Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wembley Stadium 1990. Question.
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: May 4, 2008 15:17

I remember going to Wembley to see the Stones only to find it was cancelled.
The ticket was valid for the replacement show.
Question: What was the cancelled show date and the subsequent new date?
Many forward thanks.

Re: Wembley Stadium 1990. Question.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 4, 2008 15:28

from [www.timeisonourside.com]

July 10, 1990: Keith Richards is treated at a London hospital for a seriously infected finger and the
Rolling Stones postone their next three concerts: one in Cardiff, Wales, and two more at Wembley
Stadium
. This is the first time in their history that the group has to postpone or cancel concerts
because of illness.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 4, 2008 15:29

Wasn't that the same time as Cardiff? Keith and a Septic Finger?

I know cause I was the fool who turned up to the cancelled gig.....

Date: May 4, 2008 15:30

[www.timeisonourside.com]

August 24-25, 1990: The Rolling Stones end their 1989-90 world tour, the biggest of their career and
largest-grossing in rock history at this point, with the two additional, rescheduled concerts at
London's Wembley Stadium
. The concerts are again filmed for the IMAX movie and are Bill Wyman's
last ever public performances with the group.

---------------------------------

In a book it´s mentioned that they were to play at Wembley on July 11, 13, 14.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 15:33 by TooTough.

Date: May 4, 2008 15:35

Cheers Too Tough. I just bought Live At The Max. I wondered if I was at that show or not. I lost my ticket. And my memory is not what it was.

Date: May 4, 2008 15:36

Date: May 4, 2008 15:44

WOW. Nice pic. Was you there?.Me and my mates got to Stanmore Underground St. We bought our fare and went down to the platform. Only to see a huge sign saying RS show cancelled. We were gutted.

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 4, 2008 16:09

Thanks to Keith I seen these concerts. I couldn't make it to the original dates, but I was there for both postponed shows.
They brought back the Steel Wheels stage instead of the Urban Jungle set for these shows, didn't they?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 4, 2008 16:56

z
Thanks to Keith I seen these concerts. I couldn't make it to the original dates, but I was there for both postponed shows.
They brought back the Steel Wheels stage instead of the Urban Jungle set for these shows, didn't they?

They certainly did.

In fact nearly all of Live At The IMAX was filmed at that Saturday night gig.

Date: May 4, 2008 17:17

Hi Barn Owl. Where did you get your source of info please? I´m steadily going through Nico Zentgraf´site. But nothing as yet. Cheers.

Date: May 4, 2008 17:37

The reason for my question is because I am compiling as much info as possible for each time I have seen the Stones. Artwork, audio, video or whatever. As each show is a piece of rock n´roll history.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 4, 2008 17:50

Hi jagger50!!

At the moment, I'm speaking from my own personal experience at having been at the gig myself (at the very front) and seeing a wired-up Julian Temple (the film's director) situated in a location right in front of the stage. For an hour or two before the Stones emerged, he was very animated, constantly looking around and pointing out things to different cameraman. When the gig started, there were cameras moving about everywhere!

If you watch the film (or DVD) you will notice that the Stones are using the Steel Wheels stage; which is it's only appearance during the entire european tour. This led many to speculate whether Keith's injury was really just a guise so as to buy time while the stage was brought over.

In the film itself, the familiar trappings of the old Wembley stadium can be seen during many of the songs, though interestingly, there is no written confirmation of this.

I'll have a look through my archives however, and see if I can find anything.

BTW, it was an absolutely brilliant concert!!

...and of course, Bill's final swansong...

Posted by: kait ()
Date: May 4, 2008 17:58

Barn Owl
...that the Stones are using the Steel Wheels stage; which is it's only appearance during the entire european tour

they used it in berlin too, if i'm right

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:01

From nzentgraf.de:

911025A 25th October: Los Angeles, California Museum Of Science And Industry.
Premiere of the movie ‘At The Max’. Concert-film specially made for IMAX-
cinemas. Director: Julien Temple.
- Start Me Up (MJ/KR) -London 24.8.90
- Sad Sad Sad (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -London 24.8.90
- Ruby Tuesday (MJ/KR) -London 25.8.90
- Rock And A Hard Place (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR)
- Happy (MJ/KR) -East-Berlin 14.8.90
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- 2000 Light Years From Home (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR) -London 24.8.90
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -London 25.8.90
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll (MJ/KR) -East-Berlin 14.8.90
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -London 25.8.90
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -London 24.8.90
Note: Sound recording dates. The pictures are a mix of all listed shows plus
footage from Torino 29.7.90 (shot in an empty stadium!).

