Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live with me lyrics - "my best friend, etc". is it Keith?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:20

Heard the line

"My best friend, he shoots water rats
And feeds them to his geese"

refers to Keith who owned an overcraft in the 60's, shooting rats in Redlands.

Re: Live with me lyrics - "my best friend, etc". is it Keith?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:22

Joker - haven't you read Spanish Tony's book?

Date: January 25, 2008 01:23

Maybe. Better said, flip through. So the story is coming from Tony Sanchez?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:25

Well in the book Tony claims that Keith was saying it about Tony. Tony was out shooting the rats one day and Keith was saying "my friend shoots water rats, my friend shoots water rats - there Tony, you've got your own song".

That's from my memory, so it's probably not exactly like that.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: January 25, 2008 01:28

So that is Mick, quoting Tony, quoting Keith, who was talking about Tony. Is that so?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:29

Tony's book. Read it. Hilarious. True? Hilarious.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:55

Spanish Tony.

Re: MJ/KR lyrics
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 25, 2008 09:06

smile: "Mick quoting Keith" is an amusing way to put it.
i shall use it from now on. i've got Mick quoting Berry on right now :E

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: January 25, 2008 09:19

No matter how much BS is in Spanish Tony's book, It's by far my favorite Stones read. The bit about sinking Erol Flynn's yacht is priceless, true or not.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 25, 2008 09:39

fiftyamp
No matter how much BS is in Spanish Tony's book, It's by far my favorite Stones read. The bit about sinking Erol Flynn's yacht is priceless, true or not.

The part about going out to sea thinking the waters were calm (And then turned out to be high seas)? I love that segment. Also I think it's a funny part when Keith and Anita are in the back of a car and Keith smacks her one on the head. Hilarious.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 25, 2008 10:59

In Bill's first book, Stone Alone, he states that Mick wrote the lines about Keith...

Re: Live With Me
Date: January 25, 2008 11:06

In Bill's first book he also says Beggars Banquet was in 1972, and mistakes 12x5 for December's Children.
(excuse the digression - i'm just now reading it for the first time, and i'm finding the error rate striking.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 11:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 25, 2008 12:25

with sssoul
In Bill's first book he also says Beggars Banquet was in 1972, and mistakes 12x5 for December's Children.
(excuse the digression - i'm just now reading it for the first time, and i'm finding the error rate striking.)

Yeah, and Bill was the sober one... Can't imagine who else is going to remember the details correctly for them.
Great thing they have us when they wanna take a deep dive into their own past. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 25, 2008 12:37

Funny how things are: Bill's book and Tony Sanchez' botch, and wich one do we prefer? Definitely Tony's!! It made me a Stones fan more than anything else, apart from the music.

Date: January 25, 2008 13:02

>> which one do we prefer? <<

mercy: definitely not Tony's, in my case -
it's a good thing there's a choice of books out there, huh.

Bill's error rate isn't really worse than (for example) Bockris's, but it's surprising to me
given the reputation for accuracy he has. he's corrected some stuff in the meantime, of course:
lots of things are reported differently in Rolling With the Stones (that one includes mistakes too, though).

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 25, 2008 13:28

It seems to me Bill was using his cash book as a reference to write Stone Alone and his picture book for Rolling with the Stones.
One thing strikes me as odd though. It seems like Bill's accuracy is better when it comes to small details and worse when the big scheme is rolling out. Maybe he used his diary to make sure he had the facts right for small events and trusted his (overrated) memory for the big ones?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 25, 2008 14:22

The character who likes his meat hung up for a week before he eats it is Charlie.

Date: January 25, 2008 14:25

with sssoul
>> which one do we prefer? <<

mercy: definitely not Tony's, in my case -
it's a good thing there's a choice of books out there, huh.

That's interesting with sssoul, I wouldn't have thought you'd prefer Bill's book. I found it plain boring after a while, because he just listing fact after fact. I think his second effort was far superior, making the best of his style, which is essentially collecting.

