Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OK You're A Stones Fan But Why Do You Like Keith Richards?
Date: September 7, 2008 20:55

Keith has always been my favourite Stone and I've often wondered why he is to so many others. His playing is often sloppy and sporadic. I also can't see how or why any woman (or queer for that matter) would find him physically attractive.

That being said, I must acknoweldge that he has got to be in the top three all time list of rhythm AND lead guitarists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 20:55 by knockyourteethout.

Re: Keith
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 7, 2008 23:06

it's his Keith Richardsness that does it - like no other can

Re: OK You're A Stones Fan But Why Do You Like Keith Richards?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 7, 2008 23:45

I don't like him.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: September 7, 2008 23:52

Like? Bit of a lukewarm word, love him, hate him, maybe both

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 7, 2008 23:56

Sleepy City
I don't like him.

Then why are ya here?

Date: September 8, 2008 00:00

Baboon Bro
Sleepy City
I don't like him.

Then why are ya here?

For Mick Jagger...

OK, I was joking, but he's probably my 2nd-least favourite of the original Stones (Bill would come last), with me much preferring Mick, Brian & Charlie.

But of course I admire his musical abilities greatly (though I'd admire him even more if he stopped singing lead vocals on albums & in concerts)... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-08 00:06 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 8, 2008 00:05

Because Keith is a great poser...

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: September 8, 2008 00:23

Because he is himself.....he is what he is....and says what he feels.....

Date: September 8, 2008 00:36

The Stones
Because Keith is a great poser...

This is one reason I have a bit of a "problem" with him, especially these days. It seems that at some point over the years the posing took priority over the playing (there's very little posing on classic shows like Ladies & Gentlemen The RS...).

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 8, 2008 00:37

Probably cause a small part of you wants to be like him.....

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: September 8, 2008 01:11

.............or even a large part

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 8, 2008 07:26

Keith has not shown the consistency of Mick and Charlie, but when he is on, that is when the Stones are the best band ever. He is the wildcard for the winning hand that you may or may not get.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 8, 2008 14:29

Because he is Keith Richards.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 8, 2008 15:58

Sleepy City
Baboon Bro
Sleepy City
I don't like him.

Then why are ya here?

For Mick Jagger...

OK, I was joking, but he's probably my 2nd-least favourite of the original Stones (Bill would come last), with me much preferring Mick, Brian & Charlie.

But of course I admire his musical abilities greatly (though I'd admire him even more if he stopped singing lead vocals on albums & in concerts)... smoking smiley

<<< though I'd admire him even more if he stopped singing lead vocals on albums & in concerts)... >>>

Yeah, me too. Backing vocals Great, as always. Lead ? Not for me thanks. Maybe once upon a time, not in latter years.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 8, 2008 16:19

Keith Richards is an eccentric and either you like him or you hate him. He is a great character,sometimes very controversial but he can also be humble and self deprecating. Keith Richards is a rock and roller.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 8, 2008 16:35

Keith is Keith. I don't see him apologizing for that anytime soon. Nor should he.

Again, it's down to "Public image/Private reality"...I doubt very much that the public Keith "persona" is the same when he's at home with Patti and the family.

What has always struck me about Keith Richards, aside from his guitar playing and songwriting talent, is his intelligence. He may come across as fairly incoherent from time to time, but I'd reckon Keith is one of the smarter, more articulate rockers out there. Very well read, and knows his history. Very down to earth as well; he strums his acoustic, smokes his ganja, drinks his vodka, eats his Shepherds Pie and reads his WWII books. What's not to admire about someone like that. Keith Richards is not only one of my favourite guitarists but one of my big time heroes as well. As far as I'm concerned, he IS The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 8, 2008 17:02

2nd coolest mofo alive, behind the great Charlie Watts.

Re: Keith
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: September 8, 2008 20:56

with sssoul
it's his Keith Richardsness that does it - like no other can

I guess you hit the nail on the head there, with sssoul!