Date: May 4, 2008 18:14

Cheers Barn Owl and erikjjf.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:26

There's also a short clip from Vienna 1990 in At The Max, according to...think it was Basement News if memory serves

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:43

The postponed shows were :

Cardiff 11 July (postponed to 16 July - the date they were supposed to play Dublin, which had been cancelled some weeks earlier)

Wembley 13 & 14 July (postponed to August 24 & 25)

They brought back the Steel Wheels stage for the shows in Turin, East Berlin and Wembley - and maybe another one (maybe Prague?)

At the time it came out, "At The Max" was trumpeted as having been filmed at Wembley, but as indicated above, some of it is from Turin and East Berlin too.

As well as the footage shot in the empty stadium in Turin (a concert scheduled for that day was cancelled due to poor ticket sales), they also shot some onstage footage in the empty Wembley Stadium a couple of days before the concerts there.

Date: May 4, 2008 18:53

Thanks Erik_Snow. Interesting. My first show was 1982 at Wembley. The What Makes The World Go Round DVD has a 1982 show. But IMO the camera angles are far to narrow. Not giving the full feel of the venue. Or the stage. Are there any other visual recordings of the 1982 Wembley shows?

Date: May 4, 2008 19:07

No. Think thats the only pro shot of that whole tour, actually - apart from the TV footage. Its from the 26.6.82 show. The 'Make the world go round' boot;eg LP however comes from the 25.6.82 show.

I remember when that Wembley footage came out a few months later.Someone bought the master for about £500 or something (a helluva lot of cash in 1982-83 for a 50 minute piece of video) and then made a couple of hundred 1st gen copies of it, selling them for something like £45 a time.

Date: May 4, 2008 19:14

Thank you my learned friends.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: May 4, 2008 23:32

Gazza
They brought back the Steel Wheels stage for the shows in Turin, East Berlin and Wembley - and maybe another one (maybe Prague?)

saw the show in prague, they used the urban jungle stage. must have some pics, anywhere

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: May 4, 2008 23:48

i think keith cut his finger at the hampden show in glasgow just days before the wembley gig, he said to the crowd "ive cut my finger, who gives a shit" maybe it was that finger which became infected.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 5, 2008 01:07

A great report of one of the original July shows from Robert Sandall of the London Sunday Times:

Date: May 5, 2008 02:41

kait
Gazza

saw the show in prague, they used the urban jungle stage. must have some pics, anywhere

Thanks. I have a video of the show, just couldnt be bothered looking for it!

Date: May 5, 2008 02:42

wee bobby lennox
i think keith cut his finger at the hampden show in glasgow just days before the wembley gig, he said to the crowd "ive cut my finger, who gives a shit" maybe it was that finger which became infected.

It was (I was at that show too - terrific night)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2008 06:23

The empty stadium dates were the film overdubs to the recorded tracks! Ruby Tuesday for one.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:07

whats the deal between the steel wheels stage design and the urban jungle stage set up.i was not even aware that they used a different stage for the european tour of 1990 anyone can shed some light on this.even a photo of the urban jungle stage please ?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:25

Steel Wheels:
[www.stufish.com]

Urban Jungle:
[www.stufish.com]

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:25

notice the price of the ticket ,if I remember Cd's were about half that price at the time, no sign of the deaded service charge either

TooTough

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 5, 2008 22:27

Really interested to read the review posted by LOGIE and noting the reference to Keith's allegedly shambolic performance. It appears that even 17 years ago he was provoking the sort of comments that have been so apparent on recent threads (toned down for wide publication and possible lawsuits, of course!).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2099
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home