Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Clapton Review Of New Orleans Show
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 11, 2010 20:30

are you saying keith and hendrix are in the same universe?!?!? hmmm.... interesting...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2010 20:36

stoneswashed77
The Greek
stoneswashed77
eric clapton always was and is boring.

like all those british blues guitar sportathletes, like mick taylor.

where is the news in that?
who is the exact opposite of clapton that you like on guitar ?

keith and jimmy hendrix. clapton is nowhere near in their universe.

clapton is good at copying blues players. especially buddy guy.
he is no original. never played a new lick. he is not a rhythm player. not a good writer.
thanks for giving me a great laugh for the day . i guess you must have missed clapton's bio(yardbirds, john mayall and the bluesbreakers,CREAM, blind faith, derek and the dominoes,and lest we forget clapton's solo career.may i suggest you GOOGLE eric clapton and learn about him a little bit heck while were at it why dont you go on you tube and check out some clapton videos .

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 21:58

i play guitar for 30 years i know my shit. thank you. you go and believe the hype of that soulless white man. i didn´t miss the bands you mention but it´s all shit.

this is the mcdonalds of guitar players. >grinning smiley<

Date: March 11, 2010 22:12

stoneswashed77
i play guitar for 30 years i know my shit. thank you. you go and believe the hype of that soulless white man. i didn´t miss the bands you mention but it´s all shit.

oh by the way i have played guitar since 1977 (that to me does not mean much) one word comes to mind NAIVE

Date: March 11, 2010 22:14

naive? yes, you seem to be. clapton is GOD and stuff right?

this world could have done without that guy. that´s not true for jimmy or keith.

Date: March 11, 2010 22:21

stoneswashed77

this world could have done without that guy. that´s not true for jimmy or keith.
about the clapton remark above ,i will quote you from webster's " blaspheme-to speak of god in an irreverant or imperious manner" never did i buy into that tag from the sixities .anyway i agree to disagree with you .have a great day .

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:32

Stoneswashed, you don't know what you're talking about.
Eric Clapton, a man and player Hendrix knew and admired, is a better guitar player than you will ever know. Clapton is not feeling well at the moment and he's had his ups and downs but to not acknowledge his talent is ridiculous.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 11, 2010 22:55

stoneswashed77

he is no original. never played a new lick. he is not a rhythm player. not a good writer.

stoneswashed77

It's spelled Jimi, genius.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 11, 2010 23:28

The Greek
stoneswashed77

oh by the way i have played guitar since 1977 (that to me does not mean much) one word comes to mind NAIVE

Hey Greek; Ignore this guy. He has no idea.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 11, 2010 23:30

Now he mispells Jimi? His idol? Now that's funny!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 12, 2010 00:39

There's NO WAY he got paid $500,000 for a 90 minute gig! The STONES don't get paid that much! It was at an arena, right? Less than 80,000? Unless the tickets were $750 each, which I doubt...I wonder where the writer got that number?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 12, 2010 01:29

mickschix
It was at an arena, right? Less than 80,000?

Yeah, more like 15-20,000.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 12, 2010 01:32

The only player near Hendrix is Clapton on his game. Problem is he often does seem unispired and can be boring, Ive seen it. I also saw him follow Robert Cray and Stevie Ray Vaughn (2ncd to last show) and with that motivation, (throw in Jeff heally and Buddy guy having stage time at the show) and Clapton did not hold his own, he did much more, played hot inspired and brilliant, and left no doubt why he was the headliner among greats.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 12, 2010 01:44

Edith Grove

It would definitely be to this fellow's benefit to lose his razor.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 02:23

It's funny. When Clapton was "god" I said "Hold on there!" But now that people are taking shots at him I feel compelled to say "He is an incredibly clean guitar player. He knows exactly where he is going and I admire his playing now more than I have in quite a while." The days of blazing fingers and unconscious creation where there is almost a complete bypass of thought from brain to fingers are long gone. But that's life. He's written good songs, has a pleasant voice and seems a generous individual and musican. If he does not knock me out of my chair I can at least sit back and enjoy overwhelming skill with complete and comfortable confidence. Good for you Eric.

