Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Wembley Stadium 1990. Question.
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 7, 2008 07:14

Gazza
Erik

Doesnt make sense that there was only 1 UJ stage. Wouldnt have been logistically possible as there was usually just a day or two of 'downtime' between one city and the next one.

That's what I thought, but I think it was mentioned on Mark Fisher's site that there was only one set of the UJ set. Was locally assembled scaffolding used perhaps? If so, they would only bring lighting, sound, video, and the stage floor.

Date: May 7, 2008 09:20

Correction:

What's mentioned on Mark Fisher's website is that for Steel Wheels they had two identical sets of scenery, lighting, sound and video. But for Urban Jungle only one.
As for the steel structure, it was done the same way (three sets) for both tours.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:05

Good thread, this....brings back some nice memories of a great summer.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:25

certainly does ;^)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 7, 2008 15:52

In his report on the tour's operner in Rotterdam, the excellent Robert Sandall of the London Sunday Times, offers some clues as to the design considerations of the Urban Jungle stage:

Date: May 7, 2008 16:15

...and from the same Rotterdam gig, the tabloids have fun with silly captions:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2008 18:47

Hey Logie

You dont have any gems from the Daily Star that summer? their 'reporting' was unbelievable.

The aptly named Linda Duff was their showbiz 'correspondent' at that time, and she obviously had a bug up her fat ass that the Stones happened to be over 35 and still above the earth (where ARE you now, Linda?). They sent a reporter to cover the opening night in Rotterdam and he/she/it 'reviewed' the show (presumably from the floor of a hash bar in Amsterdam) and listed ten songs that the band apparently performed, which included 19th Nervous Breakdown, Get Off Of my Cloud and a host of others which hadnt been played for a decade or two.

Later in the summer they ran a headline titled "The Rolling Flops" alleging that the Stones had cancelled five of their planned ten shows at Wembley Stadium due to slow ticket sales (the reality being that they sold out five Wembley shows and played five other 'provincial' dates around the UK) - the paper later issued a grovelling apology after they were threatened with legal action for making it up.

Date: May 7, 2008 19:40

Unfortunately, I don't! What a laugh THAT would have been!

Though I have to say, over the years I have seen a few equally ridiculous "made-up" reports from the tabloids, and strangely with the same afore-mentioned songs, along with, of course, the usual one-liners such as "fans get no satisfaction" or "Time is NOT on My Side" etc.

I don't think they even leave their offices to write this type of garbage.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: May 7, 2008 19:51

WHAT guitar is Keith playing in pic no.2 from above?eye popping smiley

Big T

Date: May 7, 2008 20:01

JustinCaseBandDK
WHAT guitar is Keith playing in pic no.2 from above?

Looks like a Paul Reed Smith guitar, but I'm sure someone else can verify.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: May 7, 2008 20:40

erikjjf
JustinCaseBandDK
WHAT guitar is Keith playing in pic no.2 from above?

Looks like a Paul Reed Smith guitar, but I'm sure someone else can verify.

It seems there's a lot of surprises guitar-wise regarding Keith during the SW/UJ-tour,there's also the black w/with pickguard Stratocaster-thing he used for AHYS.

Big T

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 8, 2008 20:51

that a paul reed smith probably a Mccarthy model

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 8, 2008 21:03

What annoyed me most wasn't the bit where I got to the station to find the gig cancelled it was when I got home and watched. A 'fan' (and I use the word loosely) was interviewed outside the stadium. She was outraged at the cancellation and said 'couldn't they have got another guitarist?'

Now is the time for your tears...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 8, 2008 21:04

Ah, painful memories ... I drove all the way from Milano to London to see them, only to learn on the spot that the concert was cancelled!

I remember the excitement in London the day before.

I have also this memory of an interview to Keith on the radio, with him playing some licks on an acoustic guitar. Can anybody confirm or is it just my imagination?

C

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1584
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home