Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brown Sugar in 1972
Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 20:48

I would like to ask a question that I have wondered about ever since I became interested in the Stones a few years ago.

The 1972 performances of Brown Sugar are my favourite performances of the song.
Of course then Richards delivered a great rhythm, but I like it mainly because of Mick Taylors guitar on it.

I like a guitar effect Taylor uses after Richards intro to the start of the first verse. He then solos in the singing, before repeating this effect on the break between "young girl should" and "drums beating, cold English blood runs hot." He also repeats this effect on the saxophone solo, before reverting to soloing for the rest.
Similar effects to this seem to be also used on the 72, and 73 versions of Happy, Tumbling Dice & YCAGWYW, plus Dead Flowers from 70 to 73, and in my opinion, are a key part to the live sound of the band during this period, as Ron Wood doesn't seem to do this.

I am not a guitar player but am looking to learn in the future, hence why I can only describe as "this effect", what Taylor does may have a name, but not being a guitar player I don't know.
I am asking if any guitar players know how to play Taylors Brown Sugar parts like in 72 (eg what fret, what key), and if there are are any major differences on his playing on Brown Sugar to the other songs I mentioned, as they sound similar in my opinion. Then, when I do learn and become better at it after a while, I can play this effect.
Also, how much does his Les Paul have to do with producing this effect, would it sound much different with another guitar?

Sorry for a long post.
Thanks for reading.

Re: Brown Sugar in 1972
Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 23, 2010 22:16

Pfff, so many versions of Brown Sugar played that year! You're talking about a guitar effect, and listening to the Ladies and Gentlemen version of that song, I think you probably hear some pull offs and hammer ons. It's an easy technique for beginners. Playing it like Taylor might take a little practicing smiling smiley I even think Wood and Richards never used this technique, while complete solo's by Taylor can be build around hammer ons and pull offs.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 22:42

Sacke
Pfff, so many versions of Brown Sugar played that year! You're talking about a guitar effect, and listening to the Ladies and Gentlemen version of that song, I think you probably hear some pull offs and hammer ons. It's an easy technique for beginners. Playing it like Taylor might take a little practicing smiling smiley I even think Wood and Richards never used this technique, while complete solo's by Taylor can be build around hammer ons and pull offs.

Thank you for your reply.
I cannot think of Wood or Richards ever using this technique either. It seems unique to Taylor as I have not heard it after 73.
I have seen a video on YouTube of a tribute band, attempting to impersonate the band in 72 (and doing a very good job IMO), doing Brown Sugar and they use this effect, which sounds authentic.
After 1972 it doesn't seem this effect was used, it does not appear on the 73 Pacific tour, and by 73 Europe Taylor seems to be soloing where he played this effect before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 23:11 by urbanjungle90.

Date: February 24, 2010 00:08

Although Taylor always kind of free styled it, there does seem to be a broad pattern to his solos through the tours.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 24, 2010 07:36

This song has sufferef live since MT left it must have a two prong guitar attack of the type that is not Ronnie's strength. The 72-73 versions kick ass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home