Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T. Craven Cottage - Anyone been there?
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 6, 2008 23:07

I live on the West Coast of the US and yesterday I was at home, ill with the flu. I watched a soccer (football) match between Fulham FC and I think Villa FC. I am relatively unfamiliar with English Premier Soccer. But, I enjoyed the match. It was played at Craven Cottage. It looks very old and seems to be on the banks of the Thames. I thought it would be a great experience to attend a match there sometime.

Have any of you ever been to a match there? What is the experience like?

Re: O.T. Craven Cottage - Anyone been there?
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 7, 2008 00:07

Craven Cottage is just down the road from me, I often see the crowds of fulham fans making their way over Putney Bridge having downed a few pints in the pub before kick-off.

And here is Fulham FC's famous export, none other than Jimmy Hill. Legend!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-07 00:07 by Mr Jimmy.

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: February 7, 2008 00:13

I went years ago to watch a match between Fulham and Mansfield Town (I'm a supporter of neither so don't ask me why but I believe alcohol influenced my decision!!).

I imagine it's improved a bit since then but you're right it is a very old fashioned sort of ground right next to Thames-it's not a ground known for a great atmosphere but would probably be a good experience for you as it would probably be very different to most sporting arenas in USA.

Date: February 7, 2008 00:26

I imagine that many soccer experiences are influenced by a few pints!!! So, this guy Jimmy Hill, when did he play? How did he become "legendary"? The photo looks to have been taken in the '60's or '70's . . .

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: February 7, 2008 00:42

Taken from Wikipedia:

James William Thomas Hill OBE (born July 22, 1928) is an English football personality. His career has taken in virtually every role in football, including player, union leader, coach, manager, director, chairman, television executive, presenter, analyst and even match official.

Craven Cottage is one of the last remaining old-fashioned stadiums in the Premier League. It is one of my favourite grounds to visit and has still kept a family type atmosphere.

Fulham are currently in danger of being relegated but I hope they survive because I enjoy a weekend in London to see my team Blackburn Rovers play at the Cottage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2008 01:29

We do have an IORR member here called Sir Craven of Cottage, I believe

Nice little ground, although the only time I was there was 11 years ago before it became all seated.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 7, 2008 10:27

been there afew times down the years.

i will again, be there, in the away end, on Feb 23rd

Date: February 7, 2008 10:47

That will be the Hammers game, Adrian-L.
From my place, I can hear the crowds from Craven Cottage.....although having said that, Fulham haven't had a lot to cheer about of late!
Back to your original question DaveG, the ground still has an old fashioned feel to it and being on the river, with open-ended grandstands, means you can often be sitting in a howling gale whilst watching the game. Well worth a visit on your next trip over to London though. Happy days.

Date: February 7, 2008 10:48

I was there in 2004. None of the locals knew where it was, the taxi drivers didn't know where it was either. I had a hard time finding it, but I was there 20 minutes into the game...

Date: February 7, 2008 10:51

Manofwealthandtaste
That will be the Hammers game, Adrian-L.

correct sir

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 7, 2008 11:21

Its nice going to craven cottage and this season i been told it is our last away match of the season, so i can see both fulham & birmingham going down.

Had many a good time with the pubs along the thames before & after the matches, but was a lot better when it was all standing. But i suppose that goes for most football grounds.

Date: February 7, 2008 17:56

Thanks all for the good comments. I go through London a couple of times a year. I think next time, if it happens to be during the Fulham season, I will try and take in a match at Craven Cottage. For years I have wanted to attend an English soccer match. It seems to be an experience unlike any here in the states.

Now, cricket, that's another story . . . . . .

Date: February 7, 2008 18:03

Chelsea's stadium is also just a short hop away. Pretty different type of club though, perhaps.

Date: February 7, 2008 18:23

Gazza
Chelsea's stadium is also just a short hop away. Pretty different type of club though, perhaps.

yeah- they're a bunch of see ya next tuesdays.

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: February 7, 2008 22:39

Crowds. Atmosphere. Obviously you are all lying and have never been there.

Up the O's

Date: February 7, 2008 22:59

Well so far you have had some helpful responses but as a season ticket holder for 30 years I am probably more qualified than most to comment.

Regarding the atmosphere it can be a bit limp when we don't have a full house but when it is full (which it is most of the time these days) it really rocksn - like on Sunday when we beat Aston Villa.

