Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Before They Make Me Run- The Stones Worst Vocal Ever?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:03

mitchflorida
If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12.

This makes my day! I don't understand how someone can post this.

This is how I think - IF someone likes the Stones, then he/she has fairly good taste in music (according to me). Such person will most likely not watch the Idol at all, but okay, I can somehow understand that some do. But how can someone compare this purely commercial s...t, where the main point is to attract wide audience to earn money on commercials...with the Stones, who defined the rock music as we know it? An vice versa - if someone is able to post such a comment, how is it possible, that he/she likes the Stones? That is somehow beyond me.

No offence mitchflorida, I just really felt like I had to comment on this :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 13:03 by Happy24.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:12

If I was made to sit and watch America idol...hard work it would be I would look forward to the commericals to come on.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:14

I don't know which one is Stones Worst Vocal Ever, but Before They Make Me Run is one of my favourite Kiff vocals!!!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:43

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
It's never bothered me and I've never really thought it's a bad vocal. If you want perfection go listen to opera. This is rock'n'roll for gawdsake.

It being rock n' roll doesn't excuse atrocious vocals, and KR offers up no shortage of atrocious vocals. Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but to not acknowledge that Keith's vocal ability is poor in general, and on occasions downright awful, is completely absurd. Whether it bothers you or not is a different issue, but you'd have to be completely tone deaf and belligerent into the bargain not to at the least acknowledge that vocals ain't our heros's strongest point. How many threads on IORR do you think there are on the subject ? Dozens, hundreds I shouldn't be surprised. A minority view therefore ? I don't think so !

Bob Dylan's albums in the last 10 years have some of the most atrocious vocals known to man but that doesn't make them any less endearing. In the context of rock'n'roll it's a perfect imperfection. It's a lived in voice. Like all those blues cat growlers from way back when. You just gotta love those blues cats.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:50

mitchflorida
Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12. Maybe he had a cold that day.

Mitch, did you used to work on Talk Radio? Sounds like a bit of a wind up or you are 12 years old.

American Idol = UK's X Factor = moronic TV for morons.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:51

Personally, Jaggers vocals live in '75 have always got my vote.

Date: March 25, 2010 13:55

Mitchflorida..ya getting a bit of hard time today..mate

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:58

Captain Teague
mitchflorida
Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12. Maybe he had a cold that day.

Mitch, did you used to work on Talk Radio? Sounds like a bit of a wind up or you are 12 years old.

American Idol = UK's X Factor = moronic TV for morons.

Incredibly popular moronic TV tho'!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:59

mitchflorida
stop right there ,you just lost any credibility you might have had by going there .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 13:59 by The Greek.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:23

mitchflorida

To me, He, maybe without knowing, said such an interesting thing.
In today discography, especially in tv talents shows, they all have clean standard voice, such perfect in pitching and timbre. A voice like Keith one, would never have space now. If Before They Make Me Run was recorded now, and it was not Keith, it would have sounded so WEIRD on the radio.

Said this, Before They Make Me Run vocals, is to me one of Keith finest moment ever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:28

mitchflorida
Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12.

Thank Christ he wouldnt, and thats precisely WHY he sounds good!

A song which deals with trauma and personal pain would no doubt benefit from some kind of pitch perfect, soulless, plastic bubblegum type vocal delivery, wouldnt it?

I think its safe to say that either you're just trolling or you simply miss the entire point of the Stones to begin with (never mind that particular song) if you're using American Idol as a barometer of quality. How old are you? About 14?

I've heard it all now. A Stones fan criticising them for not being tuneful enough to sing on American Idol. Christ almighty.

Worst Stones vocal ? - Jagger's on the 'Dirty Work' album and on most of 'Love You Live'.

71Tele
You're certifiably nuts, Mitch...

thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 14:32 by Gazza.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:32

Doxa
I kind of like Keith's vocal delivery in that BIGGER BANG "Little T&A". He puts some real interpretation and passion into it. Instaed back in 1981/82 he just delivered it with the the attitude of "let get this done as quick as we can" and his vocals turned to be quite nervous - for some reason he couldn't really handle the spot of attention for his singing by then yet.

