Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: If you don't love the Stones, then why are you here?
Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 1, 2010 03:05

Dear Doctor
problem is there are a lot of fake fans here

too many springsteen & dylan fans pollute this site, if you love a no talent waste like springsteen then you really can't be true stones fan

period

...sounds like you actually need a doctor.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 1, 2010 03:22

I don't like to read the negative comments on the Stones but people have the right to speak their minds. Sometimes the critics point out at facts that otherwise I would have missed. Politically, I don't like the right wing views but I make an effort to listen to what stupid shit they have to say and once in a while I learn something from it. But the rolling stones'critics on this board can get really nasty and it makes me wonder how one person can hate/love with a passion at the same time.One sure thing is that no nay-sayers' comments will NEVER alter my admiration for the Rolling Stones. They are old now and we know what the implications are;they don't play like it was 1973 or 1978. But I am still excited with the prospect of a new tour.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 1, 2010 07:10

So much of the negativity has to do with age. I would personally rather see them now than in the 70's when Jagger didn't sing so much as scream and Keith was drugged out. I think the live shows are magnificant and consistently good. The songwriting now will never live up to the late 60's but that shit was like Mozart or Beethoven and we're still waiting for another one of those 200 years later. A Bigger Bang was a very, very good record - why compare it to Let It Bleed, possibly the greatest thing any band has ever recorded. Too brutal a standard.

Either you're along for this amazing ride or you're not.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: February 1, 2010 09:49

At least its not boring at the moment, in fact its an intresting period. To bad that Kent doesnt post so much anymore, come on man. Sometimes its negative here but at least there is something happening, heavy discussions, good clips, photos etc I Like it!!!!!!! stupid enough I even like the everlasting discussion about ronnie and mick taylor, I like them both a lot so its fine anyway. All we need is some more about brian Jones.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 1, 2010 09:52

I must admit, I never really got the appeal of Brian Jones.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: michel ()
Date: February 1, 2010 10:20

Why not?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 1, 2010 10:34

I don't know. Maybe because for me he's a ghost - died 4 years before I was born. I know he started the band originally, and he added a lot of interesting colour to the 60's albums. But he just seemed to end up as such a sad waste, sainted by death of course.

I find him intriguing, don't get me wrong. Sometimes I wonder what he would be like had he not drowned. Most of the intrigue is like looking at old pictures though. I'm sure If I'd been around in the 60's and experienced the band first-hand when Brian was in it I'd feel different.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-01 10:35 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 1, 2010 11:03

71Tele
I am a little confused by the tone and content of your question, Hansie. Seems like a cheap shot. I thought the statement was pretty simple. Bruce Springsteen has tried to keep doing music that challenges him artistically. Not all of these projects have been commercially successful. At the same time he has also managed to please his more mainstream fans by putting on good shows that show a cross-section of his work. I think the Stones have not fared quite as well in their later recordings, though Bruce's recent output hasn't measured up to his peak either. OK?

OK, that's an explanation that I understand. An no, it wasn't a cheap shot. Just a question for some explanation.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 1, 2010 11:23

JumpingKentFlash
Agreed, but people have a right to speak their mind about anything they feel towards the band here. It's just too negative. That's why I don't post so much nowadays. Tell the bitches you like something from the past 8 years and they'll smother you with insults, or, if not that, bring in their usual bad argument of "You like Shine A Light better than Ya-Ya's? It just ain't so bro'. You are wrong and I am right". Or another favourite of their's "WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO DEFEND A BAND THAT HAS LOST ALL MEANING EONS AGO? IT'S ONLY A CYNICAL MONEY-SUCKING LAS VEGAS MACHINE THAT ONLY PLAYS ENORMODOMES TO RAKE IN AS MUCH AS THEY CAN"! Or the worst one: "YOU ARE A BLIND FOLLOWER. THEY WERE GOOD WITH MICK TAYLOR, BUT EVERYTHING AFTER UNDERCOVER IS WORSE THAN THE WORST OF THE JEFFERSON STARSHIP"! @#$%& those people. @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em to death and Hell and beyond.

