Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Silver Train in '73
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 1, 2010 17:35

straycatblues73
stevecardi
In an interview during the 1973 tour, Mick T and Keith said they dropped this song from the set becasue it sounded too much like "All Down The Line." While I def agree with that statement, it is still a great song. Of anyone has the live version from the first London '73 show, please let me know where I can find it.

bluesharp would have saved it, they could have dropped rip this joint (what's the point).

As much as I love Exile, I always thought Rip This Joint was a weak live number.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 1, 2010 23:22

gosh i LOVE RTJ live from '72 tour and also w ron '75 l.a. and seattle.
this so seminal little richard chuck berry slammin' trad. rock and roll w amazing heat. amazing. whoooo. saw them do it live '72 and there was NOTHING weak about those moments in the set...wow.... the stand up bass on studio version so perfect.
this always very exciting uber hott stones song and track and live number imo

Date: April 2, 2010 23:27

Thanks for all the input on this one. Now one last question. During those times they did play it in 73, which guitar did he use? A Tele or the Newman Jones? (I used to think that newman jones was the ugliest guitar ever, but have come to appreciate it's nasty sound from that time.)

BTW, here is a torrent from hunger city with Silver Train from London

[www.hungercity.org]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 2, 2010 23:54

[email protected]
Thanks for all the input on this one. Now one last question. During those times they did play it in 73, which guitar did he use? A Tele or the Newman Jones? (I used to think that newman jones was the ugliest guitar ever, but have come to appreciate it's nasty sound from that time.)

[www.hungercity.org]

I'm banned from HC because of a too low ratio. Can you name the title of this boot? Maybe there's another torrent-site with this one (must be London, 1973 Sept 7). An upload of this show would be appreciatedsmiling smiley.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 3, 2010 16:14

71Tele
straycatblues73
stevecardi
In an interview during the 1973 tour, Mick T and Keith said they dropped this song from the set becasue it sounded too much like "All Down The Line." While I def agree with that statement, it is still a great song. Of anyone has the live version from the first London '73 show, please let me know where I can find it.

bluesharp would have saved it, they could have dropped rip this joint (what's the point).

As much as I love Exile, I always thought Rip This Joint was a weak live number.

no way!!! a classic live song...at the time.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 4, 2010 16:23

Eleanor Rigby
71Tele
straycatblues73
stevecardi

no way!!! a classic live song...at the time.

only great version is the brussels one , with mick taylors lovely long notes in the alabama bit, and guitar solo. The only guitar solo in RTJ 72/73? done for the recording i suppose but why change it.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 4, 2010 18:23

straycatblues73

only great version is the brussels one , with mick taylors lovely long notes in the alabama bit, and guitar solo. The only guitar solo in RTJ 72/73? done for the recording i suppose but why change it.

Not sure about that. I thought Taylor often soloed along with Bobby Keys during Keys' second lead break. I think he does on "Rip This Joint" from Philly 7/20/72 but this is from memory so I would have to check. But I don't think it was uncommon for him to do that.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 4, 2010 18:40

kleermaker
[email protected]

[www.hungercity.org]

I'm banned from HC because of a too low ratio. Can you name the title of this boot? Maybe there's another torrent-site with this one (must be London, 1973 Sept 7). An upload of this show would be appreciatedsmiling smiley.

Moonlight-Mile & kleemaker are you talking about this one ?

[www.iorr.org]

Eleanor Rigby
i find the song all round just lame.
very repetitive, with Mick trying to save it with his screaming vocals.
I've always find it quite boring ,repetitive & limited too .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 4, 2010 19:12

SwayStones
kleermaker
[email protected]

[www.hungercity.org]

Moonlight-Mile & kleemaker are you talking about this one ?

[www.iorr.org]

Eleanor Rigby
i find the song all round just lame.
very repetitive, with Mick trying to save it with his screaming vocals.
I've always find it quite boring ,repetitive & limited too .

[www.iorr.org]

Yep, that's the one. Very bad sound quality, Jagger hardly singing (where is Taylor?). Vienna Sept 1 is much better.

I like the version on Goats Head Soup. Especially because of Taylor's playing. It also has 'Schwung'. When played loudly I long for the summer, for La Côte d'Azur in particular. Went to it (Juan les Pins/Antibes) several times by train, before the Russian or whatever maffia took it in its sway. Been in Antibes by car a couple of years ago, but boy, was it busy. Already in April or the beginning of May!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-04 19:13 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 5, 2010 23:47

[email protected]

If you're talking about Silver Train live in '73: that's the Newman Jones five string.

Mathijs

Date: April 6, 2010 03:23

Mathijs
[email protected]

If you're talking about Silver Train live in '73: that's the Newman Jones five string.

Mathijs

Yep That was what I was asking, thanks for the info. BTW, was the Newman Jones one of the ones that were stolen or caught in the redlands fire? I don't think I ever have seen any pics of it except from La73-Berlin73. After that it seems to have disappeared.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 6, 2010 03:59

Always liked when Mick & Keith shared a mic. Not really sure why though.......

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: April 6, 2010 20:01

Are you kidding me, this is fabulous stuff!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 7, 2010 11:42

kleermaker
SwayStones
kleermaker

are you talking about this one ?

[www.iorr.org]

Yep, that's the one. Very bad sound quality, Jagger hardly singing (where is Taylor?). Vienna Sept 1 is much better.

I am glad I could help ...for once .tongue sticking out smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 7, 2010 16:51

SwayStones
kleermaker
SwayStones
kleermaker

are you talking about this one ?

[www.iorr.org]

I am glad I could help ...for once .tongue sticking out smiley

Thanks SwayStones! Very much appreciated! But I saw it already in the Buy/Sell/Trade section:-). Those uploaders of IORR are amazing! The minute you ask something they do it for you. They're really great and nice people. I've downloaded so much wonderful stuff thanks to them. I could tell that 'Vienna' is much better because I have downloaded that from IORR as well:-).

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 7, 2010 18:27

Like several songs on GHS, Silver Train is sunk by positively crap lyrics.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:24

GREAT GREAT video - and song

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home