Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Great on record, terrible live
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 9, 2010 15:42

"Anybody Seen My Baby - disaster !"
it was already a disaster on record right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-10 13:30 by dcba.

Date: February 9, 2010 16:20

Great studio recording, ok live, but Mick had major trouble singing it, imo.

Date: February 9, 2010 16:34

Sister Morphine sounded fine live. Same goes for She Was Hot which sounded almost exactly like the original. The lyrics of Dance were a combination of Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 along with some new lyrics thrown in,which is fine by me. The Stones can't win here. If it's too close to the original it is " Vegas " and if it's not,then they can't get it right the way it's supposed to be.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 9, 2010 16:57

Listen to She Was Hot and Sway from the various DVDs and whatever and then listen to something like Tumbling Dice or something more usual and you'll understand why people think the performances of those songs stink.

You like a tepid run through that is tentative at best. And there you go, you like how they just play something with no guts at all to be 'different'. Not even a casual listener would think those are very good.

Another one is Faraway Eyes. Although it's cool that they hauled it out, what's not cool (of course, this is about the Shine A Light version) is Keith's nod through of it and Mick's clothes-pin on the nose sounding super fast speaking of the words. Otherwise it was fine.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 17:15

kleermaker
Heartbreaker, Skippy? Must have happened after the Taylor-era.
Rocks off 'thanks to' bad singing, bad guitar work by Richards and bad windinstruments. Taylor is hardly to hear on this onewinking smiley

can't agree about rocks off , the " sidney's last affair " one is a cracker, but let's face it ; all live shows can do with a vocal overdub for quality.
heartbreaker 73 is good too especially with the little guitar break which appears later also in windcall

Date: February 9, 2010 17:21

Yeah, Rocks Off in 1972 was burning. Nothing wrong with those versions, imo.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 9, 2010 17:31

Heartbreaker, Rocks Off

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2010 17:37

smoking smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 17:42

Shattered has NEVER sounded good live.
No version of Satisfaction has sounded good since the 60s, and even then it was often killed.

The CURRENT version of the band butchers:
CYHMK
Sway
Rocks Off
All Down The Line
IORR

I also agree with several posters that Anybody Seen My Baby is horrible live, but it sucks in the studio too - an embarrassment.

Though I will commend the current band's versions of Moonlight Mile, Crazy Mama and Undercover.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 9, 2010 19:09

Satisfaction. The original is probably the greatest rock record in history. Live, it's been a mess for years, with the tempo sped up, while Mick and the backup singers do that terrible "satisfac-sheeon" call-and-answer routine while four (four!!) horns provide a Vegas-style backdrop.

Date: February 10, 2010 07:14

skipstone
Listen to She Was Hot and Sway from the various DVDs and whatever and then listen to something like Tumbling Dice or something more usual and you'll understand why people think the performances of those songs stink.

You like a tepid run through that is tentative at best. And there you go, you like how they just play something with no guts at all to be 'different'. Not even a casual listener would think those are very good.

Another one is Faraway Eyes. Although it's cool that they hauled it out, what's not cool (of course, this is about the Shine A Light version) is Keith's nod through of it and Mick's clothes-pin on the nose sounding super fast speaking of the words. Otherwise it was fine.

I don't think that it's accurate to lump She Was Hot together with Sway. Sway was tentative,especially the first performances. There are various reasons for that. Here's what people actually think of She Was Hot live : [www.iorr.org] . I didn't read a bad word about it there. Two of the people have the exact opposite opinion of you and that was the very first performance of it in concert.

One sub-par performance of Far Away Eyes should not drag it into this thread. They only played it once on the Licks tour but,it was solid. They played it well pretty regularly on the second half of the 1994 tour.

Tumbling Dice these days....please. It sounds like they are sleepwalking through it most of the time not to mention some of Wood's horrible solo's on it in 2005.

It probably would help though,if they played these rare live songs more frequently on given tours like they used to. An example is Monkey Man which had never been played before 1994 but,on that tour,they played it regularly. There are plenty of other examples where they played a song which was previously rare live on a regular or at least semi-regular basis. On the ABB tour most of the rare live songs were played sparingly,at least until the fall '06 tour when they started making their third trip through the big cities. She's So Cold was one exception.

