Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LIL Wayne on the cover of Rollin' Stone
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 11, 2010 22:48

The rapper is on the cover of the february2010 issue of the rock mag wearing a necklace chain with the famous Rolling Stone logo on it. I needed my magnifier glass, to make sure that is what it was, because the dude's skin is covered with tattoos and the medallion(tongue) is small.It's easy to miss it.
I don't know if he likes the Stones or if he wears it to bring some rock&roll creds(hey, that is the cool word to use) to his rapper image. Apparently he has just released a rock album. I know, who cares!!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-11 22:49 by rollmops.

Re: LIL Wayne on the cover on Rollin' Stone
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 11, 2010 22:49

Is he the one that is getting dental surgery before he goes to jail?

Re: LIL Wayne on the cover of Rollin' Stone
Posted by: claudine ()
Date: February 11, 2010 22:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-11 23:05 by claudine.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 11, 2010 22:55

i'm pretty sure rappers are allowed to listen to and enjoy rock music.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 11, 2010 23:01

Or maybe someone gave to it to him at the photo shoot because it is Rolling Stone magazine and the tongue is a Rolling Stones icon?

It's interesting and fin to see but I wouldn't think it's too deep (Li'l Wayne sure isn't) But who knows?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 11, 2010 23:04

from Wikipedia:
In an interview with Blender magazine, Lil Wayne revealed one of his favorite bands from childhood to be rock group Nirvana, and cites them as a major influence in his music.
so if he likes Nirvana, it's possible he likes the Stones as well.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 11, 2010 23:06

Can't stand him or his music...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: February 11, 2010 23:09

The above cover is from about a year ago. The photo on the front of the current issue is different, so apparently he's been wearing the necklace for quite awhile....

Current cover: (spoiler alert, way too many tattoos, if he gets an idea for another tattoo, he's S.O.L.)

[i.realone.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2010 23:34

Ahhhh he's just suckin' up to The Glimmers ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 12, 2010 00:02

His last show was in my town.
I remember it was advertised as his "farewell" show.
I'm thinking "farewell show?" I've never heard of this guy!

Turns out it's his last show before going to prison.
No wonder I've never heard of him. Just another trash-ass rapper.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 12, 2010 06:46

Edith Grove

Maybe to you...but if you like hip-hop, dig the flow and beats of a great rapper, and understand the form's musical lineage Lil Wayne is a major talent...listening to Tha Carter III (2008) is a gas...the man is a hip-hop demon...his last rock-based CD is a tremendous misstep and a horrible flop...but his hip-hop recordings are mostly phenomenal bordering on transcendent...

Date: February 12, 2010 06:49

Edith Grove

By the way...if, as I suspect (from the pictograph on your post) you're from New Orleans then you must live under a rock...Lil Wayne is from New Orleans and the town's biggest musical export in years...anyway, congratulations on your Saints!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 12, 2010 06:55

Who cares??? I can not stand rap with a very limited number of exceptions. That magazine stinks now.

Date: February 12, 2010 13:15

Turd On The Run
Edith Grove

By the way...if, as I suspect (from the pictograph on your post) you're from New Orleans then you must live under a rock...Lil Wayne is from New Orleans and the town's biggest musical export in years...anyway, congratulations on your Saints!

Hey! Thanks for the good words on the Saints and yes, I live in New Orleans.

Obviously, I abhor rap. I won't even call it music.
Yes, I found out this guy is from New Orleans when his "farewell" show was so highly publicized.
I like to think I don't live under a rock but, obviously, I limit my exposure to rap as much as possible.
Thinking about this, it seems that our local music rag (Offbeat) only occasionally prints articles (that I have noticed) on rap, and it's a rare occasion for WWOZ to broadcast rap.
I suppose there is a local source for "all things rap," but I have yet to notice it.

On the better side, my co-worker's son participates in some kind of "hip-hop" dance class at school. Is "hip-hop" the same as rap?
Anyway, if he can learn something from this class then that's great for him.
I just hope he keeps a good sense of reality, and understands that a drug-using, weapons toting loser like Lil Wayne is not something to look up to.

Cheers!

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: February 12, 2010 13:17

claudine

If only Johnny Thunders was here to take that Les Paul and smash Lil' Wayne's head to pulp. Put the guitar down, poseur.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2010 13:38

Lil Wayne vs. Abkco (just for a change!)

