Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FANTASTIC Live LOVE IS STRONG and SMU from '94 MTV-VMA
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 5, 2008 23:33

Been looking for this one for a long time. Had it on Super VHS Video but can't seem to find it. LOVE IS STRONG, a great, tight version here as Mick enters through the audience (and some BOZO starts putting his hands all over him while he's playing the harp intro, walking towards the stage). Mick's also wearing his LOVE IS STRONG all black top hat/long coat outfit (where is that from? I think it was an illustration in some book of fairy tales - anybody recognize his outfit from some outside inspiration?). The thing that's weird is The Band didn't play the song at the Miami 1994 Live Pay Per View Broadcast show or The Giants Stadium Show that was sold on videotape during most of the tour (so this is the only pro shot, non bootleg live version from 1994) START ME UP was the second song from that same show, included here.... leave some comments for Helter kids, how did you enjoy it AND where does Micks outfit come from? THANX !!!

LOVE IS STRONG Live 1994 - Pro Shot

START ME UP Live 1994 - Pro Shot

Re: FANTASTIC Live LOVE IS STRONG and SMU from '94 MTV-VMA
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 5, 2008 23:35

4Agreed, I remember this like it was yesterday. The Stones were smoking hot that night. I recall during the show Steven Tyler said, damn, weren't the Stones great?

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: June 5, 2008 23:58

Love is strong was great, but Mick's embarrassing mistake in SMU (watched by millions on TV that night) almost killed the song. It took the band a few beats till they were back into it. I'm still sweating when I watch the video today after so many years.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 6, 2008 00:08

After years of therapy thank god Mick got over the embarrassment of that one. (sarcasm in case that is not clear)

Great job by DJ and Charlie. The last time the Stones were really relevant to the MTV generation?? RJ in the Superbowl wasn't the same as LIS that had the cool video promoting it to the pop culture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 03:22 by livewithme.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 6, 2008 00:14

i have that on tape too. was it VMA or 10-Spot? Must VMA...I think the
10 Spot thing was during the b2b tour.

the outfit? maybe it was inspired by Alice in WOnderland...or Tom Petty's
video...or some sort of voodoo thing. ???? On tour he wore it during
MONKEY MAN (as I recall). LOVED IT!!!!!

it was also just one of many "looks" that Steven Tyler borrowed from Mick.
But I like STeven Tyler too...so...no biggie.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 00:29

Yes, very strong performance. I've posted these two clips here: [www.iorr.org]

If anybody is interested...

Date: June 6, 2008 00:38

Yeah SNC, I seem to remember seeing something like Mick's outfit in some book as a kid, maybe it was a bit different (or maybe it's totally original, could have been buzzed on Chocolate Milk or something and got it wrong) Trippy outfit, would be good for Halloween....
No, the 10-Spot SETLIST was TD/SEEN MY BABY/OUT OF CONTROL/SISTER MORPHINE/GIMME SHELTER (those were broadcast on MTV. Another 5 or 6 were played but not shown - Mostly Warhorses) The ENTIRE show is available on Boot DVD at Amazon (don't look at the price cause it's over $100.... yep, a bit STEEP for a very short show)......

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 03:11

sweet neo con
i have that on tape too. was it VMA or 10-Spot? Must VMA...I think the
10 Spot thing was during the b2b tour.

the outfit? maybe it was inspired by Alice in WOnderland...or Tom Petty's
video...or some sort of voodoo thing. ???? On tour he wore it during
MONKEY MAN (as I recall). LOVED IT!!!

now that outfit resides in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on the shores of Lake Erie in Cleveland

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 03:46

Yeah, this is a classic performance, I've always loved it.

VMA, september 1994 in NY, right?

And pretty easy to find on the net also.

I bet it must be posted somewhere on the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

If not, give a few days and I'll post it myself.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 6, 2008 04:59

Don't forget, Roseanne Barr introduced them at that MTV show

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 6, 2008 05:36

I think Mick decided Ronnie wasn't cutting it enough so why not shorten it and have a good laugh!

Very lumpy.

Date: June 6, 2008 05:43

"Love Is Strong" was played at all four 1994 Giants' Stadium shows,it just wasn't included on the tape.24 songs were played that night but,unfortunately,only around 17 of them were included in the video.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 6, 2008 11:02

rrronnie
Love is strong was great, but Mick's embarrassing mistake in SMU (watched by millions on TV that night) almost killed the song. It took the band a few beats till they were back into it. I'm still sweating when I watch the video today after so many years.

It's Keith whom makes the mistake. Jagger clearly shouts "come on" to take it up from the solo, and it's Keith that should have followed. Chuck and Darryl do follow.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 6, 2008 14:16

Keith has an untuned string for Love Is Strong, is it the D or the G...

