Asia now, doesn't he? I recently downloaded a song from their new CD, it sounded OK!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: March 27, 2010 22:08

I think ELP should cover a Stones song? Which one....2000 Light Years?

Date: March 28, 2010 03:32

mckalk
I think ELP should cover a Stones song? Which one....2000 Light Years?
That title could do it for them, because it sounded futuristic even in 1967. Of course, Keith Emerson could give the song his own special touch (especially live in concert), what with his penchant for extended synthesizer jams.

How about... "Might As Well Get Juiced"?

Side note: Cary Grace, a female prog-rock artist (one of the few to do so) originally from the U.S. but (as of 2005) based in London, gave this song her own musical fashion.

~Ben

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 28, 2010 03:38

I'm very exited about ELP doing the HV fetival, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 28, 2010 04:05

....it's as if it was another life time ago....perhaps it should stay there?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 28, 2010 17:00

Ahh the good old days of progressive rock. perfect for the time. ELP, Gentle Giant etc. I saw alot of these bands in the mid 70's at Buffalo's old Aud and Century Theater. Like the bands times have changed.
By the way, great guitar lead by Greg Lake in Karn Evel for a bass player this guy could come up with some great guitar licks too.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 28, 2010 18:52

This music has become very uncool. I was a big fan. After "Welcome back...", I was no longer a fan. To a certain extent they were a big mistake, a side road in rock. The Nice was fine. Karn Evil part 1 rocks, but there`s too much technology. Stick to the first 3 albums. Skip the rest.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 28, 2010 18:58

I have not listened to ELP in twenty years though I'll leave Karenvil #9 on the radio if it comes on. The rest of their stuff is just not my taste. Somewhere I have a couple of their cd's. Lucky Man is ok too but that is it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 28, 2010 19:02

Alway's love there Pictures At An Exhibition, but to be honest I didn't play the record for more then 30 years

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 28, 2010 20:21

leteyer

see you there bro!!!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 1, 2010 11:19

Monkeytonkman
leteyer

see you there bro!!!

Absolutly...

ELP was my first concert back in 1974, I was 15yo and they opened a whole new world to me, one I just can't let go....Rock Concerts.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: April 1, 2010 16:57

Emerson and Lake are touring the United States right now. They are playing some very nice small theaters, so I will give them a try in New York- They are playing around the corner from our hotel. Hope they are still okay.I'll find out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home