Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question: I've Got My Own Album To Do
Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: January 31, 2008 00:44

Was this recorded before the album IORR? How did Woodie get MT to play on the album? I didn't know they were close, especially considering MT was leaving the Stones and Ronnie was just joining.

Re: Question: I've Got My Own Album To Do
Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 31, 2008 02:06

The fact that we 'fans' spend so much time discussing who's a better guitarplayer, doesn't mean that there should be any kind of strangeness whatsoever in the fact that one guitarplayer, who before decideded to quit a job, plays at the album of the other, who afterwards took that job.

It's us who think too difficult.

Jelle

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 31, 2008 02:13

ronnies first album was released in 74 prior to MT leaving the stones and some material at these sessions showed up on Now Look(rons 2nd) in 75 I think. But actually it looks like Mick T. contributed as much if not more to Rons early solo stuff as any other stone.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 31, 2008 04:25

scottkeef
ronnies first album was released in 74 prior to MT leaving the stones and some material at these sessions showed up on Now Look(rons 2nd) in 75 I think. But actually it looks like Mick T. contributed as much if not more to Rons early solo stuff as any other stone.

hmmm; pretty interesting; ty. mickt has said that he and ron were friends going back to childhood almost, even before The Birds, and that he (mick) had facilitated the glims first meetings with ron once he (mick) knew he was going to leave the stones.
i don't know what ron is "allowed" to say about this period, or their friendship, but ronnie is a bit of a revisionist in a lot of areas, or perhaps faulty memory as much as intentional...he used to drinks a bit i understand. ahem.
ron has had to walk thru a lot of sensitive politics with the combustile glims from the gitgo; maybe even saving the band on an occasion or two when mick (jagger) and keith were at each others throats.
... tho they did actually make him a stone after twenty years or so...lol
but obviously taylor was there for him in the very earliest solo days. thanks for the post scottkeef, i hadn't realized that.
haven't read ronnie's book. does he talk about taylor much?
from what i've heard from fans here, he dosen't even talk about the incredible jeff beck very much...(or too much about Faces) which is a shame if true; the boy's got such an amazing rock and roll history of achievement, before even becoming a stone. i really enjoyed when ron and rod got back together for that 'unplugged' mtv thing many years ago...was very heartwarming and great music too.
on HG, ron is so thrilling killer i have to listen every couple of days to at least a few tracks. go ronnie go...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 04:27 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: January 31, 2008 04:51

Beelyboy
scottkeef

hmmm; pretty interesting; ty. mickt has said that he and ron were friends going back to childhood almost, even before The Birds, and that he (mick) had facilitated the glims first meetings with ron once he (mick) knew he was going to leave the stones.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I didn't know MT and Ronnie were friends beforehand. IGMOATD is such a great album. I find the 'behind the scenes' info fascinating.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 31, 2008 11:37

yep Mick T and Ronnie knew each other already - and Ronnie and the Stones knew each other too.

>> (Mick) had facilitated the glims first meetings with Ron once he (Mick) knew he was going to leave the Stones. <<

er ... no. Ronnie knew the Stones well before Mick T had joined them,
so if he facilitated anything it wasn't a "first meeting".

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 31, 2008 13:26

earliest i can find of keith and ron playing together was july of '74, two or three months before mick taylor first told bill he was leaving, according bil bill; i don't know the exact genesis of ron's relationship with keith or mick so i am just going on what taylor has said, that he had purposely gotten the glims together with ron at events a few times around the time he was seriously considering leaving. perhaps taylor was being untruthful? he's usually pretty straight ahead. i dunno...he said he had suggested ronnie and also informed ronnie and didn't want to leave the band just dead flat; tho i know that's how mick jagger has said that's how he felt about it.
i had said "first meetingS," not very first meeting (singular,) but i really don't know the exact genesis of ron's beginning relationship with them. it surely wasn't hyde park as ron has claimed, but you are much more knowledgeable than i about their collective careers with sssoul and if you have any more info about this history i'd love to hear about it, as it's fascinating handover in any case, however exactly it happened. thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 13:28 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 31, 2008 18:00

Regardless of all that
It is an absolutely incredible solo LP that never gets much respect outside Stonesdom.

I think I'd better go give it another spin.
Thanks for the idea.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 31, 2008 21:21

just a tip if anyone hasnt read the inside notes carefully(which is kinda hard for us old folks w reading glasses) of "First Barbarians Kilburn" the studio notes credits MT with quite a bit of contributions on the songs from Rons first album. And not all neccessarily guitar!!

