Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I Like Don Was
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 7, 2008 00:25

I've read a lot of negative comments about Don working with the Stones, and I don't understand it at all. I think he is great for the Stones.

Voodoo Lounge was a breath of fresh air after the already dated production of steel wheels. Great drum sounds. Great guitar sounds. Some nice nostalgic production touches, like getting Mick & Keith to sing harmonies into the same mike just like the good old days, a welcome return of the Harpsichord. How many producers would let Charlie play drums on a trash can? Putting Charlie's drums in the stairwell? That's as cool to me as when Jimmy Miller worked with Keith on his "acoustic guitars through a sony cassette tape" experimentation on "Streets Fighting Man" in 1968.

The songs on Bridges To Babylon that he produced sound amazing to me.
It sounds fantastically raw, live and loose! No Frills! Rough edges intact!
The doghouse bass makes a welcome return, it's first since exile (?)
This is the sound of a band in a room, making music. Exactly what I want from the Stones! Don't laugh, but I really think this could've been their best sounding album since Exile if Don had been left in charge!

A Bigger Bang suffers from the over loud mastering process which was not down to Don Was. If you look past that, there's another raw, kick ass sounding Stones record.

I don't want someone else to produce the Stones, I think Don kicks ass!

Just my two cents!

Re: I Like Don Was
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 7, 2008 00:53

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 7, 2008 02:44

I don't think anybody ever seriously criticized the "sound" of any of The Stones recordings that Don Was was the "producer" of. The real question was what he REALLY does as producer. Exactly how MUCH input does he really have? Does he engineer the recording or just push "record"? Does he say "we need another take" or "thats the one"? Does he say "that song sucks, what else have ya got"? Or, "there's too much filler on this record, go in the back room and don't come out till you've written something good"?

Our general contention here is that ANY "producer" after Jimmy Miller is just basically a Yes Man who does the menial, tedious crap that The Stones just don't want to do.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 7, 2008 03:29

I too like Don Was. Generally, (though not as much anymore) producers are responsible for the "sound" of a song/album. Things like tone, mixing, mic placement, etc.

josh.
np: goodbye daughters of the revolution - black crowes

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 7, 2008 03:43

I think that Voodoo Lounge is sonically OK, but that the album as a whole is a conceptual mess--a grab-bag of styles done throughout the Stones' career, except with mostly bad songs. Final responsibility for that lies with the Stones themselves, but I would think that Jagger was on the level when he described Was as having steered them away from some more experimental impulses.

Stripped is, in my mind, a leading contender for worst-sounding record in their career. Hopelessly wimpy and soft...amazing that anyone could help the Stones to sound that sterile. And the song selection is beyond useless--a collection of the most obvious remakes, with only "Wild Horses" even holding a candle to the original. I'm still daydreaming about raw, Miller-esque (or vintage Rod Stewart-esque, eh Woody?) acoustic takes on "Sympathy," "Gimme Shelter," "Mona," and any number of covers.

I love Bridges and can't complain about the sound of ABB, so I'm right with vudicis on those albums...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 7, 2008 04:40

I would be curious to see them produced by someone with a fresh perspective, but Keith and Mick will probably never let it happen.

Posted by: morkos ()
Date: March 7, 2008 04:47

Definitely agreed about Steel Wheels sounding dated. Undercover sounds much, much better and it was from '83

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 7, 2008 05:34

I think Don Was a good producer. AHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahahahahahhahahahahaahaah

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: March 7, 2008 10:16

The Sound: Yesss, pretty cool in most cases.

The Input: Might be a problem, tends to be near zero < in my opinion. Maybe the Stones [Four old men] have reached a habitus, in which they don't want to change their way of working, writing, playing. I think, or fear, this is the point.

You all remember the success of letting a producer like Rick Rubin onto Mick Jagger: Wandering Spirit, a really great record. But, as far as we are informed, before this record was finished, the producerd kicked Mick's ass.

Maybe the stones don't want this anymore?