Jesus Murphy, I completely agree with you.
What I personally have always admired about Keith, apart from his musical talent, his ability to write songs that just HAVE to touch your heart at some point - more so in the earlier days, these days I tend to think something must be distracting him (honestly now, don't you think there are worse songs by they-are-not-Keith-Richards-persons than , say, Infamy. It's definitely not my fav Keith song and I know there are many people saying they really don't like it, which is okay, but I personally can even find genious in this composition of his - his guitar playing (even though it might come across a little sloppy in the latter days, but that's natural, I mean c'mon he's not 26 anymore and I think contrary to many others his age he's still the best!) and also his work with piano and vocals.....what I've always admired about Keith Richards aside from these things, is that just IS what he IS and he doesn't make any effort to hide it, y'know.
I mean, of course the "Keith persona", as you put it Jesus Murphy, is certainly different to what he is when he's at home, no doubt, but there's just something about Keith that appears honest, upright, smart, witty and cool. And all that so effortlessly. I bet other musicians in that biz would kill to be anything like this, to be able to come across like the rock'n'roller and the smart, well educated chap at the same time without having to try so hard, like Keith can.
You know, I very often have the feeling that looking at Keith you know in the first instant what you are dealing with. While with others it's more like: "Well, I dunno, he seems to be acting." you know. (I might add here, that's how I sometimes feel about Mick Jagger...I believe he is indeed acting most of the time. He does a great job, though.I gotta say...) And that's not the case with Keith at all!

Well, I gotta shorten this, otherwise I'll end up writing pages. *lol* I guess you get the idea of what I wanna express.

Btw, I find Keith damn attractive!! Lots of people laugh at me whenever I say it and they say he's "outstandingly ugly", but I say HE'S NOT!
He is very attractive indeed in a way I can't even explain to myself. I just love these eyes and that super-cute, honest Cheshire smile! It's just his whole appearance, you know. "A touch of destiny" *gg*.

Charli

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-08 20:57 by CharliMoon.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 8, 2008 21:14

knockyourteethout
Keith has always been my favourite Stone and I've often wondered why he is to so many others. His playing is often sloppy and sporadic. I also can't see how or why any woman (or queer for that matter) would find him physically attractive.

That being said, I must acknoweldge that he has got to be in the top three all time list of rhythm AND lead guitarists.

he IS rock n roll!
and one hell of a rhythmguitar player! he's the coolest motherfvcker on this planet!
but he is a lousy leadguitarplayer!

Date: September 8, 2008 22:02

I still find Mick & Brian far more interesting & complex charactors...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 9, 2008 01:22

doubledoor
Keith has not shown the consistency of Mick and Charlie,

I would like to test his "consistency".

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 9, 2008 01:34

Keith makes me happy! And he's so bloody gooood!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 9, 2008 06:56

The riffs, the attitude!

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: September 9, 2008 07:01

Well, anyway, He he he´s good ya know, and it´s good to be here ya know, it`s good to be anywhere ya know....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 9, 2008 08:48

its funny because Im trying to think of what to say after writing in the Mick thread, and all the stuff I would say is exaclty the same, he just does it in HIS way.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 9, 2008 08:57

I learned to love music by listening to the Stones.
I learned to play guitar by listening to Keith Richards.

Date: September 9, 2008 16:47

He's the coolest gunslinger around.

Posted by: Jesus Murphy ()
Date: September 9, 2008 17:52

schillid
I learned to love music by listening to the Stones.
I learned to play guitar by listening to Keith Richards.

Agreed and agreed...right down to the 5-string Telecaster, open G style!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 9, 2008 18:42

Why Do You Like Keith Richards?

Allow me to suggest a better question: if you're a Stones fan, why wouldn't you like Keith Richards?

But to answer your question, there are actually two answers:

1. I have heard him play the guitar.
2. His heart beats rock'n roll.

Put differently, more than any musician I've heard, his playing give me a reason to get up in the morning and a hundred reasons beyond reason itself to stay up all damn night.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:00

I've always admired his raunch approach to playing riffs and rhythms and the little licks here and there that poke out. As well as the sympathetic playing he is so good at doing. And his flare for ballads is outstanding.

Also his depth - so many ways and styles of playing (reggae, latin, celtic, etc...) but maybe most of all his love for music and all variations on it (read: rap is not included because it's not music - music requires interaction with a person and an instrument) and his plethora of knowledge in regards to music. Without being a fan of The Rolling Stones there are a lot of bands and musicians I probably would not know about. And Keith Richards is a big part of that (Mick is too).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home