As far "Before They Make me run" goes: I love his vocals there but I agree with the observation that there is something shakey and "out of tunity" in its whole setting there - but that is quite usual for the Stones in their chaotic, messy brilliance. I have some friends who have so pure, trained ears that they honestly cannot listen the Stones due their sloppiness in being in tune (it is not the vocals but the whole orchestration - it usual that at least soemone screws up in tuning.) Fvck 'em (and let them listen to The Beatles) but it is true that especially Mick and Keith always struggle for being in tune - it doesn't seem to deliver from them naturally. But like said that is part of their charm. They make great noise... Some of it is probably done with purpose; the effect of American black music and its tendency to break up teh harmonical puriness of European classical music tradition rules. To get the right "feeling" will look bad if accurately written down.

- Doxa

You don't actually believe all this shit do you?

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 25, 2010 14:34

Gazza
mitchflorida
Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12.

Thank Christ he wouldnt, and thats precisely WHY he sounds good!

A song which deals with trauma and personal pain would no doubt benefit from some kind of pitch perfect, soulless, plastic bubblegum type vocal delivery, wouldnt it?

I think its safe to say that either you're just trolling or you simply miss the entire point of the Stones to begin with (never mind that particular song) if you're using American Idol as a barometer of quality. How old are you? About 14?

I've heard it all now. A Stones fan criticising them for not being tuneful enough to sing on American Idol. Christ almighty.

Worst Stones vocal ? - Jagger's on the 'Dirty Work' album and on most of 'Love You Live'.

71Tele
You're certifiably nuts, Mitch...

thumbs up

Before They Make Me Run is one of the greatest songs of all-time. Why? Because it's all true - Keith doesn't need to 'interpret it' he lived it.

Date: March 25, 2010 14:50

Mitchflordia..Has taken some big hits today..

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:33

mitchflorida it's the finest Keith's moment! try to sing it yourself, he's doing great. you're out of your mind!

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:38

His pitch is fine.His vocal timber is unique on BTMMR. He sounds quite nasaland his voice as recorded sounds rather thin. The song sounds great and is a Keith classic.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:43

i love BTMMR, and Keiths voice sounds fine to me, however, i have always thought that the production of the track leaves it sounding a little weak and thin. lacking balls. i don't know if the guitars need more drive, or the bass more depth, but it sounds to me like a demo (albeit a glorious one).

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:52

I am glad that Keith became a better singer after BTMMR. The studioversion has a nice groove though.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:09

The Greek
mitchflorida
stop right there ,you just lost any credibility you might have had by going there .
Best answer yet. Not even letting him finish. LOL!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:23

CindyC

and with that, I PROUDLY add my signature

you doing something proudly? is that a first? how does it feel?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:37

is this the age we live in? we judge a person's singing ability based on whether or not they could succeed on American Idol!? wow! stop the ship, i want to get off!

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:42

I love Keith's voice on stuff like Happy, BTMMR and Little T&A. The recorded versions, that is. When he was able to sing in a higher register back then it was great. Most stuff since? Not so good, especially when he talk/sings or sounds like someone who is trying to sing even though they've lost their voice. It can be painful at times when he only sings 80% of a line.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:46

Another idiot trying to get his 2 pages of attention on IORR.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:50

Probably one of the greatest Stones moments for me personally was when I was driving to LA before Some Girls came out. The radio station had it and they played BTMMR. I almost drove off of Interstate 10, it sounded so great.

Keith has done some very bad vocals (particularly live), but the studio version of BTMMR is perhaps his finest moment apart from "Happy".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2010 17:51

Wonder what Mitch thought of Keith's '77 Toronto Tapes...possibly that he SHOULD have got a long prison sentence for sounding in pain?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:10

"It is true that especially Mick and Keith always struggle for being in tune."

I would have to disagree . . Mick Jagger sings pitch-perfect, at least in the studio. Sometimes he can't hit the high notes that he used to be able to , but I have NEVER heard him sing out of tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 18:47 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:14

.....if you are going to criticize Before They Make Me Run then you best be ready to criticize Happy...to me they are the same coin...each one side...impossible to seperate....each a signature.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:15

mitchflorida
"It is true that especially Mick and Keith always struggle for being in tune."

I would have to disagree . . Mick Jagger sings pitch-perfect. Sometimes he can't hit the high notes that he used to be able to , but I have NEVER heard him sing out of tune.

ummm...no. not that it really matters - we're talking rock'n'roll here - but keith has much more consistent pitch control that mick...just a fact.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:51

"keith has much more consistent pitch control that mick...just a fact"

If you really think Keith has 'consistent pitch control', you are absolutely going to love this vocal!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:58

is this messageboard being overrun by teenagers? seriously. enough with the american idol crap!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home