Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Goat's Head Soup
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 16, 2010 18:45

dewlover
"I've never been able to put my finger on why Silver Train doesn't sound better"

That's because they stole it from Johnny Winter...

Because it's kind of a watered-down All Down The Line.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 16, 2010 19:47

dewlover

"I've never been able to put my finger on why Silver Train doesn't sound better"

Completly wrong. The basic track is from 1970, they had different versions over the next 2 years and in 1973 allowed J Winter to publish it first. The same happened with Wild Horses which was first published by the Flying Burrito Brothers in 1969 like everybody knows..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 16, 2010 20:05

electricmud
dewlover

Completly wrong. The basic track is from 1970, they had different versions over the next 2 years and in 1973 allowed J Winter to publish it first. The same happened with Wild Horses which was first published by the Flying Burrito Brothers in 1969 like everybody knows..

The basic track is from '69 actually.

Mathijs

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 16, 2010 20:15

Mathijs
The basic track is from '69 actually.

1969 ? Really? I thought it was Olympic Studios in october 1970 (well, according to D.Hoffmann and Martin Elliott). What`s Nico`s information?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 16, 2010 21:11

Nothing from 1969 for Silver Train at nzentgraf. But here is 1970.

Looks like all the extra tracks from 1969 -1972 could have gone on any album ha ha ha, because certainly Exile could have wound up different had they finished/released the tracks they recorded for Sticky Fingers and released them on Sticky Fingers:

701017A 17th October - 31st October: Newbury, Stargroves (MJ’s house) with Mobile
Record Unit and London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
- Aladdin Story II (MJ/KR) -Bobby Keys on sax, Nicky Hopkins on organ;
instrumental
- All Down The Line III (MJ/KR) -second, unverified acoustic version
- Bitch I (MJ/KR) -Bobby Keys on sax, Jim Price on trumpet, Jimmy
Miller on percussion; different mix of III, with audible ad-lib vocals of
Jagger during KR's solo
- Bitch II (MJ/KR) -Bobby Keys on sax, Jim Price on trumpet, Jimmy
Miller on percussion; Sticky Fingers-version
- Hide Your Love I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version
- Moonlight Mile (MJ/KR) -Jim Price on piano, strings arranged by Paul
Buckmaster; Sticky Fingers-version
- Potted Shrimps (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; instrumental
- Red House (Jimi Hendrix) -unverified
- Shake Your Hips II (James Moore) -STU on piano; early version
- Silver Train I (MJ/KR) -early version with slightly longer finish
- Stop Breaking Down II (Robert Johnson) -STU on piano; early (rough) take
- Sway I (MJ/KR) - Nicky Hopkins on piano, strings arranged by Paul
Buckmaster; flipside of US Wild Horses-single
- Sway II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, strings arranged by Paul
Buckmaster; Sticky Fingers-version
- Sweet Black Angel I (MJ/KR) -instrumental, under title Bent Green
Needles; unverified
- Sweet Virginia II (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Bobby Keys on sax; early
version without backing vocals
- Travelling Man (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Tumbling Dice II (MJ/KR) -STU on piano; with different lyrics, under
title Good Time Woman
Note: Nicky Hopkins did his piano overdub on Sway not before early (probably
February) 1971!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 17, 2010 18:09

I had a go at covering Coming Down Again today.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 18:38

His Majesty
I had a go at covering Coming Down Again today.

credible,good playing , but that's what i mean about having different guitarplayers / styles to record with, could be great , we should meet up sometime!