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 7, 2008 10:49

Thoughts on this subject about Don Was/producers in general etc...does anyone own the excellent 4 cd boot of Voodoo Brew ?...anyone curious about this release containing hours of out-takes from the VL sessions in superb sound & very detailed notes?...and available very soon after the official release...( see my comment about similar events concerning bootleg videos from the VL tour )...disk 4 from this set contains the VL lp/cd but a very different mix if you listen closely...is it possible that this version was the preferred final mix from Don Was ?..and maybe he was over-ruled by others for a decidely brighter mix ?..this has always interested me because I prefer the Voodoo Brew version...you will have to listen to both versions side by side to pick up the subtle differences...you gotta wonder...comments welcome....peter

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 7, 2008 15:43

I like Don (Was) Knotts.

[www.policecatalog.com]

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:10

I wouldn't mind a different producer if they ever venture in the studio again, but I rank VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON very highly. I also believe Don Was has considerable input. Mick complained to Rolling Stone in late 1995 that Don Was, like Rick Rubin, was trying to make EXILE again and deliberately led them away from some African influences and experimental ideas that had come out of the Blue Wave sessions. Mick was also critical of STRIPPED calling it boring. Don played on STRIPPED and BRIDGES. The fact he was named an Executive Producer on BRIDGES in addition to his song production credits points to his level of involvement. Rob Fraboni told Stone People Magazine he co-produced all three of Keith's tracks for BRIDGES but that Don Was only gave him a production credit on one. Was' recent remarks about finding it difficult to be in the middle of the Mick 'n' Keith sandwich and another producer (maybe Ethan Johns?) had remarked in an interview that Was called the experience of working with the Glimmers "a nightmare" point to the fact that he is more than a yes-man whether people like the results or not. I think the reason they dropped Chris Kimsey is purely the fact that Chris' career outside the band took a commercial downturn. Don Was is less abrasive than Rick Rubin, offers commercial clout, and approaches each project with a fresh perspective rather than trying to direct the band into a consistent approach. However, his recent remarks about people not wanting new music from the band likely guarantees he won't be behind the console if there is a next time.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:56

I like Don Was too. The song Brand New Car sticks out a as cool memory. Reminds me of Words of Wonder off Main Offender.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2008 19:11

I think, no matter what, it's just like a team. There is the coach and there are the players. Teams lose not because of the coach but because they play bad (several teams in all sports). Teams also lose because the coach calls bad plays (New Orleans Saints are a perfect example of that).

There have been great songs and terrible songs on all of the Don Was albums.

Ultimately, it is up to Mick and Keith. Based on Keith's records, the Stones don't need an outside producer. I do like Voodoo, Stripped, Bridges and Bang - but not every tune. Where as the Jimmy Miller era, with possible exception to Wanna See His Face, there isn't one bad track among the 5 albums and 2 non-LP singles.

Is that Jimmy Miller or just the Stones really firing at 100%?

Probably both. And the post 1983 Stones have not been firing at 100%. They had 100% moments on Bridges and Bang and Voodoo and Stripped, some more than others (Bang is probably the most consistent while Bridges is all over the shop). Their last album with Kimsey was Steel Wheels. It has 4 songs that are great and the rest are just filler. Dirty Work didn't do anything to help with their legacy.

Undercover was probably their last radical change in sound as far as production and with the mix. They had to do something different then. And Undercover was it.

A Bigger Bang is probably their last album. Personally I hope not, I'd love to hear one more. But I doubt it will be inventive.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 7, 2008 21:15

I think Jimmy Miller's Influence is really big on Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. After that the Glimmer Twins asserted themselves more. the sound on Sticky Fingers and Exile is not as crisp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-07 21:16 by ryanpow.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 7, 2008 21:29

I am not a fan of Don Was, I have never cared for anything he has done. He made his name as a producer with the Bonnie Raitt comeback album that I thought was just boring adult-contemporary background noise.

I do agree that it is always the Mick and Keith show and any producer that wanted to work with them is not going to be calling the shots.

