Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Was - Not confirming or denying M.T. on Exile reissue
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 30, 2010 16:00

Its really not up to don was to say anything about who's on a record or not its up to Jagger and company...
Who knows how Woodie would feel if WAS was talking how great taylor was on the record.. Woodie is a member of the STones,
not Don or Taylor...I think Jagger should say something.....LIKE TAYLOR's Back!!!!! along with Ronnie..

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 30, 2010 16:51

Very strange that neither Mick nor Keith said anything about Taylor in their interviews. It's also strange that the interviewer asked Was about it and not Mick or Keith.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:16

The reporter from Rolling Stone did a separate interview with all three of them. It is possible they first talked to MJ and KR and only became aware of the rumour, before they were to speak to Don Was.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:27

Lightnin'
The reporter from Rolling Stone did a separate interview with all three of them. It is possible they first talked to MJ and KR and only became aware of the rumour, before they were to speak to Don Was.

Yeah, but you'd think Mick and Keith would have been excited about it enough to have spilt the beans even without having been asked, especially since it would appear to be a strong selling point for the album.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:37

If there are no new tracks I doubt Taylor did some new licks.
He is too much an "in the moment player" to see the purpose of that..

Mick and Keith always were reluctant about Taylor.In the 8-tees Keith asked Taylor:
"Why the f**k did you do that?"(leaving).. Taylor answered: "If I could answer that one Keith"

What to say about such a person..eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:39

I can see quite a few reasons why they would keep their feelings about re-hiring MT to themselves while doing press. How is it going to affect Ronnie's already bruised ego if they start raving to a reporter about MT's overdubs ?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:41

i'll be seeing Don Was (not Was) at a blooze fest next month; i'll get to the bottom of this - i'll simply as him the Taylor (not Taylor) question....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:43

Lightnin'
I can see quite a few reasons why they would keep their feelings about re-hiring MT to themselves while doing press. How is it going to affect Ronnie's already bruised ego if they start raving to a reporter about MT's overdubs ?

Why on earth should Ron Wood be hurt for MT playing some overdubs on these old takes? I mean, they are not overdubbing on Some Girls outtakes ...

C

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:58

Why on earth should Ron Wood be hurt for MT playing some overdubs on these old takes? I mean, they are not overdubbing on Some Girls outtakes ...

VERY good point! AGREE 100%

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 30, 2010 19:06

Rockman
Ron Jeremy......
Yeah, bring on Ron "the hedgehog" Jeremy! The HARDEST man in showbiz!! winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:11

"Why the f**k did you do that?"(leaving).. Taylor answered: "If I could answer that one Keith"

Yes, I have seen this quote and have always thought both are being a bit disingenuous and perhaps ironic. Taylor leaving may have very well had something to do with Keith: His drug addiction; the tediousness of having to wait for him to show up; his conflicts with Jagger; his berating of Taylor in the studio; contrasting playing styles. Over the years Keith has taken shots at Taylor and his playing. If I were Taylor I would take the "innocence" of this question (and any purported "friendship") with a grain of salt.

I believe Taylor was involved in this Exile project. That leads to the obvious possibilities. But if I were Taylor I would not get involved further with the band unless I had a sit down with Keith and cleared the air about things, personally and musically. Otherwise it could be a disaster. And Keith would have no qualms about kicking Taylor in the teeth about it.

Date: March 30, 2010 20:42

Good post pmk251,I agree.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:50

If MT had come back and done some parts there would be pictures.

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:53

Maybe he was involved, maybe not. WHo really knows. Makes sense if he was. But I would highly doubt there would be a reunion or Mick Taylor rejoining the band. I would doubt they would want him and I would doubt he would want to tour on the scale that they do. It's all history, great history, but history.

