Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Clapton Review Of New Orleans Show
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:42

I almost spat my coffee out this morning reading this in the paper. It made me cringe:

[www.nola.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-11 01:42 by skipstone.

Re: OT Clapton Review Of New Orleans Show
Posted by: Slick ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:55

dude's old.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:58

Yeah, I saw that. Glad I didn't go.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 11, 2010 02:02

"he did not even take time to swap guitars. Instead, he plowed ahead with the same steel-gray Stratocaster for the entire show". oh my god!!! the horror! the horror. god i hate rock journalism.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 02:41

Well I don't think Clapton has ever been much of a show man. A friend told me he saw Clapton in concert once and he called it the worst concert he's ever seen. But then again, this guy wasn't a fan of Eric's and he cited Clapton's lack of interaction with the audience as a reason he didn't enjoy the concert.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it but I'm a big Clapton fan. To each their own.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:17

He was great with Winwood last year. He needs someone like Winwood or Beck to motivate him. Left to his own devices, he puts on concerts that are, as the reviewer accurately described, "ultimately unsatisfying".

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:36

I don't see what the big deal is. EVERYBODY (except maybe for Springsteen) has shows where they go through the motion. So he was dressed casually? I didn't know he was a reputed fashionista. So he only played one guitar? That's more than Keith does with the 20 or so guitars that hang around his neck at any given recent Stones show. So he did the hits? I guess that means people out there are clamoring for all of that precious archive material. 'Tears in Heaven' false-start take 7 is a big one on the black market I hear!

Date: March 11, 2010 05:14

It must be hard for many to get Clapton. His only crime is to grow old gracefully and enjoy the fruits of his labours as well as his family. Clearly a crime in the eyes of those that have achieved neither.

Too many rock critics and a huge % of rock fans are Wayne's World charicatures who feel they have to conform to a party line.

Sad

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 11, 2010 05:45

tatters
He was great with Winwood last year. He needs someone like Winwood or Beck to motivate him. Left to his own devices, he puts on concerts that are, as the reviewer accurately described, "ultimately unsatisfying".
Right. I've seen Clapton about 4 times. The last wit hWinwood. Eric has never been an emotional rah rah,work up the crowd kind of guy. Espicially in recent years it does take good muscians for him to play with to get real motivated. But without reading the review of the NOLA show. It's safe to say that he really isn't a critics darling.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: March 11, 2010 06:38

I read on TMZ.com that he was suffering from Montezuma's revenge.

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 11, 2010 07:09

I usually avoid Clapton in his normal live context, but will jump for something special, e.g., the blues tour in '94-95, the Cream reunion, the shows where Derek Trucks joined his band, the shows with Steve Winwood, etc. I missed the shows with Jeff Beck because I'll hold out for JB in a smaller venue.

Clapton in his normal live context is highly professional, but ultimately dull. Compared to Beck on the Ronnie Scott's DVD, he seems rather conventional.

Date: March 11, 2010 07:15

Didn't Clapton retire a few years back?

A friend of mine went to the show. He said Daltrey was - it was better than The Who and that Clapton was excellent (he was more stoked about the drummer but nevertheless).

I guess it just depends. I certainly wouldn't - do any of us expect the Stones to NOT do their hits? After millions of threads about it and a lot of griping, we still know what we're going to get. So there's no surprises in being disappointed because of the same ol' songs.

I dunno. It's a bit of a fresh subject in a way, someone else doing their warhorses, ha ha, thought I'd toss it in the ring.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 11, 2010 07:51

I saw him 5 or 6 years ago in Seattle and his show had the kind of feel expressed in the article: uninspired, going through the motions. (who cares about what he wears!) He had Billy Preston with him but he looked kind of frail.

Then, in 2006, I saw him at Royal Albert Hall, where he had Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall. It was totally different, and an outstanding show. Those guys seem to cause him to elevate his performance. They were joined by Robert Cray at the end (he opened the show). A really memorable night.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2010 10:33

Who is Keith Spera to bash Slowhand?
smoking smileycool smileydrinking smileycool smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 11, 2010 10:36

Just read the review and comments from those who were there. Sounds like a typical Clapton show - not bad, but not that great either (unless you're really into hearing his leads, which are still fantastic).

Nice to see Daltrey get alot of positive feedback.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 11, 2010 11:57

Sounds like the same show and setlist that I saw in Toronto{Badge the only change} and yes the critics were also whining about the lack of energy and enthusiasm.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 11, 2010 13:34

>> In keeping with the no-frills philosophy, all but the singers looked as if they walked on stage in what they wore on the tour bus. Clapton himself appeared in an untucked, charcoal button-down shirt and jeans.

oh @#$%&! that's unbelievable. what a shame!

a real class act. the more I read reviews like that the more I love Clapton, though I'm not a life-time fan of him, I just like him. I easily imagine myself in his place saying "FVCK YOU" to all those cheap haters smiling smiley

Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith: top class acts. early solo career: nice ones there. solo career: shame, mostly. 00s: really good and worthy of seeing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 11, 2010 14:37

I read "technically flawless (...) performance" myself.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 14:38

I would go see him if I was deaf and blind. I am sure I could feel his presence and guitar playing. This rock writer must not be a fan.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 15:01

last time i saw him it was ok, but a bit boring. i wasn´t disappointed because i expected no different. i mean what does one expect when going to eric clapton instead of eric clapton. sloooooowwwhaaaaannnnnd. yawning smiley

what i found way more annoying was the way steve gadd played, very stiff and mechanical, and the sound of his snare. it was so high in the mix it really ruined it for me.

i will probably go and see him with winwood.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2010 15:23

Sir Craven of Cottage
It must be hard for many to get Clapton. His only crime is to grow old gracefully and enjoy the fruits of his labours as well as his family. Clearly a crime in the eyes of those that have achieved neither.

Too many rock critics and a huge % of rock fans are Wayne's World charicatures who feel they have to conform to a party line.

Sad
you could not have said it any better .my exact feelings . you are very smart .good post .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:36

The author of the article, Keith Spera:

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:39

Jesus christ..this guy should stick to Human League concerts...

smoking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 11, 2010 17:43

this is not a surprise to me, I attended three clapton concerts over the last fifteen years, two nights were good, but I remember a show in Frankfurt 2001 when he performed totally bored, he sounded like some poor musician in a hotel bar, I really was annoyed that night.

Date: March 11, 2010 17:55

Edith Grove
The author of the article, Keith Spera:

Yeah I'm going to listen to what that guy thinks about Eric Clapton. He should stick to reviewing Miley Cyrus.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 11, 2010 18:30

eric clapton always was and is boring.

like all those british blues guitar sportathletes, like mick taylor.

where is the news in that?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2010 18:48

stoneswashed77

who is the exact opposite of clapton that you like on guitar ?

Date: March 11, 2010 18:53

I must have missed something. What the hell is the Human League?

Date: March 11, 2010 19:07

Date: March 11, 2010 20:22

The Greek
stoneswashed77

who is the exact opposite of clapton that you like on guitar ?

keith and jimmy hendrix. clapton is nowhere near in their universe.

clapton is good at copying blues players. especially buddy guy.
he is no original. never played a new lick. he is not a rhythm player. not a good writer.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home