Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I Don't Know Why.
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 5, 2010 13:42

Why they decided to exclude this from Let It Bleed in favour of a throwaway like Country Honk is beyond me - probably for financial reasons (writers credit!!!), surely not for artistic reasons.

Anyway, I Dont Know Why is worth the price for Metamorphosis alone!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 13:50

LOGIE
Interestingly, when released as a single in the summer of 1975, the first 1000 copies mistakenly had Jagger-Richards as the songwriters.
....and Taylor! and I suspect it was more than 1000 copies that were pressed, I worked in a record shop at the time and I never saw correctly credited version.
Has anybody else?

----------------------------------------------

I just looked through my copies of this gem .

In my inventory I've got

F.13584 Blue Boxed Decca Made in England
ABK-4701 - abkco DJ Promotional
~ These are credited to Jagger , Richards , Taylor

F.13584 Purple and White Decca Made in England Promotional
ABK-4701 - abkco
F.13584 Boxed Decca Made in Italy
F.13584A Black Boxed Decca Made in Yugoslavia

~ These are credited to Wonder , Riser , Hunter , Hardaway

6.11668( AC) Red Boxed Decca German
~ This is credited to Jagger , Richards .

All very confusing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-05 14:03 by boston2006.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 5, 2010 14:56

I have two UK copies of "I Don't Know Why" singles. Both labels look the same, blue and boxed. One says Jagger, Richards, Taylor and the other one Wonder etc...

Great song by the way!

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 14:58

alimente
Why they decided to exclude this from Let It Bleed in favour of a throwaway like Country Honk is beyond me - probably for financial reasons (writers credit!!!), surely not for artistic reasons.

Then they could have put it on Sticky Fingers in place of 'You Gotta Move' so no 'writers credit' problems as they wrote neither...... unless you believe the first 1000 records. It would have been a great live track with scope for Keef & Mick T to play around as much as they liked...... fast or slow it still works.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:07

Really a great great gem!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:18

alimente

Anyway, I Dont Know Why is worth the price for Metamorphosis alone!

My guess is that they didn't want more than 1 cover on LIB.....they have mostly stayed to that one-cover-rule since 1966

I Don't Know Why is surely a favourite of mine as well - and yes, the 2nd solo - after the fade out is indeed a reprise of the earlier solo
It striked me when I tried to learn the slide-solo several years ago

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:02

Erik_Snow
My guess is that they didn't want more than 1 cover on LIB.....they have mostly stayed to that one-cover-rule since 1966

Yes, of course, but this rule also means nore money for the songwriters (Jagger-Richards) and publisher (ABKCO), that was my point. Thats also the reason why ABKCO turned down Bill Wymans Black Box-project - too many cover versions - and turned it into the Metamorphosis project which had much more Jagger-Richards compositions, albeit a lot of stuff with just Mick singing on ALO Orchestra (or other unnamed studio musicians) backing tracks whereas true Stones performances on cover versions like Bright Lights Big City, Cops And Robbers were much more preferrable from a purely artistic point of view...

I really wonder if I Dont Know Why would have made the final Metamorphsis track selection if ABKCO would have been aware of the fact that it actually wasnt a Jagger-Richards, but a Stevie Wonder composition BEFORE the album was released...

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:06

alimente

I really wonder if I Dont Know Why would have made the final Metamorphsis track selection if ABKCO would have been aware of the fact that it actually wasnt a Jagger-Richards, but a Stevie Wonder composition BEFORE the album was released...

Yes, good point.

Date: February 5, 2010 16:13

Anyone knows what's the story of I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys, and why Jagger wasn't credited for this one?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:41

alimente
Yes, of course, but this rule also means nore money for the songwriters (Jagger-Richards) and publisher (ABKCO), that was my point.

Oops, yes indeed, I can see that, now. My head is not working these days - that's why I don't post anylonger

Date: February 5, 2010 16:50

Erik_Snow
alimente
Yes, of course, but this rule also means nore money for the songwriters (Jagger-Richards) and publisher (ABKCO), that was my point.

Oops, yes indeed, I can see that, now. My head is not working these days - that's why I don't post anylonger

Head is working now? grinning smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 5, 2010 18:03

Well it's on my version of Let It Bleed. And it's certainly a stellar song.

The have 2 covers on Dirty Work and 3 on Stripped (4 if you count Honest I Do) even though that isn't really a studio or live album...and IORR started out to be one side of covers and the other side 1973 tour tracks...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 5, 2010 20:26

Terrific song with a special combined work of Keith and MickT simply "Stones".

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 5, 2010 23:08

i think they didn't include it on let it bleed because it sounded too much like gimme shelter...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 5, 2010 23:14

I Don't Know Why

Me either...BUT i'M STILL HOPING

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 6, 2010 04:17

I Don't Know Why is very near the top of my list of all time favorites.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home