Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rolling Stones Reggae tunes
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 16, 2012 17:59

Love Ronnie's guitar...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2012 18:02

Don't forget the 'other' Jamaican music genre, calypso.

"Sweethearts Together".

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 16, 2012 19:43

Keith plays guitar on toshs bush doctor and toots careless ethiopians

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 16, 2012 20:05

Nikolai
Mickjagg65
So I just booked a trip to jamaica and to get myself in the mood I'm looking to put a cd together of the stones doing reggae and was wondering if anyone has a solid track listing to share. I've heard most of the boys tunes but definitly looking for a comprehensive track listing including their solo work which I'm not nearly as familiar with. Thanks!

If you're going to Jamaica you ought to listen to the real deal, don't you think?

Check out this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Good Call. The main reason why Stones' "reggae" doesn't work; Charlie.

Going to The Stones for reggae is like going to McDonald's to get a good helping of fibre.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 16, 2012 20:07

jamesfdouglas
Nikolai
Mickjagg65
So I just booked a trip to jamaica and to get myself in the mood I'm looking to put a cd together of the stones doing reggae and was wondering if anyone has a solid track listing to share. I've heard most of the boys tunes but definitly looking for a comprehensive track listing including their solo work which I'm not nearly as familiar with. Thanks!

If you're going to Jamaica you ought to listen to the real deal, don't you think?

Check out this thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Good Call. The main reason why Stones' "reggae" doesn't work; Charlie.

Going to The Stones for reggae is like going to McDonald's to get a good helping of fibre.

Fibre is good for 'regularity'. I had a big bout of that after a visit to Miccy D's, so maybe there is fibre in a Big Mac?

Date: July 16, 2012 20:11

treaclefingers

Fibre is good for 'regularity'. I had a big bout of that after a visit to Miccy D's, so maybe there is fibre in a Big Mac?

Fibre and diuretics aren't the same thing
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 16, 2012 20:19

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers

Fibre and diuretics aren't the same thing
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Tomato, Tomahto.

It's all about keeping the colon clean.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 16, 2012 20:41

She never listen to me

Send It To Me

"Start me up (reggae version)"

Rolling Stones - Munich Reggae (Instrumental)

The Rolling Stones - Jah is not dead

I Got A Letter

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: July 16, 2012 21:54

Some more on Wingless Angels II - Keith's "marrow music."

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:22

If you want to hear a truly incredible compilation seek this out...(it's even got a photo I took of Patti Smith with Don Letts in the booklet!)

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 03:09

Luxury - one of the worst stones songs? way off base - cool tune

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:47

Well, if you want the real deal - try these two:

Bob Marley - African Herbsman

Toots & The Maytals - The Sensational Maytals

Date: July 17, 2012 05:05

Mickjagg65

The Stones don't do and never have done reggae. And if you think they do, they don't. Just put on some Marley or the plethora of other reggae music that there is from Jamaica.

Date: July 17, 2012 05:06

Doxa
Keith's "Words of Wonder" from is perhaps the most 'authentic'. - Doxa

That is the closest to reggae any of the Stones, solo or band wise, have ever done. And it's the best one.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:47

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones don't do and never have done reggae. And if you think they do, they don't.

If the Stones have not done reggae then they have also never done Blues/Rhythm & Blues, Rock, Country, Disco. Hmm, turns out they suck after all!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:58

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones don't do and never have done reggae. And if you think they do, they don't. Just put on some Marley or the plethora of other reggae music that there is from Jamaica.

Alright, alright, let's cool it--- no one is suggesting the Stones took over reggae or that you can replace reggae with the Stones' tunes. Obviously those tunes are reminiscent of one particular genre...is it country? Well it certainly isn't jazz. Nope...sounds like reggae. As a quick shorthand, it will be labeled as such. No need to get your shorts in a bind just because someone is making that distinction.

Date: July 17, 2012 08:03

Justin
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Alright, alright, let's cool it--- no one is suggesting the Stones took over reggae or that you can replace reggae with the Stones' tunes. Obviously those tunes are reminiscent of one particular genre...is it country? Well it certainly isn't jazz. Nope...sounds like reggae. As a quick shorthand, it will be labeled as such. No need to get your shorts in a bind just because someone is making that distinction.

Oh fine, be a party pooper then.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:06

....No No fit on mon ...fit on...good ta see battle

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 17, 2012 08:07

I never heard Bob Marley playing Rockabilly ...

Date: July 17, 2012 12:50

Mickjagg65

Try this one
[www.reggaerecord.com]

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: July 17, 2012 13:01

Someone mentioned Too Rude on their list. I think Keith did a great live version of this with the Winos.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: July 17, 2012 16:05

I aggree w/ Nicolai, try the original stuff first. Nothing wrong with the Stones stuff...love a lot myself. There is a Sly & Robbie w/ Keith doing a Beast of Burden version (no vocs) that is right great.

