Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT-Jason & The Scorchers
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: January 13, 2008 21:48

Anybody a fan?

Re: OT-Jason & The Scorchers
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 13, 2008 23:18

Of course! One of the greatest live bands ever. Their second album STILL STANDING included their cover of "19th Nervous Breakdown".

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 14, 2008 00:22

Wonderful, sadly forgotten band!
White Lies

Date: January 14, 2008 00:24

Lost Highway/Great Ball Of Fire

Date: January 14, 2008 00:36

Check out this great clip of them at Nudie's:

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 14, 2008 02:05

Baboon Bro
Wonderful, sadly forgotten band!
White Lies

Not forgotten at all!!! smiling bouncing smiley (But only by a few fanatics)

I still remember the concert they gave at Roskilde - I think it was 1985. One of the best - if not THE best - concerts I ever saw. I even had it on an old VHS tape with myself in the audience. Sadly, it was stolen during a break-in in my apartment some years ago angry smiley

And they are still working...I think?? I think we actually had a thread here a couple of months ago?

Date: January 14, 2008 02:26

I'd say more than a couple of months... Donnow if I saw them in 85.
Well, I was at the festival... Somehow eye rolling smiley

Date: January 14, 2008 12:17

Baboon Bro
I'd say more than a couple of months... Donnow if I saw them in 85.
Well, I was at the festival... Somehow eye rolling smiley

Hehe - I know exactly what you mean smileys with beer

I did see them but I missed so many other concerts at Roskilde over the years. Billy Bragg e.g. - I was heartbroken!! But then we found out about speed ;-) (And I did get to see Billy later - this time with the Blokes, including MacLagan")

Also, Jason came back the next year (or shortly thereafter???) but that concert was not as good. Have you ever seen them? Jason does the "Bono-trick" of going down in the pit between stage and fans.......this very old security guy must have lost his brains 'cause he tackled Jason to the ground!! Just plain went for him - must have thought he was a fan or something? eye rolling smiley

After that little incident the concert very quickly was brought to an end thumbs down

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: January 14, 2008 12:35

Absolutely love 'em. I got hooked on their version of Absolutely Sweet Marie back in 83/84. Followed them and their solo efforts ever since. Theu do a very good version of 19th Nervouse Breakdown on the Still Standing album from '86( I think)

Date: January 14, 2008 13:36

bobo
Absolutely love 'em. I got hooked on their version of Absolutely Sweet Marie back in 83/84. Followed them and their solo efforts ever since. Theu do a very good version of 19th Nervouse Breakdown on the Still Standing album from '86( I think)

Yup - great version. I also love the story about how Warner E. Hodges - the guitarist - for the longest period thought it was "just" another Ringenberg song. He did not know it was Bob Dylan!!

And they were all big Stones-fans. They should have warmed up for the Stones back in the day - and perhaps even now. F'ck, they were a great liveband! ;-)

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:02

yeah I saw them back in 1986 or so....maybe 1987

Date: January 14, 2008 22:38

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 15, 2008 00:03

I have Fervor on cassette... the album, about 20 minutes long, is repeated on both sides. So many times I would simply turn the tape over and listen to it again. It's a tremendous album, starts out with some fun, nonsense rockers, then gets dark & urgent (but still fun). Still Standing and Thunder & Fire [?] are not in the same league for me, but what I've heard of Lost & Found is terrific.

I finally saw them live around '97... Jason stood in darkness and had his hat pulled low over his eyes for the first several numbers. The atmosphere drained once he spoke to the crowd, but it was still a great show.

Date: January 15, 2008 00:11

I have four of their albums, but I buy downloads, does anyone know a website with all their albums for download pay or free?

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:31

I am a big fan. Have all their albums even a 45rpm which pre dates "Fervor"Have seen them live many times. Most recently in Nashville for a benefit for Perry Baggs their drummer. Jason tours solo now and also has an alto ego "Farmer Jason"which is a children's character.The scorchers are agreat live band second only to you know who!!!!!

Date: January 15, 2008 10:46

Wouldnt this bunch of scarred veteran rockers be the perfect warm-up act
for the Stones during NEXT tour? They could kick up the energy in Keef & co.

Date: January 15, 2008 10:59

cc
Still Standing and Thunder & Fire [?] are not in the same league for me, but what I've heard of Lost & Found is terrific.

"Still Standing" and "Thunder & Fire" both have their moments but are not bona fide Jason & The Schorchers, IMHO.

"Lost and Found" is their meisterwerk, their grand opus. I you haven't heard all of this album I'd suggest you go and buy it immediately. I'm almost willing to re-imburse you if you do not like this album. Especially if you like "Fervor" which to my mind - brilliant as it is - is more of a dry-run for "Lost and Found".

The two latterday albums - "A Blazing Grace" (playing as I write this) and "Clear Impetous Morning" - are great as well, both almost as good as "Lost and Found" but not quite. Maybe because I was older when they came out so they don't mean as much to me as "Lost..."