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: March 17, 2010 20:18

Some great live versions:

LA, July 10, 1975:

Hamburg, Oct. 2, 1973, Evening show:

Hamburg, Oct. 2, 1973, Evening show:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-17 20:20 by Ringo.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 17, 2010 21:01

Haha, i knew i'd get a response w/that one...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 14:41

This is the one album from the 70's that it really took me a LONG time to get into, namely because it had Angie on it, so I just never listened to it, but it really is a superb album, excepting Angie of course. But if I'm in the right mood, I'll even let Angie play thru....Coming Down is indeed one of Keith's best, and I've always loved Heartbreaker - so ecstatic to have gotten it live opening night at Fenway......Love Winter and Silver Train as well.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 18, 2010 15:25

I've always loved Angie. I didn't realise there was so much anti sentiment.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 18, 2010 15:33

i loved Angie when it 1st came out and still do...The video of Keith and Mick T. Sitting playing their guitars were so cool..
And only the Stones at the time could release Angie and then have Heartbreaker and Star Star on the same album...
Even through Angie is a ballad it had a tougher kind of edge to it...Not just a sweet sounding love song...It was very cool...
Anyway i has in high school when it was released and thats what was said about it at the time...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 18, 2010 15:42

The first disappointing Stones album in my lifetime! (I got hooked around the JJF/Beggars Banquet era). Now I really like it. Although the songwriting isn't up to standard (for the most part), it still has that Jimmy Miller Stones sound that got me hooked on the band in the first place. I guess that went away with Jimmy because IORR had such a different vibe.

I've always said that Exile was the best party ever, GHS is the hangover!

Ross

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 15:58

OOPS... I started a 'seperate' thread about half an hour ago on this (I will remove it asap); not realising this was already 'in discussion'. So here's my thoughts on this:

...yesterday evening, when I was listening to GHS a couple of times start-to-finish I thought to myself: wouldn't that album have had a greater (first) impact, made a bigger impression so to speak, if the 3d track "Coming down again" had been placed at the end of the album?!

I mean: listen to it... "Dancing with mr. D", "100 years ago", and thén slipping into "Heartbreaker"... That's a catharsis of grooves, isn't it?? I know this probably seems like 'splitting hairs', but I'm truely convinced about the importance of a natural order of things- and yesterday, I felt like "Coming down again" somehow broke that inherent order, and therefor shot the album in the foot.

I see that some of you prefer to ditch the track completely, but I wouldn't go that far; to me, "Coming down..." could very well be placed after or just before "Star Star". But: definitely at the end.

The original LP would then have been something like this:

SIDE A
Dancing with mr. D
100 years ago
Doo doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Hide your love

SIDE B
Winter
Can you hear the music
(Coming down again?)
Star star
(Coming down again?)

..What's your thoughts on this!?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 18, 2010 16:22

I wouldn't change it much.

Side one
"Dancing with Mr. D" – 4:53
"100 Years Ago" – 3:59
"Hide Your Love" – 4:12
"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" – 3:26
"Angie" – 4:33

Side two
"Silver Train" – 4:27
"Winter" – 5:30
"Coming Down Again" – 5:54
"Can You Hear the Music" – 5:31
"Star Star" – 4:25

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 18, 2010 18:00

Filip020169
OOPS... I started a 'seperate' thread about half an hour ago on this (I will remove it asap); not realising this was already 'in discussion'. So here's my thoughts on this:

...yesterday evening, when I was listening to GHS a couple of times start-to-finish I thought to myself: wouldn't that album have had a greater (first) impact, made a bigger impression so to speak, if the 3d track "Coming down again" had been placed at the end of the album?!

I mean: listen to it... "Dancing with mr. D", "100 years ago", and thén slipping into "Heartbreaker"... That's a catharsis of grooves, isn't it?? I know this probably seems like 'splitting hairs', but I'm truely convinced about the importance of a natural order of things- and yesterday, I felt like "Coming down again" somehow broke that inherent order, and therefor shot the album in the foot.

I see that some of you prefer to ditch the track completely, but I wouldn't go that far; to me, "Coming down..." could very well be placed after or just before "Star Star". But: definitely at the end.

SIDE A
Dancing with mr. D
100 years ago
Angie
Hide your love

SIDE B
Winter
Can you hear the music
(Coming down again?)
Star star
(Coming down again?)

I agree with Angie and Coming down again at the end of each side. But think of the fact that most people (like me) listen to the CD, with only one side!

