Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Should Clapton or Taylor have joined the Stones?
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 17, 2010 13:18

His Majesty
Wonder what he would have played on songs like this!?

eye popping smiley

Hard to know. Lead guitar on Undercover is really Ronnie copying Jagger's scat (or maybe the other way round). Ronnie does a good job.

Too Much Blood - Don't know if Keith or Ronnie play on this. Didn't they bring another guitarist in for this track?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 20:52

Mathijs
His Majesty

You'll no doubt disagree, but Claptons solos on I feel Free, Sunshine of your Love(including the nice Blue Moon quote), solo and lead lines on SWALBR etc are small pieces of perfection. Melodic, tasteful, great tone and very effective in context.

I would like to add the 70 and 71 shows he did with the Dominoes. There where some lesser shows, but when they where on fire they where the greatest jam band in the world, with Clapton playing with the same improvisational skills as with Cream, but much better controlled.

Mathijs

Exactly. Some of those Dominos shows were unreal. The Fillmore East shows from 10/23 and 10/24/70 have great sound, and they're quite good, don't get me wrong. But some of their shows later on in the tour were absolutely amazing. Clapton at his peak. Too bad there aren't many good recordings.

Philadelphia on 10/16/70 is a great one that features some rarely played songs, including a very different version of "Rambling On My Mind" done in an Elmore James-"Dust My Broom" style. Also a great "Mean Old World" and an early version of "Motherless Children", not to mention the mother of all versions of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad.".

The Santa Monica shows on 11/20/70 have pretty good sound but they're marred by Delaney Bramlett "sitting in" and playing horribly out of tune all over everything. The 11/26/70 Cincinnati show is probably the best audience recording of the Dominos and it's a good performance too.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 21:04

Amsterdamned
So in the end we all can conclude that everybody has his own opinion,and everybody defends or judges (not me in the least) other musicians.
That's fine ,always a bit of a battle..

What I miss in this topic are strictly musical arguments,not influenced by nostagia. Just forget how famous someone is or was,are MJ or KR responsable for the Stones sound(Mathijs) ,Clapton is great (T Dice) Clapton is crap(me cool smiley.. but talk about feeling sond ,tone,timing ,functional noodling or not and why ,etc.

That's a pity to me.

I doubt you'll get much of a musical discussion about the things you mentioned either. Too many idiots that know nothing about it chiming in with their uninformed opinions.

But in the end it's all opinion anyhow. Even about musical points (tone, feel, timing, etc...)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 19, 2010 21:16

happened to run across the last waltz on the tube last night - riveting perfs by all, of course (joni mitchell - wow!) - but the bobby blue bland cover by EC and the Band might have been the singular highlight. yeah, EC is boring.....whatever!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2010 22:49

His Majesty
Wonder what he would have played on songs like this!?

eye popping smiley

I think Taylor knew how to handle her,considering his latest taste..cool smiley

Date: March 20, 2010 03:38

I don't disagree that Clapton was playing inspired with the Dominoes..but its been oh 40 years!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home