Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: New EMOS: Remove the N Word Now!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:23

Well Sponge-Bob may just unite the world.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:43

i can't belive this thread is still active. if you want the word removed , rip the cd to your computer download audacity (free music editing program) and do it yourself. i do it all the time for my 10 yr old nephew's ipod

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:52

Ali meet our Rugby team once and made them really welcome.Theyre called the ALL BLACKS.Micks has been given the captains jersey he loved it.The crowd get right into it when they do Paint It Black here.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: March 25, 2010 13:14

PC IS BS IMO

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2010 16:43

Doxa
[Well, as we know that actually did cause some trouble for The Stones by Jesse Jackson, etc. And when the song has been performed during the Cohl era Jagger was politically correct as far as that line goes...

- Doxa

Right - but remember we're talking about the albums now and since someone wants the Stones to remove something from an album from 1972 I figured why stop there, there are plenty of other opportunities to scrape some shit off the songs as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-26 00:05 by skipstone.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:27

skipstone
Right - but that was not the beginning of slavery.

Anyway, if this lyric about ten little niggers is bad what about the black girls that just want to get fukced all night line? What about that? WHORES! What about Waiting On A Friend? Closeted homosexual relations? Was Mick taking on the personna of a priest or pedophile, er, priest in that song? What about those alcoholic kunts like knives in I Go Wild? What has the world come to? UME must delete the entire Stones catalog! Someone might buy one of the albums!

With all the fuss about that 'Some Girls' lyric, I found it at least comforting that French, Italian and American women didnt boycott the band's music en masse for suggesting that were all materialistic gold-diggers or that English women didnt take exception to being stereotyped as sexually-repressed prudes.

I guess some groups of women are just more sensitive than others. Oops, I think I've just made another stereotyped remark.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:36

Hey flilflam or whatever your name is - if you're NOT a troll then why haven't you answered any of the posts yet? No backbone? No balls?

Date: March 25, 2010 18:50

DaveG
Hey flilflam or whatever your name is - if you're NOT a troll then why haven't you answered any of the posts yet? No backbone? No balls?

watch it - thats offensive to non-mammals and eunuchs, Dave.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 25, 2010 18:59

Gazza
DaveG

be careful, Gazza. your post is offensive to blind people.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 19:08

Gazza
DaveG

and as a fan of a band with no balls to play anything other than a warhorse-laden setlist, I take offense to this!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 25, 2010 19:51

Okay, we non-offended are getting offended now. We demand to be heard too. Sorry if that offends you.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 25, 2010 19:56

Thank you, Mr. Anderson for the best laugh in a really tough day.

Date: March 25, 2010 20:10

bernardanderson
Gazza
DaveG

I guess I should have 'saw' that coming...

Date: March 25, 2010 20:13

My deepest apologies to all eunuchs, non-mammals, trolls. Didn't mean to be a jerk . . . . . . . oops, sorry to all jerks, no offense intended, jerks are people too.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:11

Gazza

With all the fuss about that 'Some Girls' lyric, I found it at least comforting that French, Italian and American women didnt boycott the band's music en masse for suggesting that were all materialistic gold-diggers or that English women didnt take exception to being stereotyped as sexually-repressed prudes.

I guess some groups of women are just more sensitive than others. Oops, I think I've just made another stereotyped remark.

Gazza, IMO, there are words " allowed " & some that aren't "allowed" .
I think you missed the point .

Well, I don't mind that much about the following lyrics " French girls they want Cartier " because, you know, I've never needed any man to buy me what I wanted to get.

What puzzling me is that nobody refered to the following lyrics :
" White girls ,they are pretty funny " compared to " Black girls just wanna get ...." ?

If "the Black girls just wanna get you know what ,then some "white" girls just wanted too to get ....all night by Jagger or by any man tongue sticking out smiley

swiss
May you translate my thoughs in good English ,please ?smiling smiley

gazza
women didnt take exception to being stereotyped as sexually.Oops, I think I've just made another stereotyped remark.
Would you like being stereotyped as a good or a bad shag ???
Oops ,I know I am rude -hope I will be forgiven grinning smiley

IMO, the lyrics of this song just reflected /ing some of Mick's concern & though .
The" Zuma Beach "part is IMO ,the most real part of the song.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 25, 2010 21:14

SwayStones
Gazza

I think YOU missed my 'point' by a country mile.... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 25, 2010 21:45

Gazza
SwayStones
Gazza

Pardon ? "A country mile ???
I don't get it and BTW you didn't quote my whole post .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:00

[/quote]

I think YOU missed my 'point' by a country mile.... eye rolling smiley[/quote]

Please apologize to those who may have been born "in the country". Thank You.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 25, 2010 22:22

sweetcharmedlife
Got a sweet black angel,
Got a pin up girl,
Got a sweet black angel,
Up upon my wall.
Well, she ain't no singer
And she ain't no star,
But she sure talk good,
And she move so fast.
But the gal in danger,
Yeah, de gal in chains,
But she keep on pushin',
Would ya take her place?
She countin' up de minutes,
She countin' up de days,
She's a sweet black angel, woh,
Not a sweet black slave.
Ten little niggers
Sittin' on de wall,
Her brothers been a fallin',
Fallin' one by one.
For a judge they murdered
And a judge they stole,
Now de judge he gonna judge her
For all dat he's worth.
Well de gal in danger,
De gal in chains,
But she keep on pushin'
Would you do the same?
She countin' up de minutes,
She countin' up de days,
She's a sweet black angel,
Not a gun toting teacher,
Not a red lovin' school mom,
Ain't someone gonna free her,
Free de sweet black slave,
Free de sweet black slave

Reading these lyrics, this is the first thing I thought of with all the abbreviated slang:

Date: March 25, 2010 22:43

SwayStones
Gazza
SwayStones
Gazza

Pardon ? "A country mile ???
I don't get it and BTW you didn't quote my whole post .