But you're right by all means: It's there's such a great choice of books around ;-)

Date: January 25, 2008 14:40

the book i really prefer is Stanley Booth's True Adventures of the Rolling Stones.
as far as Bill's books go: yeah, Rolling With is way more appealing than Stone Alone.
Tony's book ... well, it has a couple of nice photos in it, but that's about all i liked.

Date: January 25, 2008 14:49

>> It seems like Bill's accuracy is better when it comes to small details <<

well, maybe! i reckon it's the detail orientation that creates the impression of great accuracy,
but there are miles of details that may or may not be accurate - how would we know?
it's excusable of course when people so closely involved misremember stuff -
even Bill had way better things to do than note down everything that was going on!
but from the viewpoint of the Department of Historical Accuracy, the trouble is
that when Bill's wrong about something it's real hard to convince anyone he's wrong -
which is strange, given the obvious errors like "in 1972 when making Beggars Banquet".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 16:30 by with sssoul.

Date: January 25, 2008 14:57

with sssoul
the book i really prefer is Stanley Booth's True Adventures of the Rolling Stones.

I agree with that. "True Adventures" is one of the best books on the Stones ever (and it takes a whole different road than Bill's BTW...) But I'm beating a dead horse now, don't I?

Date: January 25, 2008 15:01

>> But I'm beating a dead horse now, don't I? <<

... er, if you are, i recommend taking a break! :E
(if you mean me: i don't feel beaten - or like a dead horse!)

Date: January 25, 2008 15:07

with sssoul
>> But I'm beating a dead horse now, don't I? <<

... er, if you are, i recommend taking a break! :E
(if you mean me: i don't feel beaten - or like a dead horse!)

OK, I n t e r m i s s i o n.

And with sssoul: Who could ever beat you (in discussion) ?? :-)

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 25, 2008 15:35

I hereby proclame the amendment that everyone who wants to publish an (auto)biographical work regarding the Stones or any of the members, should send in a concept version of his/her publication to the Department of Historic Accuracy in Poland to have his facts checked.
Thank you With Sssoul for providing us with your massive knowledge of facts. Thank you Rolling Stones for giving us so many great things to discuss!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 25, 2008 18:18

Thing is, I reckon the 'co writers' in these auto biographies etc should take a lot of the blame, I just can't imagine our beloved musicians taking all that much time to read over everything checking for mistakes.

I'm also really cynical about whole conversations being re-told in minute detail, were people taking notes all the time of exactly what was said!? I doubt it! I can't remember details of my day to day life from a month ago, never mind 20 odd years or more, I'm sure there's a lot of artistic license going on.

A book being interesting, believable and also pretty historically accurate is a miracle imo, it must take some amount of work!!! eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 18:43 by His Majesty.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 25, 2008 18:42

Spanish Tony's book should have been better -- he did have a unique access to the band for a while. He seems, however, to exaggerate and quite possibly fabricate stories in a way that tends to make him seem more important than he was, and a lot of his crap spills on Keith.

Date: January 25, 2008 18:50

>> Thing is, I reckon the 'co writers' in these auto biographies etc should take a lot of the blame <<

oh: it's not that i'm *blaming* Bill - like i've said, the people directly involved have way better things to do
than to be encyclopedic resources about their own lives; besides, an autobiography is not quite the same
as biography or a historical tome, and i'm happy to appreciate the difference.
i'm just surprised that Bill somehow acquired a reputation for being so super-accurate.

and yeah, the co-writers, editors, fact-checkers et al could certainly do better.
it's especially grating when they intrude wrong stuff that obviously isn't coming from the Main Subject.
i mean: i can regard it as interesting to have a glimpse of how the Main Subjects' memories work,
even when they're mistaken - but it's too much to ask me to believe that (for example!)
Ronnie personally recalls how many gigs they played on the 75 tour. and when someone looked it up for him,
they sure should've checked with Erik Snow. :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 20:01 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home