Settlement

C

Date: February 12, 2010 13:47

Turd On The Run
...but if you like hip-hop, dig the flow and beats of a great rapper, and understand the form's musical lineage Lil Wayne is a major talent...listening to Tha Carter III (2008) is a gas...the man is a hip-hop demon...his last rock-based CD is a tremendous misstep and a horrible flop...but his hip-hop recordings are mostly phenomenal bordering on transcendent...

Wow -- thanks, TOTR! I had no idea. I had misjudged him and will give him another try. Very cool to know. I'm embarrassed I did what I try not to do (shut down an artist before giving them a real openhearted bunch of listens)

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 12, 2010 21:34

this must be the worst music i heard for quite some time.
and i really like some hip hop and r&b.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 12, 2010 22:28

Edith Grove
a drug-using, weapons toting loser like Lil Wayne is not something to look up to.

Cheers!

That same thing could be said of a lot of rock and roll legends, too.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 13, 2010 03:12

Lukester
Edith Grove
a drug-using, weapons toting loser like Lil Wayne is not something to look up to.

Cheers!

Naw, surely not!

Date: February 13, 2010 03:45

Turd On The Run
Maybe to you...but if you like hip-hop, dig the flow and beats of a great rapper, and understand the form's musical lineage Lil Wayne is a major talent...listening to Tha Carter III (2008) is a gas...the man is a hip-hop demon...his last rock-based CD is a tremendous misstep and a horrible flop...but his hip-hop recordings are mostly phenomenal bordering on transcendent...

Turd on the Run, just wanted to let you know I've started listening to Tha Carter III, and so far Dr. Carter is my favorite. Wow. I'm digging him and love to be learning of someone I'd written off.

btw....the only characteristic of an ultra-healthy rapper that Dr Carter doesn't check his patients for is complexity of thought and wide range of references. Acknowledging my exposure is very limited and there's much more to absorb about Lil Wayne - so I say this with humbleness - but so far I'm missing that element in Lil Wayne himself -- the intellectual component that distinguishes my favorite rappers from rappers whose skills impress me but don't move me on all cylinders.

Posted by: RKH1981 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 06:30

no clue where these came from, but somebody took Stones samples and put Jay Z over them. this one has Lil' Wayne + Jay Z rapping over bits of Winter by the Stones

I put a link to all cd quality full songs in another thread. Still don't know what to think of these. kinda like some of them...

Date: February 13, 2010 15:20

theimposter
Lukester
Edith Grove

Cheers!

Naw, surely not!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 13, 2010 15:27

Rap is nothing but Jailhouse poetry.....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 13, 2010 16:55

Turd On The Run
Edith Grove

I have heard that said about him. Given that YOU'VE endorsed him, I think I'll have to check him out.

Re: LIL Wayne on the cover on Rollin' Stone
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 13, 2010 16:56

skipstone
Is he the one that is getting dental surgery before he goes to jail?

That's him. Apparently he's having all the diamonds and precious metal taken out of his mouth ....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 13, 2010 18:18

Oh man. What a funny place to put valuable things.

Hey Turd, what is the musical lineage of rap? Do you even know? I've heard several things about it and it's got nothing to do with how it is today. The only rap 'music' I've ever liked ie would listen to on a conscious level, was early Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre - almost everything Dre touched was gold - and Ice Tand Ice Cube. That's it. But I don't own any of it.

Never did get into that flour white boy from Detroit. Detroit ain't Brooklyn.

Date: February 13, 2010 21:16

skipstone
Oh man. What a funny place to put valuable things.

Hey Turd, what is the musical lineage of rap? Do you even know? I've heard several things about it and it's got nothing to do with how it is today. The only rap 'music' I've ever liked ie would listen to on a conscious level, was early Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre - almost everything Dre touched was gold - and Ice Tand Ice Cube. That's it. But I don't own any of it.

Never did get into that flour white boy from Detroit. Detroit ain't Brooklyn.

It is fantastic to read how many open-minded people contribute their thoughts to this post, people who are willing to suspend misconceptions and try something new...Lil Wayne, and Rap / Hip Hop (Edith Grove asks 'Is "hip-hop" the same as rap?' and the answer is the terms rap and hip-hop are actually interchangeable, though the term hip hop encompasses an entire subculture including the mode of dress, speech, and inner-city street-sensibility) can be very polarizing - much like Rock and Roll was in its early era - but if one 'understands' and appreciates the form it is indeed very musical in that the human voice and the backing rhythm tracks are used as instruments to create cadences and melodies and meld together to create a synthesis of 'thoughts for the head and beats for the feet'. So Hip-Hop can be as galvanizing and Hard Core as Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos", or as 'Punk' as "Bring The Noise", a song that rivals anything the Sex Pistols did for rage and speed, and then when mixed with R&B beats, samples and choruses the form takes on entirely new musical vistas and can be as 'smooth' as Kayne West's flows or as whacked and brilliant as Lil Wayne's demented mash-ups.