I was being ironic to begin with, so I didnt need to quote your whole post. cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 22:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 25, 2010 23:52

DaveG,

Go to page three and look at the post under the photo of the emu.

flilflam

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 25, 2010 23:52

SwayStones
Gazza

Gazza, IMO, there are words " allowed " & some that aren't "allowed." I think you missed the point.

Well, I don't mind that much about the following lyrics " French girls they want Cartier " because, you know, I've never needed any man to buy me what I wanted to get.

What puzzling me is that nobody refered to the following lyrics :
" White girls ,they are pretty funny " compared to " Black girls just wanna get ...." ?

If "the Black girls just wanna get you know what ,then some "white" girls just wanted too to get ....all night by Jagger or by any man tongue sticking out smiley

swiss
May you translate my thoughs in good English ,please ?smiling smiley

gazza
women didnt take exception to being stereotyped as sexually.Oops, I think I've just made another stereotyped remark.
Would you like being stereotyped as a good or a bad shag???
Oops, I know I am rude -hope I will be forgiven grinning smiley

IMO, the lyrics of this song just reflected /ing some of Mick's concern & though. The" Zuma Beach "part is IMO ,the most real part of the song.

SwayStones, your English is superb.

I'm not 100% certain which words you meant are "allowed" vs "not allowed." I think you are simply stating that generally it is true that some words are basically kept off the table? And if so perhaps you were suggesting that the n-word is one of those words. I would tend to agree with that, and probably add the c-word for women, and a few other words that are --- nothing to do with political correctness, which is stupid and bogus and overreacting --- but maybe best kept to a minimum cuz they're serious fighting words, or just really hurtful or degrading. So not sure what you meant, but it's not an English issue....just this stuff is hard to talk about, I think, in any language.

Incidentaly, personally, I don't mind the use of "n-word" in Sweet Black Angel. To me, Mick chose to sing that song in an old-school stereotypical sing-songy "Negro" or faux-Carribean dialect, and then when he sings the "nword" part he's intentionally channeling/ridiculing some rube who would be crass and ignorant, saying things the way they would say it, reflecting how they'd ignorantly misconstrue Angela Davis and not "get" her at all. He's mocking and scorning those people.

You and Gazza are good, I think. Just tensions are weird in this thread, which is what the OP intended.

As far as Some Girls...it never bothered me for a couple of reasons. Not saying that it did you, Sway....I'm just riffing on this now:

1. If someone categorized women and how good they are in bed, in a seriously degrading fashion, or in a public forum, that would be one thing. As you/Sway say, it wouldn't feel too great for guys either to be classified by their race or nationality by how worthy they are to fock. BUT....with that said, I think we all (maybe??) in our private moments, with particular friends, may make sweeping statements like that about people? Not tremendously proud of it, but I know I have. It's partly jest, partly female bonding, and...partly true, or at least based on experience. I don't know what it is, really. I don't think it's entirely a cool thing to do, but most of us do, do that. To me, whatever peeps talk about amongst themselves is cool by me...or if not cool, I can't do anything other than try to be the most decent person I can be.

2. "Black girls just wanna get f^cked all night/I just don't have that much jam." I just never saw this as an insult to black women, or to any women! To me, anyone who Mick Jagger can't keep up with...well, she's must be pretty damn amazing. And I've also always respected Mick for being so honest in that lyric. He's self-deprecating. It says more negative about him than about black girls. Plus, he's FUNNY -- Some Girls is the Stones' laugh-out-loud funniest song. At least, that's how I always heard it.

3. The title of the song sets the stage: Some Girls. To me, Mick is letting himself off the hook by framing the whole thing up by saying ok I am about to run through all these completely audacious stereotypes of women...and yet acknowledging it's not all but some.

I'm not going to check this thread again. I said that once already, but I saw it growing and growing and curiosity got the better of me. i'm lad I did to see SwayStone's post.

But I hope we can collectively abandon this thread smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: March 26, 2010 00:05

DaveG

I think Stephen Colbert found out that balls have been banned in Korea.

Date: March 26, 2010 00:09

Gazza
bernardanderson
Gazza
DaveG

I guess I should have 'saw' that coming...

Gazza, that was awful bad.

Date: March 26, 2010 00:12

What about the F word? Or Z word? How about the O word? Ahhhh, what about - WHAT ABOUT THE Q WORD!? Or better yet - the G word!!!???

Date: March 26, 2010 03:05

skipstone
What about the F word? Or Z word? How about the O word? Ahhhh, what about - WHAT ABOUT THE Q WORD!? Or better yet - the G word!!!???

Just you leave the 'G' word out of this! sad smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 26, 2010 03:35

For the record, I hate seeing Exile On Main St. called "EMOS"

Everyone I know always shortened it to "Exile." All you have to do is type one more letter.

EMOS looks lame when you read it. Hardly the spirit of the album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 26, 2010 03:40

>EMOS looks lame when you read it. Hardly the spirit of the album.

Well it should be EOMS in the first place lol.

Date: March 26, 2010 05:47

flilflam, in the spirit of fairness, I stand corrected.

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 11:00

I know some black people complained about 'Brown Sugar' and 'Some Girls' but they appear to habe missed this one. Perhaps we should tell them so they can be offended after 38 years but then again maybe not because they might be er offended. This album was made in less enlightened times and we must be thankful the 'N' word is no longer used in films and music and certainly not by black people. It must be good that someones life is so without worry they can be offended by this...... please tell me it's not a white guy being offended on behalf of black people.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home