Date: January 31, 2008 21:39

Beelyboy, Ronnie did know the Stones without Mick T introducing them - probably before Mick T knew them.
which doesn't mean Mick T was "being untruthful"; if he said they didn't know each other before 1974
maybe he just wasn't concentrating when he said it, or forgot, or wasn't aware. but is that what he said?
i mean: he may have gone out of his way to get them together in 74 even if they already knew each other.

i don't know all the details either, but: Ronnie says his first meeting with Keith & Mick was in 1966
when he played bass on Come Home Baby (which most sources list as 1967, but anyway!)
which Mick produced, while Keith played guitar and PP Arnold duetted with one Rod Stewart.
Ronnie's spoken of meeting Brian at least once. Charlie had played with the Artwoods (Ronnie's brother's band).
and the Faces were sharing the Stones' Bermondsey Street rehearsal space in 1969 -
Stu set that up, but it does indicate that the bands knew each other.

and i personally believe Ronnie did speak to Charlie & Mick outside a 1969 Hyde Park concert -
i think that happened at the june 69 concert, and Ronnie got it muddled later.
(Bill confirms that Mick at least was at the june Hyde Park concert, checking out how it was all set up;
Bill says that's why Blind Faith played Under My Thumb.)

and yeah, I've Got My Own Album to Do is a great joy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-01 00:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 1, 2008 07:03

scottkeef
just a tip if anyone hasnt read the inside notes carefully(which is kinda hard for us old folks w reading glasses) of "First Barbarians Kilburn" the studio notes credits MT with quite a bit of contributions on the songs from Rons first album. And not all neccessarily guitar!!

The songs listed are the ones on which Taylor plays (thanks, Nico: www.nzentgraf.de):

740400B late April - May: RON WOOD. Richmond, England, The Wick (RW's
home studio). Producers: Ron Wood and Gary Kellgren. Sound engineers:
Gary Kellgren and Ron Nevison.
- Far East Man (RW/George Harrison) -Jean Roussell on organ, Ian McLagan on
piano, George Harrison on guitar and backing vocals
- If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody (Rudy Clark) -KR on guitar
and backing vocals, Ian McLagan on organ, Willie Weeks on bass
- It's Unholy (RW) -Willie Weeks on bass, Ian McLagan on organ, Jean
Roussell on clavinet and electric piano
- Shirley (RW) -Ian McLagan on ARP synthesizer
- Take A Look At The Guy (RW) -KR on guitar, Rod Stewart on vocals,
Ian McLagan on piano, Willie Weeks on bass
Basic line-up: MT (gtr, bass, wurlitzer, ARP synth)/RW (voc, gtr)/Andy
Newmark (dr)

740913A 13th September: RON WOOD.
LP 'I've Got My Own Album To Do' (Warner Brothers WB 56065).
Producers: Ron Wood and Gary Kellgren. Sound engineers: Gary Kellgren,
Ron Nevison. Incl.
- Far East Man (RW/George Harrison)
- Take A Look At The Guy (RW)
- Shirley (RW)
- If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody (Rudy Clarke)
Line-up: see 740400B.

Date: February 1, 2008 09:40

<The songs listed are the ones on which Taylor plays (thanks, Nico: www.nzentgraf.de):>

Taylor also plays on at least Crotch Music and Big Bayou, maybe more songs. Your info is not accurate.

Date: February 1, 2008 10:37

Big Bayou isn't on I've Got My Own Album to Do.

Date: February 1, 2008 11:03

Nor is It's Unholy. I was just referring to which songs Taylor played on, during the IGMOATD-sessions drinking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2008 11:18

And of course Wood was present at NOvember '73 sessions for IORR, jamming on an early version of Black Limousine.

Mathijs

Date: February 1, 2008 14:02

>> I was just referring to which songs Taylor played on, during the IGMOATD-sessions <<

i thought Big Bayou was recorded in april 75.

Date: February 1, 2008 14:39

You may be right, withsssoul. I just didn't take it for granted that Taylor showed up for new sessions with Ronnie and Keith the year after he left the stones. And he is definitely playing on Big Bayou.

Date: February 1, 2008 14:44

>> new sessions with Ronnie and Keith <<

Keith isn't on Big Bayou, is he?! and april 75 was be just a few months after Mick T left the Stones.
i mean: as long as we're being disciplined about the accuracy of the information being posted ... smoking smiley
(and ... with sssoul is two words, please & thank you. or just sssoul is good.)

Date: February 1, 2008 15:48

No he isn't. But I've never read anywhere that Taylor came back for a new session for Now Look? One of slide guitars on Bayou is definitely Taylor, but here (http://www.connollyco.com/discography/ron_wood/nowlook.html) he's only credited on It's Unholy... Strange confused smiley

Sorry, I'm sloppy with names, with sssoul . I hope you forgive me smiling smiley

Date: February 1, 2008 17:02

>> One of slide guitars on Bayou is definitely Taylor <<

maybe that's the part that's not correct?
i mean: if it wasn't recorded in 74, he didn't go back for another session with Ronnie in 75,
and he isn't credited on it, that would all sort of tend to indicate that maybe he's not on the track.
i'm just speculating, of course! smoking smiley

Date: February 1, 2008 17:13

But the second slide guitar with the vibrato is not done by Ronnie. It's like Silver Train, take #2. It's gotta be Taylor. Anyone who can fill in with some info on this - Mathijs, Alan, other MT-fans?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home