As far as the lineage of Hip-Hop...it is quite fascinating. It originates in Africa with their very own version of Western Culture's Troubadours (traveling Poets and Singers) called Griots. Here is a very general yet comprehensive overview if you are interested:

[en.wikipedia.org]

The thing about Hip Hop is that it is a living and growing culture and art form...and like any art form 98% of it is derivative, useless, and utterly disposable. But if one knows where to look there is genius and transcendence to be found. Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III is a treasure cove for this...he's a Cough Syrup-swilling, Ganka-toking gnome and his flows are deconstructions of the English language that often boggle the mind and have you giggling and tapping your toes...his use of sounds and words as building blocks for his alternately hilarious and brainsick metaphors will have your head spinning, and the flows and beats are as inventive and unique as you will find in Hip-Hop.

Date: February 13, 2010 23:09

Turd On The Run

It is fantastic to read how many open-minded people contribute their thoughts to this post, people who are willing to suspend misconceptions and try something new...Lil Wayne, and Rap / Hip Hop (Edith Grove asks 'Is "hip-hop" the same as rap?' and the answer is the terms rap and hip-hop are actually interchangeable, though the term hip hop encompasses an entire subculture including the mode of dress, speech, and inner-city street-sensibility) can be very polarizing - much like Rock and Roll was in its early era - but if one 'understands' and appreciates the form it is indeed very musical in that the human voice and the backing rhythm tracks are used as instruments to create cadences and melodies and meld together to create a synthesis of 'thoughts for the head and beats for the feet'. So Hip-Hop can be as galvanizing and Hard Core as Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos", or as 'Punk' as "Bring The Noise", a song that rivals anything the Sex Pistols did for rage and speed, and then when mixed with R&B beats, samples and choruses the form takes on entirely new musical vistas and can be as 'smooth' as Kayne West's flows or as whacked and brilliant as Lil Wayne's demented mash-ups.

As far as the lineage of Hip-Hop...it is quite fascinating. It originates in Africa with their very own version of Western Culture's Troubadours (traveling Poets and Singers) called Griots. Here is a very general yet comprehensive overview if you are interested:

[en.wikipedia.org]

The thing about Hip Hop is that it is a living and growing culture and art form...and like any art form 98% of it is derivative, useless, and utterly disposable. But if one knows where to look there is genius and transcendence to be found. Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III is a treasure cove for this...he's a Cough Syrup-swilling, Ganka-toking gnome and his flows are deconstructions of the English language that often boggle the mind and have you giggling and tapping your toes...his use of sounds and words as building blocks for his alternately hilarious and brainsick metaphors will have your head spinning, and the flows and beats are as inventive and unique as you will find in Hip-Hop.

Great descriptions! Don't know if you saw my question above, but what I see is incredible skill, an really interesting mind in terms of creative construction, but what seems missing is basically a range of influences and reference points. Meaning, he does amazing things with what he knows. But he does not seem to know very much. I do not mean that as an insult - merely he does not appear to have been exposed to, or exposed himself to, a broad range of art, knowledge, mythology, different disciplines. Maybe he'll do that in prison. If so, i think his content will be as compelling as his innate talent/abilities.

I almost posted a youtube link to a young rapper in Brooklyn I like very much. he's rough and raw, but lyrical skills and an intricate and fast brain.

My preference is for brainy rappers, meaning ones who from an early age have read, listened to, watched, and absorbed damn near everything -- and draw on that hodge podge of low brow to high brow references, as the substance of their rhymes and metaphors. Rappers whose songs you love right away...but whose lyrics sometimes take years to get. Li'l Wayne (from my very limited exposure) doesn't seem to be that kid of rapper (yet?).

What do you think? what do I need to listen to that will show me more intellectual substance within the gorgeous insane (hilarious) structures he creates?

I have loved hip hop loooong time. I occasionally joined ciphers in Washington Sq Park late at night as the only suburban preppy white girl in the '80s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home