Date: February 10, 2010 07:18

buffalo7478
No version of Satisfaction has sounded good since the 60s, and even then it was often killed.

CYHMK
Sway
Rocks Off
All Down The Line
IORR

I also agree with several posters that Anybody Seen My Baby is horrible live, but it sucks in the studio too - an embarrassment.

Though I will commend the current band's versions of Moonlight Mile, Crazy Mama and Undercover.

I strongly disagree with All Down The Line. Atlantic City 2006 was the best version of it that I heard since 1978. The 1995 live b-side was great as well,although a little slower.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: February 10, 2010 08:04

love is strong at baltimore was the biggest disappointment in my stones show career- we had great position, maybe too close to the stage to get house sound because it sounded like a dog going thru a mangler from my seat and i LOVE that song on record.

OLDKR

Date: February 10, 2010 09:58

<The 1995 live b-side was great as well,although a little slower.>

I agree, but it was overdubbed to death. Listen to Ronnie's original solos. To be diplomatic, not great at all...

But imo there are lots of great ADTL-versions with the recent Stones, the version on SAL is one of them.

Date: February 10, 2010 16:36

I haven't listened to that particular 1995 ( un-edited concert ) recording in a long while. I'll take your word for the overdub's. All Down The Line was really butchered in 1981. Buffalo '81 is a good example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-10 16:40 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 10, 2010 17:26

"Fingerprint File" great on IORR, but an absolute loser on "Love You Live", both in sound quality and in interpretation.

Date: February 10, 2010 17:32

Winning Ugly VXII
I haven't listened to that particular 1995 ( un-edited concert ) recording in a long while. I'll take your word for the overdub's. All Down The Line was really butchered in 1981. Buffalo '81 is a good example.

The entire Buffalo show (as well as the Philly shows) were totally butchered. We complain about shows today, but the shape they startet the 81 tour in was amazingly bad, imo.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 10, 2010 20:44

buffalo7478
shattered on garden state 78 is epic and definitive.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 10, 2010 20:53

RobertJohnson
"Fingerprint File" great on IORR, but an absolute loser on "Love You Live", both in sound quality and in interpretation.

Isn´t it a butchered one from ´75 ?
To the experts,what´s your favourite live version of Fingerprint File ?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 10, 2010 21:14

buffalo7478

CYHMK
Sway
Rocks Off
All Down The Line
IORR

hmmmm strange...i just luv the 78 live version of Shattered so much more ...than the record....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 10, 2010 22:02

I agree with the sentiment that one must take the current lineup into consideration. Vegas Era Honky Tonk has never, ever worked for me - ever. I LOVE the live versions from 69-78 though!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: February 10, 2010 22:06

jamesfdouglas
I agree with the sentiment that one must take the current lineup into consideration. Vegas Era Honky Tonk has never, ever worked for me - ever. I LOVE the live versions from 69-78 though!

DITTO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: UnderKeefsThumb ()
Date: February 14, 2010 07:14

loog droog
Some Girls

I thought that Some Girls sounded really good on Shine A Light. I really got into it anyways.

How about 2000 Light Years From Home??? I was really excited to see this included on the set list for the Live at the Max DVD, it's turned in to one of my favorite songs, but the live version was pure crap. Same goes for the Ruby Tuesday performance on this same DVD. Maybe it was just that show.

I haven't liked how they've played Beast of Burden the last few tours either.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 14, 2010 07:16

I'm not a fan of Satisfaction live. I like the 69 version they did it a little differently and 97 was good as an opener. The last few tours bag it!

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 15, 2010 05:37

Shattered.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 15, 2010 09:51

buffalo7478

I also thought that Satisfaction was killed but when they played it in Stuttgart in 2006 it was incredibly good, one of the highlights of the show (which I generally critizise for only playing fast numbers so it lacked emotion). Of course the song has lost its significance since the 1960s, as have many of the early hits (Lest's spend the night together comes to mind).

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 01:49

I saw them in Rome last tour and Satisfaction was awesome. We were dancing in the aisles like there was no tomorrow. Mind you, that might also have something to do with all the vino we'd imbibed too!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home