Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Posted by: petedim ()
Date: February 7, 2010 00:41

Hello to everyone.
I would like to ask your opinion. I am about to buy a gibson les paul.
I always wanted one, so i am a little concerned about making the right choice.
You see i don't want to buy it from ebay, because i want to try it first so i'm looking in local stores (i am from greece) smiling smiley
I'm looking for a Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Is it worth buying?
Has anyone any other recommendation?
Thank you in advance. smiling smiley

Re: O.T. Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: February 7, 2010 14:33

I think is a very decent guitar but I think others here will give you better info on the guitar.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 7, 2010 15:33

The Traditional [sic] is a LP with late 80's / early 90's appointments, mainly indicating it is not chambered but it does have 17 weight relieve holes. Pickups are '57, neck profile is fat, but not as fat as '58 and not as curved as '59. The Plus model has an AA-grade top. The Standard model is not weight relieved, and has '50's or '60's shaped neck and Burstbuckers.

Wich instrument to go for is hard to say. The weight-relieve holes will make sure all instruments will be in the same weight range, while Standards can be very heavy when lesser quality mahogony is used. But both instruments are top grade, and you can't really go wrong with one or the other.

Mathijs

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 7, 2010 15:34

The Traditional is the "old" LP Standard as they were delivered prior to 2008 when the new Standard came with some upgrades like Burstbuckers, Grover Locking tuners, assymetrical neck etc.
I would look to the Historic-series if you can afford that. The R8 ('58 Reissue) with plain tops have been sold at affordable prices, in some parts of the world anyway. That beeing said, the Traditional is definately a great guitar too.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: February 7, 2010 15:46

Play multiple and compare sound. Take a friend w good eats and bounce ideas of each other. If you can take YOUR amp w you. Check things like guitar way it's set up pick up height etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 7, 2010 15:51

petedim
Hello to everyone.
I would like to ask your opinion. I am about to buy a gibson les paul.
I always wanted one, so i am a little concerned about making the right choice.
You see i don't want to buy it from ebay, because i want to try it first so i'm looking in local stores (i am from greece) smiling smiley
I'm looking for a Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Is it worth buying?
Has anyone any other recommendation?
Thank you in advance. smiling smiley

I tried many Les pauls, and even if they look the same and built at the same day, the same
specs,they all feel different. Close your eyes and listen,and feel with your fingers,they are all slightly different .It's like women.. winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2010 16:24

nankerphlege
Play multiple and compare sound. Take a friend w good eats and bounce ideas of each other. If you can take YOUR amp w you. Check things like guitar way it's set up pick up height etc.

I'd also take a friend with good EARS! winking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2010 16:24

Beware of Chinese made "Gibsons" which seem to be flooding the market!!!!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 7, 2010 17:31

Nice guitar. Whether it works for you depends upon what you like to play, how you like to play it and your tastes and needs. You should try as many different types of guitars as you can before purchasing.

The selling points of the Traditional are that it is not chambered like the Les Paul Standards and costs a little less. As indicated by someone else, it is weight relieved. Chambering is designed to affect the sound, while weight relief is designed just to modify the weight without affecting the sound. The Traditional will weigh about 1 pound more. Whether the non-chambering or additional weight is a good or bad thing depends upon personal preference. Also, the neck of the Traditional is a little fatter than is found on the Standard.

The pick ups are 57/57+ Classic, which are somewhat creamier, sweeter than the Burstbuckers on Standards. Some folks like that, others don't. One type of pick up may sound better with your amp. You need to evaluate this for your own tastes and needs.

The following is a lower priced version of the Traditional sold only to certain retailers, and I don't know whether it is sold in Greece: [www.guitarcenter.com] One of the pick ups is a little hotter than the regular Traditional, and it does not have a flame top.

Someone mentioned the historic line. These are better guitars than the Traditional or Standard, using better wood and other components and generally having better worksmanship. Whether they are worth the additional cost again depends upon your tastes and needs. Usually the used ones are better values and sometimes can be purchased for less than the cost of a new Traditional, but any comparison depends on the particular models.

If you like to read reviews, try www.harmony-central.com for user reviews.

Good luck with your decision!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 7, 2010 17:39

Elmo Lewis

Really? I never heard of that!

Mathijs

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 7, 2010 19:17

Mathijs
Elmo Lewis

Really? I never heard of that!

Mathijs

They used to sell a ton of them on ebay until Gibson shut them down

[www.gibson.com]

and some tips on how to spot a fake

[www.gibson.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home