So this would be my choice:

1. Mr D
2. 100 years
3. Heartbreaker
4. Silver train
5. Angie

6. Star
7. Hide your love
8. Winter
9. Can't you hear the music
10. Coming down again

Anyway, to me GHS belongs to the big six (Ya Ya's included).

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 18:25

kleermaker
Filip020169

SIDE A
Dancing with mr. D
100 years ago
Angie
Hide your love

SIDE B
Winter
Can you hear the music
(Coming down again?)
Star star
(Coming down again?)

I agree with Angie and Coming down again at the end of each side. But think of the fact that most people (like me) listen to the CD, with only one side!

So this would be my choice:

1. Mr D
2. 100 years
3. Heartbreaker
4. Silver train
5. Angie

6. Star
7. Hide your love
8. Winter
9. Can't you hear the music
10. Coming down again

Anyway, to me GHS belongs to the big six (Ya Ya's included).

...Interesting!! And so too, the fact that you're going from "Angie" to "Star Star" (wether it be after flipping a side or not... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ) Your 'B-side' has a "Tattoo You"-feel, now, imo.

I must say: I'd prefer THIS (your) order above the current one. But this having been said: I've always loved GHS, no matter what.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 18, 2010 19:27

HA HA

1. Dancing With Mr D
2. 100 Years Ago
3. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
4. Save Me
5. Through The Lonely Nights

6. Star Star
7. Tops (granted, if it had been finished - still sounds good on it anyway)
8. Winter
9. Can You Hear The Music
10. Coming Down Again

Coming Down Again last does make a lot more sense. It would have been the perfect album closer.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 19, 2010 10:39

Filip020169

SIDE A
Dancing with mr. D
100 years ago
Angie
Hide your love

SIDE B
Winter
Can you hear the music
(Coming down again?)
Star star
(Coming down again?)

The melancolic feeling of this album is broken at the end with te renaissance of a happier R&R like starstar. That is the corect ending

Date: March 19, 2010 14:52

IMO, disappointing sound and production on GHS. A huge letdown after Exile. The mood of the album is a little lazy, and I agree with liddas that it's a weird collection of songs to form a unity.

Still, there are some gems in there: 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Angie and Can You Hear The Music being the strongest, imo.

The studio version of Star Star is a bit lifeless, compared to the splendid live versions out there. But then again, I heard the LYL-version first, and therefore thought the album version was a little lame.

What is Keith doing on Star Star? Did he use Mick Taylor's setup? He has the same sound as Taylor on that track, and he is doing some well-known Taylor moves in his solo as well smiling smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 19, 2010 15:23

DandelionPowderman
IMO, disappointing sound and production on GHS. The mood of the album is a little lazy.

Yeah, that's right. But the live versions are really great: Heartbreaker 73, Dancing with Mr D '73, Angie 73, Silver train '73, 100 years ago '73 and Star star '76(!). Gives us an impression of how an excellent sound & production would have sounded!

Date: March 19, 2010 16:29

Also gives an impression of the band being at its best when everybody are playing on each song, imo.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2010 22:48

DandelionPowderman
Also gives an impression of the band being at its best when everybody are playing on each song, imo.

Especially during the Taylor era. But that was often not the case, as I just wrote somewhere else, as for studio albums.

"The melancolic feeling of this album is broken at the end with te renaissance of a happier R&R like starstar. That is the corect ending"

Absolutely not. The melancholic feeling is the main reason why GHS isn't of any lesser quality than the so called big four. So it's the big five. IORR on the contrary was a disappointment to me. Only a couple of good songs on it. After IORR, well, I shut up.

Gay music isn't good music, and certainly not interesting music. It has to be dark. No fun. Get your fun out of sex or gambling or drugs or whatever. I don't care. Music and fun are a lethal combination.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2010 23:00

I still play a GHS cassette tape in the player in my work truck from time to time.

When I do play it, I play the sh*it out of it. I has lost so much sound it now compares to an lossy MP3.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home