I mentioned recently watching Jeff Beck and being unresponsive to his music, but when he played something more to my taste...Wow! I feel the same way about Clapton and the blues. I'd like to hear something else, but that is not a knock on his ability.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 02:58

I hate contradictory reviews like this. It is obvious the journalist has a bone to pick. On one hand he slags him, then he talks about individual songs and how good they were. Actually, when you filter out all the crappy writing, it sounds like a great show! And interesting to have Clapton pairing it down to a smaller band. I have seen him several times, and all his shows have been great. The best show I have seen of him though, was in Sngapore when he had Derrek Trucks on slide. That show was phenominal. He opened with Tell the Truth!! And played several songs off of Layla and only played one, ONE major hit, Wonderful Tonight. The rest was blues and rock, all deeper cuts. Great show, and a steller version of Motherless Children with a vicious dual slide opening. Sublime!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 12, 2010 03:03

tatters
Edith Grove

It would definitely be to this fellow's benefit to lose his razor.
I think I saw this guy on TV.....Yeah,he was on To Catch a Predator.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: March 12, 2010 18:08

I sent this to EC's website:

Well I did see/hear Eric last night in Sunrise last night. I am a huge fan of his work.I have read the reviews where he apperently just mails it in..but I did not find that to be exactly true. I think he could do better...but will go back & see him again-anytime!

I must say this...not just about EC, but the in general, it seems that artists of his caliber are certainly charging a lot more these days for tickets ...and seem to be playing less. The set lists are shorter & ticket costs have skyrocketed. EC is not the only one I noticed this happening to. The Stones set list from their 1981 tour had about 28 songs..their last few outings were about 18 ..again with ticket prices going for hundreds. Springsteen (not his biggest fan) seems to be one exception. Even the Dead in their various incarnations, seem to have shorter set lists.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 12, 2010 18:16

chrismusic
it seems that artists of his caliber are certainly charging a lot more these days for tickets ...

Come on! You think?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:09

stoneswashed77

you think Keith is better than Clapton? haha.......I love Keith, don't get me wrong, but he's no Eric Clapton.

Date: March 12, 2010 21:22

Tumblin_Dice_07
stoneswashed77

you think Keith is better than Clapton? haha.......I love Keith, don't get me wrong, but he's no Eric Clapton.

thank god he isn´t. i prefer keith any day. and i think he is the way more important, innovative and influential and therefor better guitarist.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:24

Apples and oranges . . . . .

Date: March 12, 2010 21:45

no!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:58

Well, they each have great talent but in much different roles. EC, first with Mayall, Yardbirds, and then Cream, at the same time the Stones were gaining momentum, had roles in those groups vastly different than Keith's role in the Stones. In Cream particularly, EC was a "power" or "progressive" guitarist. He and Jack Bruce spent a great deal of time in extended jams playing off each other. In fact, EC once said that he and JB played "against" each other. This is when he got the "god" reputation, as he was doing guitar work that was relatively new and bold. At the same time, KR was co-writing some of the best songs ever, and his role in the Stones was more complimentary within a group of 5 musicians. He was never the focal point, as EC has been for so many years.

I think people go to see EC because of his guitar virtuosity. His band is nearly immaterial. EC is the main focus.

People see the Stones to see . . . the Stones, the sum of many parts. IMHO, it means that one is not necessarily better than the other. They are each perfect for the roles they have chosen.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 12, 2010 22:00

stoneswashed77
Tumblin_Dice_07
stoneswashed77

thank god he isn´t. i prefer keith any day. and i think he is the way more important, innovative and influential and therefor better guitarist.

His riffs, the timing, the perfect placing, Richards has it way over Clapton.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 12, 2010 22:09

clapton and richards are totally different guitarists, so it's silly to say one is better than the other. what's next, django reinhardt vs. joey ramone?
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is a great album.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 13, 2010 02:34

tatters
He was great with Winwood last year. He needs someone like Winwood or Beck to motivate him. Left to his own devices, he puts on concerts that are, as the reviewer accurately described, "ultimately unsatisfying".

You nailed that one. He was unreal with Winwood in DC. They were even taking turns singing each other's parts. It was crazy how good that was.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 13, 2010 04:29

stoneswashed77

Does your Mommy know your on the computer?

Date: March 13, 2010 14:30

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-13 22:48 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: March 14, 2010 22:22

This discussion was really funny. If you're not sure about EC, just get the DVD "EC and Steve Winwood live at MSG" ...

I'm so glad we got our tickets to see them open air in Munich this summer ...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home