Thank you Kent! you summed up exactly the same feelings I have with the site.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: February 1, 2010 11:32

@#$%& those people. @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em, @#$%& 'em to death and Hell and beyond.

Agree, Kent.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 1, 2010 11:43

skipstone
Well then, it's quite simple - is everything they do GREAT? Don't think for once that they do things based on ART. It's MONEY.

Are we supposed to howl to everyone we know that Bridges To Babylong or Steel Wheels or A Bigger Bang or Shine A Light or Dirty Work that THIS IS THE BEST @#$%& BAND IN THE WORLD?

Is that it? Blind faith? Ha ha.

It´s not the fact they are critisized and will be for various (more or less good ) reasons...
it´s the tone,style and a certain smartass attitude it´s been done...
usually by the same members here repeating the same old shit over and over again,
instead bringing up some nice and interesting topics,content,ideas,whatever.

Funny enough created and forced by some hanging around here for just some months or weeks.

Date: February 1, 2010 11:55

skipstone
Blind faith?

Now that was a great band.

-------------------

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: February 1, 2010 12:29

I like the stones allot, and for myself all kind of periods had there good and there bad times, it`s music.
It`s not that they just produce something that is always top, they are only human.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 1, 2010 16:07

I should point out that the "@#$%& 'em" bit is taken from Pete Townsend's interview on the Rock 'n Roll Circus DVD. Not that I wish people to hell, but Pete explained something in a good way with that quote (not the same point that I was making, I know).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 1, 2010 16:14

Send It To me
Just can't understand the huge amount of negativity here.

I mean, I guess if you care enough to bitch, you care about the band...but geez, if these folks are fans, I wonder what people who don't like the Stones write.

I say critical things too (because I give a rip) but the tone is just way, way too negative here.

Most of us have invested a lifetime in Stones fandom. We are expert enough to be critical where criticism is warranted rather than just blindly prostrate ourselves at the altar of Mick and Keith.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: February 1, 2010 16:15

I understand your post Kent, i know you as a fantastic person here on this forum, so i forgive you smileys with beer

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2010 17:30

R
Send It To me

I mean, I guess if you care enough to bitch, you care about the band...but geez, if these folks are fans, I wonder what people who don't like the Stones write.

I say critical things too (because I give a rip) but the tone is just way, way too negative here.

Most of us have invested a lifetime in Stones fandom. We are expert enough to be critical where criticism is warranted rather than just blindly prostrate ourselves at the altar of Mick and Keith.

exactly....and not deafenly prostrate ourselves, either..

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 1, 2010 17:30

Rolling Hansie
71Tele
I am a little confused by the tone and content of your question, Hansie. Seems like a cheap shot. I thought the statement was pretty simple. Bruce Springsteen has tried to keep doing music that challenges him artistically. Not all of these projects have been commercially successful. At the same time he has also managed to please his more mainstream fans by putting on good shows that show a cross-section of his work. I think the Stones have not fared quite as well in their later recordings, though Bruce's recent output hasn't measured up to his peak either. OK?

OK, that's an explanation that I understand. An no, it wasn't a cheap shot. Just a question for some explanation.

OK...I was confused about your reference to English being my native language. I thought you were being sarcastic. So, my mistake if that wasn't the case.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 1, 2010 17:51

@#$%& bashers. @#$%& em. @#$%& em all.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 1, 2010 18:03

For the fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-01 18:04 by The Sicilian.

Date: February 1, 2010 18:10

The Sicilian
For the fun.

yep - to watch guys like kent flip his wig and then have to explain that he's just quoting someone else....