My gut feeling is that the only "known" producer capable of making a Stones album that approaches the glory years is Rick Rubin. I base this on his excellent body of work, the first and foremost being Wandering Spirit. We all know that this will never happen primarily because Mick does not care to be told that his lyrics are crap and that he can do better. I doubt very much that Keith would respond well to a firm hand either.

Bridges and Voodoo have their moments but they are not "Great" albums, they have some very good songs surrounded by highly professional filler.

You know who is currently capable of producing a great sounding, bluesy-rockin' relaxed but intense record? Keith Richards. Go back and listen to the Marsha Hansen CD, My Soul Is A Witness. Many of those songs are ruined for me because of her operatic vocals but when she tones it down and gets earthy the band really grooves.

Listen to the George Recille drum-groove that opens This Little Light Of Mine

Try not to get fired up about the spare but wild drums, base, organ, rhythm guitar funk groove that coarses through I Got A Robe

Need further proof? Crank up Rock Of Jerusalem, Been In the Storm So Long and Hush, Hush. Delete the rest from your Ipod

The "Sound" and the "Feel" of these tracks brings to mind a great Tom Waits session. As I remeber it, these were recorded in Keith's basement studio with his crack team of cronies.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2008 21:34

Truly I don't have a clue of who does what in Stones productions now days. For sure the official VL couldn't have been worse sound and choice-of-songs whise! I agree that the brew version is way better.

B2B I love immensly, but let's face it, there is an abyss between the 3 keef songs and the rest of the pack.

The lix sessions truly sound great though. Too bad the songs on 40lix are not exactly the best stones songs on disc.

ABB is a good but not great production. I bet Was had nothing much to do with it.

C

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 7, 2008 22:05

Don Was the Rolling Stones' Producer When Exactly ?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 7, 2008 22:12

i would love to hear a new stones record with a modern and fresh type of producer, not that traditional band recording type of producer.
Dust Brothers, Neptunes, Timbaland. That would be very interesting.

Another record with Don Was or Rick Rubin would be just another boring record that can´t give anyting new to what they have already done.

i definately don´t like the sound Don Was gets, i actually hate him for the way he captures the band,

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 7, 2008 22:40

i would welcome jimmy miller back in a heartbeat, also i like glyn,and andy johns work -nice and clean and crisp so you can hear those fender guitars twang again unlike don was that turns up the guitars to distorted levels and drowns out the horns.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: March 7, 2008 22:58

Jimmy Miller is dead.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 8, 2008 00:10

morkos
Definitely agreed about Steel Wheels sounding dated. Undercover sounds much, much better and it was from '83

Both Steel Wheels and Undercover suck soundwise. Especially the drums. Not nearly as thunderous and bashing as from VL and forth.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 8, 2008 01:16

Spodlumt
Jimmy Miller is dead.

True, but as we already said: Don Was.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 8, 2008 14:35

This "late born" casual Stones fan indeed likes Don Was. In fact, he's one of my favourite producers. He's done well on VL and B2B. I'm not too fond of ABB, but that is personal taste, I guess. Still, the decision to master ABB way too loud was a wrong one.
Don Was started out as 1/2 of the duo that masterminded Was (Not Was), the dance/funk pop group with absurdist and dadaist lyrics from Detroit. That group had lots of guest stars on their records even then, so in a way, that kind of destined him to become a producer. Not long after Was (Not Was) hit big with "Walk the Dinosaur", he got into producing. I guess people hired him at first, because they wanted to be current, just as is always the case with new producers.
He is a good bass player, but not an engineer. He used to work with the best engineers LA has to offer on his productions: Rik Pekkonen, Ed Cherney, Don Smith, Dan Bosworth, and most recently, Krish Sharma. If you listen to Don's work carefully, the different engineers' input is noticeable.
My choice for Don's best productions would be his contributions to "Time Takes Time" by Ringo Starr, his contributions to "Cosmic Thing" by the B-52s, his contributions to "Bridges To Babylon" by the Rolling Stones, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" by Brian Wilson, and "Forever's A Long Long Time" by Orquestra Was.

