Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Some Girls Special Edition (wishful thinking)
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 20, 2010 02:36

So Gaz. You want Dallas 72 on Some Girls? Why not on something a bit earlier?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2010 06:10

JumpingKentFlash

I meant Fort Worth (which is close to Dallas!). The 1978 Ft Worth show was filmed for official release.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 20, 2010 11:10

KRiffhard
mtaylor
Disc No.1
1. Mick - punk rock
2. Respectable (early version)
3. Claudine (version 1)
4. Broken Toe
5. Golden Caddy
6. Munich Hilton
7. Do You Get Enough? (Lucky in Love)
8. Everlasting Is My Love
9. Black Limousine (early version)
10. Mick - "Miss You"
11. Miss You (early version)
12. A Different Kind
13. Some People Tell Me
14. You Win Again
15. Brown Leaves
16. Never Let Her Go
17. Start Me Up (early version)
18. Shame Shame Shame

Disc No.2
1. I Need You
2. Fiji Jim
3. Petrol Gang
4. Disco Muzik
5. Lies (early version)
6. I Can't Help It (Love You Too Much)
7. Never Make You Cry
8. Claudine (version 2)
9. Hang Fire (early version)
10. The Way She Held Me Tight (Misty
Roads)
11. So Young (early version)
12. You Don't Have to Go
13. Do You Think I Really Care? (Yellow Cab)
14. It's a Lie
15. Not the Way to Go
16. Start Me Up (2nd early version)
17. No Spare Parts
18. Redeyes (When You're Gone)

5. Lies (early version)
..is that starting whit "1..2..3..4..@#$%&..' ??

Just saw this live version of Lies from 1978. Why can't they play these songs live anymore??? It is a great powerful rocking song to be played live instead of fx. Respectable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-20 11:11 by mtaylor.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 20, 2010 15:43

What about a disc full of different versions of winning ugly and back to zero

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 20, 2010 16:06

the 78 tour was a real highlight...they took no prisoners that summer.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: March 20, 2010 17:17

77-82 my all favourite Stones period !

Get that 78 tour DVD out!!!!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 22, 2010 09:50

More Hot Rocks
Please don't! The whole 78' 81' was a joke

The best joke ever; the last RS era of interest. I love this part of the RS story

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 22, 2010 09:52

kees
77-82 my all favourite Stones period !

Get that 78 tour DVD out!!!!

The most interesting period, a completly change in their musical direction.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 22, 2010 11:55

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

I meant Fort Worth (which is close to Dallas!). The 1978 Ft Worth show was filmed for official release.

The band had quite a lot of experience in filming shows for official release and then canning them for decades!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 22, 2010 12:13

71Tele
Ding dong bell, pussy in the well.

When is the deluxe reissue of Monkey Grip coming out?

there are some japanese editions they are quite deluxe, but not many outtakes...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2010 14:30

Gazza
Disc 1 - Original album
Disc 2 - Full-length versions of the songs which were edited down for release (the first 4 songs would clock in at about 35 minutes alone), alternate versions of the rest, the 8-track versions and 'Everything is turning to Gold'.
Disc 3 - Outtakes (I know there are about 30-40 songs left off the album but many of them probably werent finished - a single CD of the best cuts would do 'em justice. You could probably get 15-18 songs on this disc.
Disc 4 - DVD of the FULL Dallas show which was filmed for the unreleased tour movie 'Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' (only 28 minutes has circulated)

(Edit - for Dallas, I meant Fort Worth. Thanks, Kent)
i like your style !!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:16

I would settle for an official release of the 1981 Hampton show.

CD & DVD........

Or do we already have with boots, better versions than they could release commercially?

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:27

once owned the 8 track version of 'some girls'. does anyone have the different lyrics of 'beast of burden' the 8 track had? never understood how they could mistakenly release so many different mixes.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:41

sundevil
once owned the 8 track version of 'some girls'. does anyone have the different lyrics of 'beast of burden' the 8 track had? never understood how they could mistakenly release so many different mixes.

I am not so sure it was a mistake. 8-track tapes were pretty complicated. You had 4 channels that each had to be the same length. Using longer versions of some songe (Miss You) and shorter versions of other songs (Far Away Eyes) helped with the sequencing of 4 equal channels. I liked the 8-track version!

Some tapes were a disaster, with songs fading out in the middle to change channels and fade up again; or sequence changes that affected the flow of the original album. It was absolutely the worst format for music ever (other than the fact that they ran continously)! Remember having to dig tape out of your player after it devoured your favorite cartridge?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 22, 2010 21:21

Was it for Some Girls and the song Jah Is Not Dead that was 38 minutes long or whatever and they supposedly played it for a record exec and he was flabbergasted to find out that the new album was to be one song with Mick saying something along the lines of "Of course, it will be edited to fit both sides of the album"?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 22, 2010 22:21

On Nzentgraf it says Jah Wonderful some 50 minutes version from Some Girls session in October / November. But also autumn 78 and then a Jah not Dead version from January 1979.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 22, 2010 22:22

I wish I could remember where I read that. A couple of places probably.