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: February 1, 2010 18:22

kleermaker
Send It To me

The real question thus is: why are so many hardcore Stonesfans so disappointed and frustrated by the Stones that they are not only critical but also cynical and negative about the present Stones (well, not only the present Stones but the Stones during the last decades).

The main reason is imo certainly not that they've made only bad studio-albums, and I think this absolutely wouldn't be the case if they had done the best they could, being faithful to their status as artists and musicians and their hardcore fans. In that case I guess most of all would have said something like "They try and have tried so hard, they gave it a shot, they keep on giving all they have, they just can't do better and we respect that and appreciate that even very much and we are grateful that they've tried and keep on trying, so we'll be loyal to them till the very end, even though we can't love what they've done or are doing." At least there would not be that much negativism and cynicism.

But there's a lot of frustration and disappointment because of totally other reasons, very well worded by Swiss (or was it Bliss? Anyway they agreed with each other!) than I can, in another thread. So I think the main reason for all this disappointment and frustration is absolutely not a lack of loyalty from the side of the hardcores, but due to especially the Glimmers themselves. They are the ones to blame, not the real fans.

In a certain sense I think that, like some politicians with too much power or in power for too long, they've gone too far, believing that they stand above every human standard and permitted to act like some sort of gods just because they're THE ROLLING STONES. But, as we in Holland say, that's not the way we are married.
They act like GODs because when you get that big(M.Jackson,Elvis,Beatles,Clapton etc)you feel like God!!its human nature and we would all act the same way..posted graffiti in the early 70s in England was "CLAPTON IS GOD" all over the place,handling it all is the problem,that kind of adoration at that level must be a wonderful yet scary experience,as Clapton said in his cream days he was drinking 3 bottles of Vodka a day,then of course the drug thing...then follows the "Getting Old" thing.

Date: February 1, 2010 19:26

71Tele

OK...I was confused about your reference to English being my native language. I thought you were being sarcastic. So, my mistake if that wasn't the case.

I am cool with it

-------------------

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 1, 2010 23:06

There are many Rolling Stones to love. Lots of era's, lot's of tours, lots of decades even. To be considered a true fan, one doesn't have to appreciate all the different Rolling Stones equally. I for one am not to fond of the current Rolling Stones, but still consider myself a fan.

Date: February 1, 2010 23:28

mr edward
There are many Rolling Stones to love. Lots of era's, lot's of tours, lots of decades even. To be considered a true fan, one doesn't have to appreciate all the different Rolling Stones equally. I for one am not to fond of the current Rolling Stones, but still consider myself a fan.

good way to spin it - and i agree

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 1, 2010 23:43

We're here because we know what the Stones (even in their current state), are actually capable of doing, be it in the recording studio or as a performing band.

And to this end, it is quite reassuring to be able to exchange pleasantries with other like-minded souls who, like myself, feel that the band have been living off their past; stuck in the inside lane on cruise-control in cash-hoovering, warhorse-laden, auto-pilot mode for the past fifteen years.

Date: February 1, 2010 23:47

Barn Owl
auto-pilot mode for the past fifteen years.

sixteen, but who's counting?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 2, 2010 02:06

>>>And to this end, it is quite reassuring to be able to exchange pleasantries with other like-minded souls who, like myself, feel that the band have been living off their past; stuck in the inside lane on cruise-control in cash-hoovering, warhorse-laden, auto-pilot mode for the past fifteen years.

Indeed, Sir!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 2, 2010 02:29

Send It To me
Either you're along for this amazing ride or you're not.
you're either with us or you're with the terrorists" - George W. Bush

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 2, 2010 05:05

T&A
The Sicilian
For the fun.

yep - to watch guys like kent flip his wig and then have to explain that he's just quoting someone else....
What do you want me to say? That I wish noone to hell, except you? smiling smiley That would be a personal attack that could lead to my banning. I'm flipping my wig and meaning it dude. I have nothing against critisizm as long as it's constructive. And you gotta admit that it can be far between that on this forum.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home