The fact that Don stated that people wouldn't want new music from the Stones at this point surely gives an impression that he is to step aside as the Stones' producer. I'd love to see Rob Fraboni replace him for the next Stones record.

By the way, who has produced and engineered the Shine A Light soundtrack?

Date: March 8, 2008 15:01

stoneswashed77
i would love to hear a new stones record with a modern and fresh type of producer, not that traditional band recording type of producer.
Dust Brothers, Neptunes, Timbaland. That would be very interesting.

Vudicus Again: :-)

For me, I could think of nothing worse.
Modern producers like that who have their own sound/style, would make an album sound like a 50/50 collaboration rather than a Rolling Stones record.
It may be interesting, but I don't think it would work. It would be another "Satanic Majesties" (although produced by Mick & Keith), interesting album in it's own way, but not really what the Stones are all about.

Listen to what the dust brothers did on "Bridges To Babylon" compared to the tracks that Don Was produced. "Anybody Seen My Baby" for example, don't get me wrong, I like that song a lot, but after following the raw in your face production of "Flip The Switch" which cooks like a @#$%&, it kinda pails in comparison to my ears.

There's always been a great balance between what Mick and Keith want from the stones. Mick wants the band to sound up to date and with the times, whereas Keith wants to keep it rootsy and timeless. There's already a strong foundation there.
All they need is a producer who can find a good balance between the two.
Once you get a modern producer involved, the balance goes out the window, and you lose the true essence of the Rolling Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-08 15:04 by vudicus.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 8, 2008 15:11

if the stones want to sound real and good one more time, there is only, yes ONLY one choice:

RICK RUBIN

Date: March 8, 2008 15:15

guitarbastard
if the stones want to sound real and good one more time, there is only, yes ONLY one choice:

RICK RUBIN

I agree he is a great producer, but until he worked with the Stones, there's no way of telling what the results would be like.

The stones sound real now, they sound like the stones!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 8, 2008 15:35

he worked with jagger on wandering spirit and the result was great!
i think he could lead them in a similar direction as he did with johnny cash.
make a rough, back to basic bluesy album. he would be the man!!!

Date: March 8, 2008 15:55

guitarbastard
he worked with jagger on wandering spirit and the result was great!
i think he could lead them in a similar direction as he did with johnny cash.
make a rough, back to basic bluesy album. he would be the man!!!

You could well be right, wandering spirit is by far my favorite Jagger album.
It's got a great sound and feel and it's consistent, not something that could be said for all of Jaggers solo efforts.

I too would love to hear a back to basic bluesy album although I doubt it would happen. I think record companies would see it as something with limited appeal and sadly sales are more important than art in this day and age.

How cool would it be if they went right back to basics with the recording?
Mick & Keith write a bunch of blues tunes and pull out some covers too.
Set up an old 8 track analog reel to reel, valve desk & mics, no computers. Set the band up in the same room. 2/3 guitars, bass, drums, Harmonica, grand and/or upright piano. Leakage galore! No e'q, if it sounds wrong then move the mic, Press play, and leave them to it!

I'm sure either Ruben or Was could rise to the challenge beautifuly.
Failong that, I'd be happy to give it a shot!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 8, 2008 19:29

"Modern producers like that who have their own sound/style, would make an album sound like a 50/50 collaboration rather than a Rolling Stones record.
It may be interesting, but I don't think it would work."

This is exactly what i would find a very good idea. modern day producers are artists theirselfs. i would be interested in a producer who would give someting to the music that neither mick nor keith can give to it.

a collaboration is what i would want them to do.

a blues record would be a completely different thing, therefore they would only need engineers. the stones could produce a record like that competely theirselfs.

a blues record is the least thing i would want them to do. who needs another straight blues record. blues is history for a long time now.

as a musician you need to know the blues of ourse, but make something new with it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home