Wayne

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:02

We don't know how much or how little new guitar work these bonus tracks actually have. We don't know for certain that Taylor's contributions will even be used. Even if they are, we may not be able to tell if his work is old or new unless Taylor decides to speak up about it. As for why Mick and Keith or Universal are not trumpeting the Return of Mick Taylor - think about it, outside of hardcore Stones fans, who would care? Its not like he became a superstar after leaving the band. I'm not knocking his playing - I love his work, but he's been off the radar for decades as far as mainstream rock fans are concerned. Finally, despite the excitement on fan boards, I don't think Taylor is rejoining the band apart from doing overdubs on outtakes he played on to begin with. I don't expect him to tour with the band or play on future sessions. Its a nice idea, but there's no reason to think its reality at this stage. Its more likely that the Stones won't tour at all or record another album and I'm not predicting their imminent break-up either.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:17

Rocky Dijon
I'm not predicting their imminent break-up either.

break-up from what?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:18

pmk251

Yes, I have seen this quote and have always thought both are being a bit disingenuous and perhaps ironic. Taylor leaving may have very well had something to do with Keith: His drug addiction; the tediousness of having to wait for him to show up; his conflicts with Jagger; his berating of Taylor in the studio; contrasting playing styles. Over the years Keith has taken shots at Taylor and his playing. If I were Taylor I would take the "innocence" of this question (and any purported "friendship") with a grain of salt.

I believe Taylor was involved in this Exile project. That leads to the obvious possibilities. But if I were Taylor I would not get involved further with the band unless I had a sit down with Keith and cleared the air about things, personally and musically. Otherwise it could be a disaster. And Keith would have no qualms about kicking Taylor in the teeth about it.

Don't think there were any major problems between Keith and Mick T. On the contrary Keith acknowledged and respected Mick T playing very much. So I don't think they would have to sit down and clear things out.

Here is a quotation from Keith:
"My playing relationship with Mick Taylor was always very good. There is no way I can compare it to playing with Brian, because it had been so long since Brian had been interested in the guitar at all, I had almost gotten used to doing it all myself - which I never really liked. I couldn't bear being the only guitarist in a band, because the real kick for me is getting those rhythms going, and playing off of another guitar. But I learned a lot from Mick Taylor, because he is such a beautiful musician. I mean, when he was with us, it was a time when there was probably more distinction, let's say, between rhythm guitar and lead guitar than at any other time in the Stones. More than now and more than when Brian was with us, because Mick Taylor is that kind of a player; you know he can do that..."
- Keith Richards, c. 1979

Other reasons why Mick left are here and there is nothing about Keith. (if we exclude Keiths drug using)

[www.micktaylor.net]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:25

Indeed a good post, pmk. I've always thought what you're saying about Taylor's departure. But I also think that those shots of Keith at Taylor were caused by his own 'trauma' about Taylor's leaving. He surely hadn't expect that. At that time he thought he was allowed to do anything and that everybody would accept everything from him. On the other hand I've read that it was Keith who wanted Taylor to play with the band in Kansas 1981 and that Jagger wasn't happy with that (not to speak about Wood, but he had nothing to say in the band). Anyway, I guess both Glimmers never have felt 'at ease' about the Taylor affair. I even suppose that there could be some kind of a connection between Wood's personal problems and the Taylor case during the years. He must always have felt Taylor's breath in his neck. Not to speak of his position in the band and the opinions of the 'old' fans.

Date: March 30, 2010 22:11

"Other reasons why Mick left are here and there is nothing about Keith."

Jagger stated that "Taylor found it difficult to get along with Keith."

And maybe Keith was joking when he came into the studio when Taylor was doing
a hundred years ago: "Now I know why I hate you"...

Date: March 30, 2010 22:56

It wasn't "100 Years Ago," it was "Oh, Virginia" for John Phillips' PAY PACK AND FOLLOW/PUSSYCATS LP sessions in the mid-seventies after Taylor left the band. And yes, Keith hated him so much he invited Taylor and not Woody to play on his first solo album and produced and financed a demo session for Taylor to try and get him signed to Virgin Records. We should all be hated so badly by those more fortunate than us.