As an American it might be of interest that we currently have 5 US internationals. Fulham have a growing following in the US - there is a site called FulhamUSA whch might put you in touch with other US based Fulham fans.

Entry will cost you somewehere between £30 and £45 depending on who we are playing - the better the opposition the more it costs.You can find details of how you get tickets from the official club site.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: February 7, 2008 23:14

owned by a modest little shopkeeper I understand.

Date: February 7, 2008 23:51

Sir Craven, thank you. You obviously have been to a match or two there! And thanks for the tip on obtaining tickets.

At american sports events, football, baseball, and more, vendors walk through the stands selling food and drink. Does that occur at soccer matches? I've also noticed that there is often singing going on during the match. Is that in direct proportion to the number of pints consumed?smileys with beer

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: February 8, 2008 00:48

Possibly worth mentioning they have been playing the odd international game over there. Has a USA game been mentioned? With Fulham's US players you would think it'd be popular

Date: February 8, 2008 20:36

DaveG
Sir Craven, thank you. You obviously have been to a match or two there! And thanks for the tip on obtaining tickets.

At american sports events, football, baseball, and more, vendors walk through the stands selling food and drink. Does that occur at soccer matches? I've also noticed that there is often singing going on during the match. Is that in direct proportion to the number of pints consumed?smileys with beer

Food and drink is available in the ground although vendors tend to be static. Alcohol is served but there are restrictions as to when you can buy it - a hangover from the days of hooliganism at football. While the drink can elp raise the levels of song you will be thrown out if you are obviously inebriated.

Yes, I've been to one or two games - approx 1200.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 9, 2008 00:49

saw a match there in the seventies or eighties
fulham vs west ham, not sure at all about the year
if i remember correctly (not at all sure) bobbie moore former west ham player and world champion played with fulham at the time
pls feel free to correct me on all "facts"

Date: February 14, 2008 15:24

if i remember correctly (not at all sure) bobbie moore former west ham player and world champion played with fulham at the time

you are correct... Sir Bobby Of Moore, played for Fulham, between
1974-77, making 124 appearances and scoring one goal.

He actually captained Fulham, in the Cup Final of 75, against his old club.

Date: February 14, 2008 15:48

DaveG

Sometimes, but its also strangely inversely in proportion to the amount of prawn sandwiches that are available at some grounds...

Date: February 14, 2008 16:07

hot meat pie (thats cold in the middle), wagon wheel, cup of Bovril.

screw the Prawn sandwich brigade
i'm in the Roy Keane camp, on this one.

Date: February 14, 2008 19:59

Please, someone translate this into American English: "hot meat pie, wagon wheel, cup of Bovril" I don't believe I've ever seen these items offered at American sports events!

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: February 14, 2008 20:30

DaveG

Perhaps best you don't know, but be assured it's the finest cuisine you'll find in any UK football stadium (unless you've got the deep pockets that permit indulgence in a prawn sandwich).

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:48

FSC----Fox Soccer Channel does a great job showing Premiership games. I have that channel on cablevision, in NYC.

11am every Sunday morning they show live games.

FSC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-15 02:50 by Bingo.

Date: February 29, 2008 14:59

a heart-wrenching, emotional but brilliant article:-

[observer.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: February 29, 2008 15:43

Superb article about a truly great player - I will never forget his performances in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico

Date: February 29, 2008 15:56

met him on a couple of occasions, outside footie grounds.
Once, not too long before he passed away, on a bitterly cold tuesday night, at Tranmere's Prenton Park. (that's when i was younger and keener. I rarely do away games these days... especially tuesday nights opp Narth.)
He was hanging around outside the main entrance, in a big sheep-skin coat, collar up... there he was, one of my Hammers heroes... i asked him if he would sign my programme.. he smiled, took out a pen, signed it, and i went on my way, into the ground... dumb-struck and paralized, unable to speak to the great man.
He was clearly ill and drawn.... and when he died a couple of months later, i cried like a baby.... the first and only time, i have done so, for someone i'm not related to.
I was too young to ever see him play, but he was a hero to me, never the less, and placing flowers outside the gates at UP, after his death, is something i needed to do, and am proud to have done.
A signed picture of the great man is one of my most treasured pieces of WH memorabilia.... they're my club.... i've been a season ticket holder for 19 years now, and i'll be there tomorrow, when we thrash Chelski (yeah.. i know),
but i hate the way the club and the FA treated him, in his lifetime, post career.
I always have a wry smile when i walk past his statue at Wembley
and say 'thank you'.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home