Date: June 6, 2008 17:48

I remember watching that show thinking how bad they were playing Love Is Strong. Mick can't sing it worth a damn live and Keith was all over the place. How can he screw this song up so bad like that? He doesn't sound out of tune to me, he's just playing with his eyes closed or something.

The couple of boots I have from that tour Mick sounds - it's the worst vocal performance I've ever heard from him period. He literally sounds like he's dying on the Voodoo Kiss boot I have. And it's obvious why it wasn't included on either of the live videos - because it sucks.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 6, 2008 17:56

"LIS" might be the one Stones live clip with more shots of charlie than of keith. He looks like he's waiting for the song to end.

the guitars sound good--talk about weaving, they sound almost identical in this mix--but mick's vocal is so dry. He needs something on it to round out the sound. This is a typical problem of TV live sound.

I don't think the f!ck-up in "SMU" is too bad. keith actually catches himself almost immediately. Lisa & Bernard not following stands out more (not that it was their bad).

is that roseanne barr introducing them or rosie o'donnell?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 6, 2008 18:06

Roseanne, I think

Date: June 6, 2008 18:29

So was the 'screw-up' in SMU where it was supposed to go to the chorus or did Mick cut it short? I'll have to watch it again. It seemed a little short to me.

Date: June 6, 2008 18:31

Mick came in way early on that!

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 6, 2008 18:39

HelterSkelter
Mick's also wearing his LOVE IS STRONG all black top hat/long coat outfit (where is that from? I think it was an illustration in some book of fairy tales - anybody recognize his outfit from some outside inspiration?)... leave some comments for Helter kids, how did you enjoy it AND where does Micks outfit come from? THANX !!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 6, 2008 19:09

skipstone
So was the 'screw-up' in SMU where it was supposed to go to the chorus or did Mick cut it short? I'll have to watch it again. It seemed a little short to me.

Mick came in 2 bars early, but he clearly coaches the band, and the band should have followed, especially as you have four full bars to decide whether to go to either Bflat of F.

Mathijs

Date: June 6, 2008 19:31

they may have had a time limit, and a shorter solo may have been planned, so mick's cue would be a reminder. Then again, Lisa & Bernard would get that right, and they don't come in.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 6, 2008 21:10

Ludwig8745
Yes, very strong performance. I've posted these two clips here: [www.iorr.org]

If anybody is interested...

Thankyou again Ludwig8745!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 6, 2008 21:20

Thank you for that ! I remember being thrilled watching it live when it was on TV & I don't think that I've seen it ever since...

Circa VL of course... Radio City, No? The Stones coming back at us yet again...
First tour without Bill Wyman, I recall. I think I saw Daryll in like one semi close-up shot.

I still get the same vicarious thrill from the audience members as Mick strode down the aisle at the start.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: June 6, 2008 21:42

He also wore that during Sympathy in Atlanta [I think]

Posted by: rod ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:04

-screw-up or not,
this is the best sound-mix for their live performance from 82 to day,absolutely!!
no chuck like orchestral director,no click,real stones sound.
i'm thinking the stones are better with no the official guy-sound of the tour.

(sorry the bad english,hope you undestand)

bye

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:09

rod
...no chuck like orchestral director...

RIGHT!

rod
...real stones sound...

RIGHT !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 6, 2008 22:12

I also remember being thrilled at the time seeing this performance, but - honestly - I need to say that I would never call this 'strong performance'. Not at all. I haven't seen it since 1994 and seeing it now (thanks), it is as weak as I remember it was. "Love Is Strong" is one of their most awful performances ever. Out of tune, and not going anywhere. I haven't ever liked Mick's "Sympathy For The Devil" entrance and costume, he repeats here, either, so... If this was the last call of The Stones for MTV audiences, well.. a good evidence why those days were over!

Anyway, a Finnish band called Leningrad Cowboys were also on the bill, and played AFTER the Stones... They have joked ever since that The Stones were their warm-ups...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-06 22:13 by Doxa.

Date: June 7, 2008 00:43

rod
this is the best sound-mix for their live performance from 82 to day,absolutely!!
no chuck like orchestral director,no click,real stones sound.
i'm thinking the stones are better with no the official guy-sound of the tour

have to disagree-- as I said above, I think the vocal sound is terribly weak, albeit typical of live music on TV.

Date: June 7, 2008 03:23

Exactly Stargroves, it is CAT IN THE HAT I believe - THANX !!!

As far as the singing on LOVE IS STRONG goes, yeah, it never was one of Mick's strong ones live (I think he does it better here than the shows I saw) but ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY is the song I feel he can't seem to get a hold of vocally at all, I say that one's the worst live (as far as his singing goes) IMHO.......

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home