Date: March 30, 2010 23:40

Rocky Dijon
It wasn't "100 Years Ago," it was "Oh, Virginia" for John Phillips' PAY PACK AND FOLLOW/PUSSYCATS LP sessions in the mid-seventies after Taylor left the band. And yes, Keith hated him so much he invited Taylor and not Woody to play on his first solo album and produced and financed a demo session for Taylor to try and get him signed to Virgin Records. We should all be hated so badly by those more fortunate than us.

No one has said that Keith hated Taylor. See my post up here as for the Kansas concert in 1981. But he absolutely had problems with Taylor, musically and personally because of shifting relations, power and (musical) influence in the band from 1972/1973 (The European Taylor Tour) on. I think he highly respected him as a musician (that explains the shots at Taylor and the playing down of Taylor as a Stone). I guess Keith felt guilty plus he liked Taylor deep down in his little Keith-heart. Anyway, how relations between Jagger, Richards and Taylor were and are today is a very interesting topic and an actual one as well.

Date: March 30, 2010 23:48

I was referring to how serious (or not) the "now I know why I hate you" quote was meant. I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone here for claiming Keith hated Taylor, they were his words. Jealousy is another matter. Jagger and Richards are highly competitive. One of my favorite examples is when Jagger namechecks British Invasion bands in 25x5 and completely ignores The Animals, The Kinks, The Who, etc. to focus on Mersey Beat groups that wouldn't be considered R&B-based.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2010 23:52

pmk251

From accounts I have read, Keith was rather cruel toward Taylor, and Taylor's drug use was spiraling out of control. It takes a strong ego (or a very passive one like Bill's or Charlie's) to be in a group with those two personalities. Taylor was also urged to leave by his wife at the time. It looks like a terrible career move from this distance (which it was), but at the time he possibly thought there was no other way out.

Date: March 30, 2010 23:58

<It looks like a terrible career move from this distance (which it was)>

I don't think it was from Taylor's point of view, just for the reason you gave, without the "possibly". Musically, for the band and for us it certainly was.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 30, 2010 23:59

Kleer -I just go with what Taylor said: JAGGER still hasn't forgiven me for
leaving, he never mentioned Keith... (a few years back in a quote)

It was Keith and only Keith that has showed up and played with Taylor on tour,
late 80's in New York..

MLC

Date: March 31, 2010 00:04

MCDDTLC
Kleer -I just go with what Taylor said: JAGGER still hasn't forgiven me for
leaving, he never mentioned Keith... (a few years back in a quote)

It was Keith and only Keith that has showed up and played with Taylor on tour,
late 80's in New York..

MLC

Exactly like I've said earlier here or in another thread. But now it seems Jagger has forgiven him. Let's hope for both of themsmiling smiley.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 31, 2010 01:52

kleermaker

I don't think it was from Taylor's point of view, just for the reason you gave, without the "possibly". Musically, for the band and for us it certainly was.

Well, financially it certainly was. Again, I don't want to put myself in Taylor's head, but I don't think he could think of a way to continue in the band given the dynamics in the group at the time.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: March 31, 2010 01:58

It seems that MT was looking for a Jagger/Richards/Taylor trifecta that just wasn't going to happen. There is an interview done in Holland in '73 where that seems very apparent to me. He should have known better given what had happened with Brian, but I'm sure youth and talent wouldn't hear it. Still a shame he left the way he did.

Date: March 31, 2010 02:03

71Tele
kleermaker

Well, financially it certainly was. Again, I don't want to put myself in Taylor's head, but I don't think he could think of a way to continue in the band given the dynamics in the group at the time.

As far as I know Taylor never was that much interested in money as the Glimmers. You know he wasn't happy with the tax exile move in 1971. And he was never poor, just wanted to play. Well, he has played a whole lot! But I have the same thoughts as you. He must have felt pushed in a corner when he handed that resignation note to Jagger. I don't know Taylor at all, but he seems a sensitive person to me, and a kind one too. But maybe my fantasy is getting the upper hand nowsmiling smiley.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: March 31, 2010 02:04

Taylor confided: ‘I was a bit impulsive back then....

'Mick suggested taking six months off, but I’ve never been good at taking advice. Maybe I should have listened.’

Gee, you think??

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home