Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Studio Lyrics and Concert Lyrics
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 25, 2010 02:26

I have attended 5 Stones concerts and watched all of the videos of them in concert. The Stones, in the latter part of their career, have changed the lyrics to some of their songs. For instance, the line in Brown Sugar, just like a black girl should, was changed to, just like a young girl should, or, just like a young man should. The lyrics to Some Girls have been changed in concert too. I heard them once sing, white girls just want to get f'ed all night. In the movie, Shine a Light, the verse that referenced Chinese and black women was omitted. At one concert I attended, the teenager in Stray Cat Blues suddenly was suddenly of legal, sexual age.

Why have the Stones done this? Have the Stones become prudish? Are they more politically correct? Are they getting pressure from their wives?

What is your opinion?

P.S. I did talk to Jagger a few years ago and asked him to tone it down a notch. He said he would think about it. I am kidding.

Re: Studio Lyrics and Concert Lyrics
Date: March 25, 2010 02:42

Here's another poignant example...
Lyrics to Heartbreaker "doo doo doo doo doo"
but in concert, "doo doo doo doo"
It spoiled the show for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 02:42 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 25, 2010 03:46

Or even leave out all together likes of in Sympathy for the Devil..the bit about the Kennedys I epecially noticed that at there Austin concert.Was that in respect to the American people and been Texas.. or as has that been like that for a while.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 25, 2010 03:57

>>Are they getting pressure from their wives?<<

Stones' women have/had much influence on the boys, but I seriously doubt any pressure was put on Mick to change lyrics for this reason.

I'm thinking Mick might have decided to be more PC in some cases, but perhaps in most cases, he just wanted to try something different.

I remember at one show I attended, a "new" line in Shattered was "to live in this dump you must be...."

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:48

<<Or even leave out all together likes of in Sympathy for the Devil..the bit about the Kennedys>>

That's been done since '69. As far as I recall, the only time prior to the Detroit gig on that tour
the Kennedy line was included, was in fact at the Dallas show...hardly just a strange coincidence

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:09

flilflam
Why have the Stones done this?

Didn't know the Stones were doing such things. A can imagine a singer changing things after YEARS of singing the same tired songs but shit, who the fukc knows.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:13

I really enjoyed it when Love You Live had the 'uncensored' Starf*cker lyrics...after getting used to the sanitized version on Goats Head Soup.

What a song.. Jagger has had a lot of fun with that one, changing the names, etc..

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 25, 2010 15:29

yeah! and additional line on When the Whip Comes down is cool, too.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:48

At one concert I attended, the teenager in Stray Cat Blues suddenly was suddenly of legal, sexual age.

no need to ask for I.D then...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home