But - if you're a Jason fan, these last two are indespensable as well. I'm not too crazy about "Midnight Roads and Stages Seen" - it seems somewhat lacking in energy from what I remember back in 1985 and 1986. But it is a nice enough live document. I had just hoped for something more I guess.....plus it gets a little too much with "thank-yous" here and hither. Just MHO ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 11:02 by mofur.

Date: January 15, 2008 19:06

"Lost and Found" is their meisterwerk, their grand opus. I you haven't heard all of this album I'd suggest you go and buy it immediately. I'm almost willing to re-imburse you if you do not like this album. Especially if you like "Fervor" which to my mind - brilliant as it is - is more of a dry-run for "Lost and Found".

you're right, I should. I just haven't come across a good vinyl copy when I've been looking. But my appetite has been whetted by a few FM shows that have popped up on dime over the years. "Broken Whiskey Glass" is amazing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 19:06 by cc.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 15, 2008 19:09

One of the best bands to come out of America, or anywhere in fact, in the 80s. Love them particularly the 1st EP with Absolutely Sweet Marie on it. That Warner Hodges could sure play guitar - and I've yet to see anyone who can come close to pulling off that trick where he swirls the guitar round his neck.

Date: January 15, 2008 21:15

Your best bet is to look for a copy of a CD that includes both LOST & FOUND and FERVOR -- it's called ARE YOU READY FOR THE COUNTRY? It's probably out of print but scour the bins & ebay for it, it's worth it. It also includes some b-sides like the title track (cover of a Neil Young song).

>"Still Standing" and "Thunder & Fire" both have their moments but are not bona fide Jason & The Schorchers, IMHO

mofur, what do you mean by that statement? SS was made by the original lineup.

>Most recently in Nashville for a benefit for Perry Baggs their drummer

Very cool. I wanted to go but couldn't make it. I heard Ken Fox showed up to play for a bit. How is Perry doing?

Date: January 15, 2008 21:22

Glam Descendant
Your best bet is to look for a copy of a CD that includes both LOST & FOUND and FERVOR -- it's called ARE YOU READY FOR THE COUNTRY? It's probably out of print but scour the bins & ebay for it, it's worth it. It also includes some b-sides like the title track (cover of a Neil Young song).

thanks! I hadn't heard of that... though I wonder how good that CD might sound if it's 80s-vintage. I did replace my Fervor cassette with a vinyl copy a few years ago.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 15, 2008 21:25

Ever so often one of the Nashville rock stations will play something by'em; they're in the Country Music Hall of Fame too.

Date: January 15, 2008 21:30

>though I wonder how good that CD might sound if it's 80s-vintage

It was released in '92 and fetches a handsome price these days (though you might do better on ebay) -- the actual title is ESSENTIAL VOL. 1 (ARE YOU READY FOR THE COUNTRY?):

[www.amazon.com]

Capitol released a cd in '96 titled BOTH SIDES OF THE LINE which included FERVOR and LOST AND FOUND minus the b-sides found on ARE YOU READY FOR THE COUNTRY?:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: January 16, 2008 00:21

thanks for the details, GD.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:24

I saw them open for Dylan sometime in the late 80's. I liked them. Abs. Sweet Marie is my favorite Dylan song so I was excited to see that live.

Date: January 16, 2008 01:11

Glam Descendant
>"Still Standing" and "Thunder & Fire" both have their moments but are not bona fide Jason & The Schorchers, IMHO

mofur, what do you mean by that statement? SS was made by the original lineup. >

Sorry, if I was a bit unclear on that one. My point was that these albums do not live up to the standards of the albums preceding them and/or the ones that came after.

They seem pretty tired and half-hearted - and it is well known that Warner E. had problems with alcohol and heroin at this point and Jason was well into the sauce.

If you read their official website, it says almost the same. They were a bit run-down at this point. They do not mention the drug and alcohol problems but they were widely publicized at the time.

[jasonandthescorchers.com]

Date: January 16, 2008 01:12

CindyC
I saw them open for Dylan sometime in the late 80's. I liked them. Abs. Sweet Marie is my favorite Dylan song so I was excited to see that live.

It sure takes some guts to play that song when the master is in the house ;-)

But I think that Jason's version is better than Dylan's.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 16, 2008 06:05

According to Ringenberg, the original name of the band
was Jason and The Nashville Scorchers.
When first signed, the record company made them shorten it.
He thought the original name was cooler (it is, actually)
and regretted doing it.
A terrific band. For those who remeber the 80s, they were
a breath of fresh air.

Date: February 11, 2008 09:56

I just read this in the papers: Jason and the Scorchers to play Copenhagen on May the 8th (Pumpehuset)

They are probably not in Europe for that one concert only - so look out! smileys with beer

Date: February 11, 2008 10:24

Great news -- I hope that means Perry Baggs' health has improved; I can't imagine a Scorchers show without him.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home