Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Shine A Light - Revisited
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2010 18:26

TrulyMicks
I really love the first half of the show and think Mick is fantastic. It looses momentum for me on the second half, primarily because of the setlist.

Maybe some of you are being too critical. Friends of mine who have always been fans but had never seen them live before watched it and they were blown away. They really enjoyed it, especially Mick.

maybe they were just being good friends....

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 3, 2010 19:26

StonesTod
TrulyMicks
I really love the first half of the show and think Mick is fantastic. It looses momentum for me on the second half, primarily because of the setlist.

Maybe some of you are being too critical. Friends of mine who have always been fans but had never seen them live before watched it and they were blown away. They really enjoyed it, especially Mick.

lol No, they watched it on their own and happened to mention it to me since they know I am such a big fan. They went on and on about it..they LOVED it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 19:27 by TrulyMicks.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2010 19:39

TrulyMicks
StonesTod
TrulyMicks

lol No, they watched it on their own and happened to mention it to me since they know I am such a big fan. They went on and on about it..they LOVED it.

ok, being REALLY good friends....

but, imagine their delight had you shown the lads in their prime with Ladies & Gents or something, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 19:40 by StonesTod.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: February 3, 2010 19:43

I've said this many times about this film, BIGGEST PILE OF SHITE the band has EVER released! You want a good official release get the B2B dvd from St.louis. Strong overall performance. Mick vocals in SAL are HORRIBLE!. From the second I heard the opening lines of Mick singing JJflash I knew the film was doomed. "I was bun in a cwosssfia huwwica." Sounds like Elmer @#$%& Fudd on crack. Good lord did he sing poorly on this!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 3, 2010 19:54

starstar74
I've said this many times about this film, BIGGEST PILE OF SHITE the band has EVER released! You want a good official release get the B2B dvd from St.louis. Strong overall performance. Mick vocals in SAL are HORRIBLE!. From the second I heard the opening lines of Mick singing JJflash I knew the film was doomed. "I was bun in a cwosssfia huwwica." Sounds like Elmer @#$%& Fudd on crack. Good lord did he sing poorly on this!

Amazing!

It's amazing how so many people just don't see the beauty of this film, don't feel the power and depth of the music. Just try going a little further the occasional bum notes (there are not that much, after all), the exactness of the lyrics, the phrasing of the words ... This IS the essence of rock and roll!

C

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 3, 2010 21:57

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 3, 2010 23:02

Well, besides Keith's noodling (and on some parts he ruins a solo from Ronnie, like in Some Girls), it's an interesting record. I don't like the overall production sound.. too thin, no bass, no warmth, it's really flat.

Loving Cup is done terrible. The song is musically great/strong because of the piano and the electric rhythm on the studio version. Well, live the piano ain't rollin' and the rhythm part is actually missing. Instead Keiths noodles some ugly ineffective notes during the song (which he does on No Expections the last decade).

Love the enthousiasm though!

Best song is Champagne And Reefer with a fantastic Buddy Guy! And I'm Free is surprisingly very much like the original. Some Girls sounds powerfull, but I miss some sound and rhythm of the original.

She Was Hot is great also, but after a while the solo's from Keith gets boring.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 4, 2010 09:28

At this time, it seems that people lokk and listen to RS's just to test them, no t to enoy the show. Let them retire in peace! It is not an examination, it is R&R.
I mean, i play guitar, and during last years i'm not enjoying KR's playing because i'm always making analysis of his technique........... I used to enjoy it much more when i had ni idea of guitar playing.

They play for the people, no t for the teachers and masters

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 4, 2010 13:06

Forgot to mention:

Why isn't "Undercover" included on the album? One of the best tunes from the concert!

Date: February 4, 2010 17:35

Same reason it wasn't included on Flashpoint? For which I don't know. Live it doesn't come across half as good (intense) as the studio version.

What's bizarre is the B-side has that guitar wangwangwangwang thing overdubbed! And the B-side is from the PPV show. I can remember a friend of mine who went to the same show I did in Detroit that said, and I quote, "'Undercover' had the guitars sound just like the album!".

Which, of course, it did not. One listen to the Atlantic City show proves that.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 4, 2010 17:43

UC is a song that seemingly always shows up early in a tour and then disappears. it's clearly a mick song - think he has mentioned it as being one of his faves. ronnie tends to fare pretty well with it, too. so - do the math - keith doesn't like it and eventually wins the tussle of wills.

not a big fave of mine, but i will say that at both the oakland '99 opener and at the beacon, i was mildly amused/impressed with it...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 4, 2010 18:03

The version of SFTD is the worst thing released by any profesional artist EVER.

Overall, the movie is regular, Mick's vocals are flat, Keith's playing is poor/amateurish and the band doesn't swing at all.

I can't imagine how better can they play now, this "concert" was almost 4 YEARS AGO.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 4, 2010 18:59

T&A
UC is a song that seemingly always shows up early in a tour and then disappears. it's clearly a mick song - think he has mentioned it as being one of his faves. ronnie tends to fare pretty well with it, too. so - do the math - keith doesn't like it and eventually wins the tussle of wills.

not a big fave of mine, but i will say that at both the oakland '99 opener and at the beacon, i was mildly amused/impressed with it...
undercover was pretty good back in 1989 during the steel wheels tour with the strobelights .that was pretty cool .

