Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best frontman ?
Posted by: libertine ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:00

What's the deal with the Oasis haters at this forum? I don't think that Liam is a better frontman than Jagger but Oasis is great and so is Liam.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:00

Green Lady
Q's List

1 Liam Gallagher
2 Bono
3 Freddie Mercury
4 Damon Albarn
5 Chris Martin
6 Matt Bellamy
7 Jim Morrison
8 Bob Marley
9 Paul McCartney
10 John Lennon
11 Robbie Williams
12 Debbie Harry
13 Mick Jagger
14 Morrissey
15 John Lydon
16 James Brown
17 Bruce Springsteen
18 Robert Plant
19 Tom Meighan
20 Joe Strummer

I must admit to saying WHO? a few times (and wot, no Who?): about what you'd expect from a voting list of British 18-30s.

This Q list looks like whatever/nonsense IMO.
Bono on the 2d place .....ha ha ,it must be a joke !
I saw the man in a theater and he doesn't get a hundredth endowment .

So....I would say :

The 1st one is Mick Jagger OF COURSE !!

Then follows Robert Plant & ...Jared Leto .

What did I say ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:18

Pretty loose list.

I don't think Lennon or Maccartney are frontmen really, and I wouldn't call James Brown a front man. He's just James Brown.

Springsteen seems more like an individual artist too.

I would think Micheal Stipe and Peter Gabriel (for genesis) and Ozzy would be somewhere on a legitimate list of great frontmen.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:28

how iggy pop is not on that list is beyond me.
some other good ones include:
smokey robinson
nick cave
josh homme
scott weiland
sly stone!
and shane macgowan (mostly for his teeth)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 19:29 by bernardanderson.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:42

That list is rather embarrassing. A frontman doesn't play guitar most of the show, so that eliminates McCartney, Lennon, Springsteen, even Joe Strummer (and I am a big fan of all 4). A frontman is the focal point, you are watching his every move, what is he going to do next, he has the crowd in the palm of his hand. I love Oasis but Liam just stands there and sneers through most of the show...not the greatest band to watch visually.

The best frontmen (in no order):

Mick Jagger
Elvis Presley
James Brown
Bono
Michael Stipe
Freddie Mercury
Jim Morrison
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Peter Gabriel
Jim Kerr
Ian Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 19:43 by Rochdale3.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:46

Bono No 2?! Oh my days confused smiley

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 26, 2010 19:57

Saw Oasis open up for Neil Young & Crazy Horse in Barrie, Ontario in 1996 - found them tiresome and boring. I'm not saying they are a bad band but clearly I didn't think they were any match for the Stones in their prime. The one name that keeps popping up is Freddie Mercury which I understand from the point of view of him being a good performer but I don't think Queen's music is really all that great. I can't stand We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody is a novelty song. A lot of what they did isn't really rock 'n' roll. Jagger in rooster on acid prime was the best white front man. James Brown, Michael Jackson and Prince are probably the three best frontmen I've ever seen. Yes Iggy is amazing.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:11

Always overlooked: Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:14

van morrison earliest seventies...electric fascinating poweful transcendent

o course mick owns this category; re-invented it...itS hjs; everybody shutup... there's elvis of course...
and mick's the only other cat that totally natural royalty prowling the stage with heart ferocity and electric energy beyond description...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 20:16 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:18

Chris Martin a better front man than Jagger, Springsteen, James Brown and, in fact, every frontman in history bar four? I mean, seriously?

It's 'Q' magazine, for @#$%& sake. Why bother getting worked up. Everyone over the age of 25 that I know gave up on that tiresome publication years ago. Whereas it once led the field with sharp, incisive music journalism, almost every issue in recent years tends to be padded out with attention-seeking space-filling 'lists'.

Obviously compiled by a group of readers who discovered music within the last 5 years.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:22

i always thought Ray Davies of the Kinks was an underrated frontperson...considered more of a singer/songwriter....saw the Kinks in the late '70s during the Misfits/Low Budget era and Davies was on fire

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:22

We're talking about real frontmen, not about posers!
Mick's simply the best frontman alive, and he can prove it nearly every show!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:26

a gentle reminder that there are no "bests," only personal faves. thank you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:38

T&A
you are the sage of iorr with all the wisdom that you are giving us i also like your comment on the thread about keith's before they make me run song where you said enough already .you are so correct!!!

Date: March 26, 2010 20:40

The Greek
T&A
you are the sage of iorr with all the wisdom that you are giving us i also like your comment on the thread about keith's before they make me run song where you said enough already .you are so correct!!!

i know. i'm thinking of asking bv for a raise...

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: March 26, 2010 20:42

Let's not forget about Peter Wolf of the J.Geils Band.

Date: March 26, 2010 20:43

T&A
The Greek
T&A

you deserve it and more .

Date: March 26, 2010 20:49

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

well, i've been working strictly on commissions up to this point. i get a quarter each time i upset someone here. no base wages at all. i'm thinking of foregoing the commissions altogether and having bv triple my wages....good thinking?? think bv will go for it? kinda nervous about asking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 20:49 by T&A.

Date: March 26, 2010 20:57

T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

well, i've been working strictly on commissions up to this point. i get a quarter each time i upset someone here. no base wages at all. i'm thinking of foregoing the commissions altogether and having bv triple my wages....good thinking?? think bv will go for it? kinda nervous about asking.
ya gotta go in with some fancy charts and graphs (i can hear letterman) and make your case .i think you should be treated fairly and receive the upgrade.

Date: March 26, 2010 21:00

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

ya gotta go in with some fancy charts and graphs (i can hear letterman) and make your case .i think you should be treated fairly and receive the upgrade.

yeah, well the worst that could happen is that i upset him by asking and he has to pay me the quarter, right?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:03

Mick by miles.

Date: March 26, 2010 21:03

T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

yeah, well the worst that could happen is that i upset him by asking and he has to pay me the quarter, right?
i think you should get more !

Date: March 26, 2010 21:10

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

ok! 5 times my current wages, then!!! But, that's my final offer!!!!!

Date: March 26, 2010 21:23

T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

you can use me as a reference(comes from the greek word reefer)

ok! 5 times my current wages, then!!! But, that's my final offer!!!!!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:26

In 10 years from now the list will be topped by Taylor Swift, Justin and Britney, no one under 50-55 will vote for Mick Jagger in a Top 20.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:29

sirdoug
Let's not forget about Peter Wolf of the J.Geils Band.

Bingo.

Peter Wolf
Mick
Iggy
Everybody else...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 26, 2010 21:39

alice cooper,rod stewart,jimi hendrix,ray davies

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:04

Liam Gallagher's not the best frontman ever but he's up there. Probably the single most charismatic musician I've ever seen. He barely moves onstage bar walking about a bit but his presence is so compelling - I'd take it over Mick's idiot dancing any day. He can make the crowd go insane by shaking a tambourine. Great voice too, needless to say, and he's written some very decent songs in recent years.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 26, 2010 22:09

While Mick is my favourite, Freddy Mercury's legacy as a live frontman leaves me wondering who even came close to him. Watch Live Aid folks. Mick's still way up there though, that's why the Stones are the Stones for me.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 26, 2010 22:17

mick certainly knows how to work a stage and a crowd and all that. and he is definitely one of the main prototype frontmen who have shaped all those that have come after him. having said that, mick stopped evolving his stage character several decades ago, and it's become a kind of rote thing for him...and frankly, as a result, kinda boring. he does his own nightly version of "good to be here/anywhere" stage act; the spontaneity has left the building....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home