Date: March 22, 2010 22:55

Its in Barbara Charone's 'Keith Richards'' biography, skip.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: March 22, 2010 23:03

Gazza
Disc 1 - Original album
Disc 2 - Full-length versions of the songs which were edited down for release (the first 4 songs would clock in at about 35 minutes alone), alternate versions of the rest, the 8-track versions and 'Everything is turning to Gold'.
Disc 3 - Outtakes (I know there are about 30-40 songs left off the album but many of them probably werent finished - a single CD of the best cuts would do 'em justice. You could probably get 15-18 songs on this disc.
Disc 4 - DVD of the FULL Dallas show which was filmed for the unreleased tour movie 'Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' (only 28 minutes has circulated)

(Edit - for Dallas, I meant Fort Worth. Thanks, Kent)

Great package. I have all the audio material included here already (and I have seen the video snippets of the hot Forth Worth show) but what a joy it would be to have it all in one professionally re-mastered and cleaned up package.

SOME GIRLS was an epochal album for the Stones and it deserves reverential treatment, but I feel Gazza's format is missing one crucial element: Discs 4 and 5 should be a bona-fide live album of that U.S. Tour titled Beautiful Shambles. I would choose the Capitol Theater show as the concert to be featured.

The DELUXE SOME GIRLS BOX should ultimately be a well-packaged 5 CD/1 DVD event for the senses: all of the material mentioned by Gazza AND a double-CD live show. Then one has a fully filmed live show from Texas for the big flat-screen television AND a killer show from N.Y./N.J. for the car (or...ugh...what the hell...the iPod). I would be in heaven! What a blockbuster THAT package would be...the full spectrum of the Stones' magical 1978. Get on it, boys!

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 23, 2010 00:44

Yeah those live '78 gigs are mean, especially when Jagger pulls the guitar on and the four gunslingers step out front.

Date: March 23, 2010 01:16

I dont actually think the Passaic (Capitol Theatre) show is that great a performance, to be honest.

Given the choice of a show for a CD release I'd probably go for one of the four shows taped for the King Biscuit Flower Hour Broadcasts (Lexington, Memphis, Houston and Detroit). Those performances are far superior (there were some fantastic shows on that tour, but a few ropey ones as well). None of those 4 shows have circulated in full in broadcast/soundboard quality, so even for collectors it'd be nice to get something new - I'd plump for the Detroit gig myself.

I stopped at 3 cds and a DVD because I thought anything beyond that would be pushing it, but hey, if we're going to fantasise about archive releases, we may as well do it rigt, eh?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2010 01:20

well, if we're going to fantasize - then i want the deluxe 4cd/3dvd package of the 1974 Venezualan tour, the last one Taylor played with them before moving onto bigger & better things....

Date: March 23, 2010 01:57

That second Caracas show was a stormer.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 23, 2010 02:32

Does anyone have a copy of Handsome Girl's they could burn me? I've ALWAYS looked for it with no luck!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 23, 2010 03:49

Marhsall, have you tried searching for it in the Hot Stuff section?
Can't imagine it's not there in some format

<<I would choose the Capitol Theater show as the concert to be featured>>

Wouldn't mind that wonderfully ragged show getting an official release, either
...and they should throw in the Palladium and Memphis gigs in as well

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 23, 2010 03:56

THANKYOU Soho

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: March 23, 2010 08:30

My favorite gig is Lexington followed by Detroit. I never understood the hype of New Jersey. Fort Worth I understand as it's nearly a complete concert, (minus part of Miss You which is fixed with the same section from Detroit) and in unbeatable sound.

Detroit would be the best to release and have 3 live bonus tracks as a bonus EP only from the Stones web - site (Walk And Don't Look Back, Hound Dog (Lexington), and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction). Additionally for pre - orders from the web - site you get the entire Lexington show on an additional 2 CD's or, more likely, highlights of it on 1 cd.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 23, 2010 14:40

Hound Dog was from Memphis (6-28-78)...A tribute to Elvis in his home town less than a year after his death. I was there!

Ross

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2010 14:53

capital theatre ,passiac new jersey .is a hell of a story about how the soundboard got out there .the cassette was grabed from the soundboard right after jumping jack flash without the final song which was street fighting man .pretty cool story .to me this show is a great example of the cocaine fueled 78 tour .a very wonderful show indeed as far as i am concerned.i would love video of this one .

Date: March 23, 2010 15:20

Ross
Hound Dog was from Memphis (6-28-78)...A tribute to Elvis in his home town less than a year after his death. I was there!

Ross

They played 'Hound Dog' in BOTH Memphis & Lexington, though. The version on the FM broadcast is, of course, from Memphis. That would have been wonderful to witness.

As you probably know, whilst the radio broadcast was announced as being from the Memphis show, only a couple of songs from that actual gig were broadcast - Hound Dog and (I think) Shattered (the one thats preceded by the "can y'all do a Rebel Yell real good?' line).

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2139
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home