Date: February 4, 2010 19:18

The Greek
T&A

undercover was pretty good back in 1989 during the steel wheels tour with the strobelights .that was pretty cool .

strobes are for discotheques...visual aids are usually there for the purposes of distracting the audience from something....please don't be fooled by this sleight of hand tactic....

Date: February 4, 2010 19:30

T&A
The Greek
T&A

you are starting to figure me out . i like loud guitars , explosions, smoke and fire ( i sound like freaking beavis dont i ?)

strobes are for discotheques...visual aids are usually there for the purposes of distracting the audience from something....please don't be fooled by this sleight of hand tactic....

Date: February 4, 2010 19:40

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

you are starting to figure me out . i like loud guitars , explosions, smoke and fire ( i sound like freaking beavis dont i ?)

man i miss being a kid .when i was a kid my dad would get me mats of firecrackers and M-80 ,and i would go across the street to the park in the daytime and blow these fireworks off .never was bothered once .imagine nowadays some kid just shooting off some firecrackers .jeez !

Date: February 4, 2010 19:40

UOTN just doesn't translate good at all live. Another song that should have been left to just being played on the album.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 4, 2010 21:12

skipstone
UOTN just doesn't translate good at all live. Another song that should have been left to just being played on the album.

I actually thought the version in SAL was surprisingly decent, but I just never cared much for it studio or otherwise. One of those forced-sounding period pieces to me. I listen to it once in a blue moon though.

Date: February 4, 2010 21:13

Oh and it would have helped the overall strength of the film if they had replaced Sympathy with Paint It Black.

Date: February 4, 2010 21:18

UOTN is on the DVD?

Date: February 4, 2010 21:23

Yeah, as a bonus feature separate from the film, along with PIB, T&A and I'm Free. At least I think so - somebody correct me if I am wrong. I haven't watched it in ages.

Date: February 4, 2010 21:32

That's just it - I don't recall seeing it.

This is such a funny deal. I think, for whatever sense this makes, a lot of Stones, er, I mean, TRUE Stones fans really wanted this movie to mean something. Not quite sure what. But just like the live albums, not many people cared. They already saw the tour.

Date: February 4, 2010 21:39

skipstone

This is such a funny deal. I think, for whatever sense this makes, a lot of Stones, er, I mean, TRUE Stones fans really wanted this movie to mean something. Not quite sure what. But just like the live albums, not many people cared. They already saw the tour.

yep. don't for the life of me understand what they and marty were thinking. The Last Waltz was a fabulous movie - and I think many of us were thinking that this movie would somehow aspire to be something akin to it....

turns out to be a no-frills concert movie of a band well past its prime....like they needed a top-flight hollywood producer for that?

Date: February 4, 2010 21:48

This is...better than the 1989 version? Wuuuhhhhdercover of thuh nyyyyyte....

IT CAN'T MAKE UP ITS RHYTHMIC MIND!

Date: February 4, 2010 21:53

skipstone

Well, I wanted it to mean something too (though I could never be a TRUE Stones fan because I like Springsteen, Dylan, and the Beatles), but it just came too late. It should have been a triumphant career capper, a jewel in the crown, so to speak. Instead it comes off as a mixed-bag footnote, worth the time, interesting in parts, but not what many of us hoped for and wanted.

I just recently rewatched the B2B St. Louis dvd as well as the Four Flicks Paris dvd - both of them blow SAL out of the water. Paris 03 was probably the last great recorded Stones performance (well, great in places anyway).

Date: February 4, 2010 22:02

Yeah. I've always really liked that Bridges show from St Louis. The Licks MSG show was pretty damn good for the most part.

What does make Shine A Light cool to watch is how, if you can tolerate Marty, the part leading up to the actual show, some nice behind the scenes stuff. But yeah, in the rankings of what the Stones have put out visually for live performances, SAL is, for me, considerably low down on the list in rank. I'm STILL trying to like it more. But it's still feeling like work.

Date: February 4, 2010 22:07

Oh I would have said that MSG 03 was the last great recorded performance except I think Paris came after that. Except for a weak CYHMK and so-so 'Happy', pretty much every song cooked that night. St. Louis is still a top notch show too - 'Wanna Hold You' is one of my fave all-time Keith performances from any era.

Like you, I want very badly to love SAL, and there are great moments, but few, if any, moments of greatness (if that makes any sense). The backstage stuff was more interesting to me as well. Scorsese has said for years that he wanted to film them - I just wish he had done it earlier than he did.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 4, 2010 22:25

undercover is mickĀ“s favourite track? really?

this is probably the song i like the least from all of the songs the stones have ever released.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 4, 2010 22:34

As I am still a fan, I happen to like the movie. However, my favorite unreleased concert of the last tour is still Saitama. Good set pacing, excellent camerawork, a complete show, and no extraneous sidelights. I'll take this Japanese TV broadcast over any of the recent "Reader's Digest" (edited) official DVDs.

The Saitama concert is available here: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-04 22:36 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 4, 2010 22:48

I always thought the version of Paint It Black was decent here.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home