Here is MJ list of top 10 as per RS Magazine:

Listen: Mick Jagger's Top Reggae Songs

"Get Up, Stand Up / No More Trouble / War" | Bob Marley, 1976
I met Bob at the studio when he was doing Catch a Fire. I think I was doing overdubs on Black and Blue in London. He has so many well-known songs that I decided to go with something not-quite. I love the popular songs, but I really love this take from the Live at the Roxy album, a medley. It's a bit left-field: a very long version of "Get Up, Stand Up," which is a great groove of a song that segues beautifully into "No More Trouble" and "War," and then back to "Get Up, Stand Up." The whole thing lasts 24 minutes, but if you decide to dance to it it, you'll still be going at the end.

"Pick Myself Up" | Peter Tosh, 1978
"Legalize It" is really good, but I'm going to pick this, a slow one. It's so wistful and different, and the groove is really good.

"54-46 That's My Number " | Toots and the Maytals, 1968
I don't know exactly why, but I've always loved this song. It's danceable, for starters, and the vocal delivery is very cool. Toots was so raw. I like the way he just slams it at you, vocally. He's great on this one.

"You Don't Love Me" | Dawn Penn, 1967
I first heard Jamaican music in the Sixties, and it wasn't called reggae then, but "blue beat." There were lots of Jamaicans in London, of course, and you'd hear blue beat, which eventually morphed into ska, and you'd hear calypso and other Caribbean music. I remember going out to dance at clubs in Mayfair. You wouldn't call "You Don't Love Me" hard reggae, exactly, but it's got these incredible, lilting rhythms, and she sings it in such a soulful way. I love that tune. It's beautiful. It was a giant hit, and rightly so.

"Cream of the Crop" | Gregory Isaacs, 1983
This is a very sexy song, with a supremely relaxed groove.

"War Ina Babylon" | Max Romeo and the Upsetters, 1976
This established what you might call the tenet of reggae. Lee "Scratch" Perry produced it – it's essential reggae. And what a great bass line!

"Brethern and Sisters" | The Viceroys, 1983
This is a good example of one of those togetherness-and-love songs, and it has a sort of doo-woppy vocal to it, like you'd hear back in the early days of reggae.

"Writing on the Wall" | Ronnie Davis, 1983
This is another song with a super-relaxed groove, and yet the playing is extraordinarily tight. When you listen to it, you're drawn in almost hypnotically to the tune.

"Ring The Alarm" | Tenor Saw, 1985
I've long gravitated toward reggae with other than what one considers a standard beat. This is very unusual: The timing and the vocal are so strange.

"Marcus Garvey" | Burning Spear, 1975
It's about the continued connection of Jamaica and Africa, which is all part of reggae history: a connection that's at once mystical and very real. I was just talking about Marcus Garvey with someone the other day: the Back to Africa movement, all these people on ships from New York to Liberia. It was a very strange time.

Date: July 18, 2012 00:06

Rockman
....No No fit on mon ...fit on...good ta see battle

No matter what mood I'm in, you always make me chuckle!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 18, 2012 00:50

RS have made some reggae influenced songs, and i love those years in which disco and reggae ruled the last 70´'s music

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 18, 2012 00:55

What about the "toasting"- inspired singing during the last part of "Hot Stuff". Anyway, that was how it once was described. In case, might it not qualify this song to be ranked as reggae-related, I wonder?

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:12

My Stones Reggae/Calypso list looks like this:

Sweet Black Angel
Luxury
I Can Feel The Fire
Cherry Oh Baby
Hey Negrita
The Harder They Come
Walk & Don't Look Back
Send It To Me
Too Rude
You Don't Have To Mean It

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: March 24, 2017 15:26

Feel On Baby belongs in there somewhere as well, imo.

And what do we call I Am Waiting? Isn't there some island-feeling over it? «Waiting for someone to come out of somewhere»...

I'd say that Everything Is Turning To Gold is a funky soul-tune, rather than reggae-related.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 24, 2017 16:41

Nasty Habits
My Stones Reggae/Calypso list looks like this:

Sweet Black Angel
Luxury
I Can Feel The Fire
Cherry Oh Baby
Hey Negrita
The Harder They Come
Walk & Don't Look Back
Send It To Me
Too Rude
You Don't Have To Mean It

+ Crackin' Up
[www.youtube.com]
(Keith backing vocals... priceless)

Date: March 24, 2017 16:44

The Stones's version of Walk And Don't Look Back was a soul cover.

Mick and Peter Tosh's version had a reggae rhythm.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 24, 2017 16:47

Early Start Me Up had a reggae feel.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home