Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
what kind of NEW stones album do we need???
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:26

I am waiting a really long time for a NEW Stones album which has the same impact as Beggars, Exile or Some Girls....something new and very surprising.

(the last album I really enjoyed was Tattoo)

What about an album with a lot of heavy blues(rock)??????????????????? Maybe new interpretations of Chuck Berry, why not???

What kind of new Stones album do YOU need/want?

Re: what kind of NEW stones album do we need???
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:30

I was just reading all the great reviews of Springsteens Magic and was wondering about the same thing. It would be great to have the Stones something that would put them back on top again (and not just as a live act).

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:31

stripped down, bluesy
maybe a covers album.. a homage to their influences/forfathers.

Rubin/Ethan Johns/ Jack White producing.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:33

the one with a number 1 hit

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:35

A pure blues album (Back Of My Hand style) would be great, but I don't think it would make as much impact as Beggars, Exile or Bleed...

Date: October 10, 2007 13:38

Hmmmm...

The most important is that it would sound raw, pure and authentic. No attempt to release a modern hit. No Streets of Love or any of its ugly cousins.

And why not let Woody join in during the writing sessions?

Rubin. White. No Was. Was Was.

More harp, less keyboards.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:38

Harm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the one with a number 1 hit

forget it... 'number 1' singles are of little relevance
in the 21st century.

we all know they are capable of producing, a truly great, memorable, award-winning and critically acclaimed album, as of the likes i've mentioned above.

Problem is, we als,o all know,
they're too lazy and their ego's won't allow it to happen.
and that's a tragedy.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 10, 2007 13:48

Acoustic album with Rubin at the helm and thought put into the songwriting......

Date: October 10, 2007 13:55

Maybe some nice 'dirty' country........with guests like Steve Earle a.o.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 10, 2007 14:01

exactly......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2007 14:13

mr edward Wrote:
> Hmmmm...
>
> The most important is that it would sound raw,
> pure and authentic. No attempt to release a modern
> hit. No Streets of Love or any of its ugly
> cousins.
>
> And why not let Woody join in during the writing
> sessions?
>
> Rubin. White. No Was. Was Was.
>
> More harp, less keyboards.

All decent points, although in fairness you wont get much more stripped down sound-wise than ABB was - I cant think of too many other Stones albums that were so devoid of keyboards or outside musicians.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 10, 2007 14:15

I have thought for a while that Rick Rubin could give Keith a kick up the arse and produce something like the Johnny Cash albums. Don't think he would work with mick again or vice-versa.

Sparse sound like a lot of Beggar's or some more recent tracks (back of my hand,break the spell etc.) would be great,but I think they are too much in the mind set of making a STONES album ie;

Opening rocker
Hip single - hyped as best thing since SMU
Filler rocker
Best ballad
Longer funky number
1st keith song
Rocker - 2nd single
Token blues track
Slower long song - hyped as classic
filler Rocker
rocker
Keith Ballad

or very close to this. Prove us wrong boys !

sc uk

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: October 10, 2007 15:04

We don't need another Stones album. Totally pointless. Especially if they go on tour again because they won't even bother playing anything from it. I personally thought a bigger bang was a good album the Stones did'nt think so that's why they ended up playing just 1 or 2 songs each night on the last tour.

John Nicholls

Date: October 10, 2007 15:05

Gazza Wrote:
> mr edward Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hmmmm...
> >
> > The most important is that it would sound raw,
> > pure and authentic. No attempt to release a
> modern
> > hit. No Streets of Love or any of its ugly
> > cousins.
> >
> > And why not let Woody join in during the
> writing
> > sessions?
> >
> > Rubin. White. No Was. Was Was.
> >
> > More harp, less keyboards.
>
>
>
> All decent points, although in fairness you wont
> get much more stripped down sound-wise than ABB
> was - I cant think of too many other Stones albums
> that were so devoid of keyboards or outside
> musicians.

That's right. Leave Neo Con, Streets Of Love off of A Bigger Bang and you have a far better album. Add some harp, let Woody share his ideas and forget about singles.
I could live with another ABB type of album, though a rootsy bluesalbum or a collection of semi-acoustic songs (think Devils and Dust) would do just as well!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 10, 2007 15:08

Is it retro to put my elbow grease into a great achievement by Jimmy Miller and Glyn Johns?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 10, 2007 15:15

another Tattoo you type album would be nice

Date: October 10, 2007 15:18

An album filled with rock songs.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 10, 2007 15:32

I´m quite pleased with their output, do we really need another one?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 10, 2007 15:37

The buzz in the press is that the 'album' as a concept is a dead horse anyway. Some artists are now putting out 3 or 4 tracks on the net like an electronic EP for download. Better that than some 12 track disc with a load of half-baked filler on it. Hell, you can get the new Radiohead for nothing if you like but I guess they're hoping the true fans will pay at least a few quid for it!

Let the Stones come up with whatever comes naturally to them now rather than some 'themed' idea such as raw blues, country etc.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 10, 2007 16:11

I did enjoy ABB, but what was missing from it that I'd like to see on a new album?

- a wider range of styles - apart from Back of My Hand, there were none of those excursions into country, soul, blues, reggae and heaven-knows-what-else that give other Stones albums that touch of the gloriously unexpected. maybe this had something to do with the lack of guest-musicians, but the Stones can do this sort of thing perfectly well on their own, too.

- Like most people here, I'd like to see a more "stripped-down" sound - and more acoustic stuff. Not a completely Unplugged (which Mick would probably reject as no longer in fashion) but a bit less routine rock.

- and forget about trying to follow the market. Just play what they enjoy and take the risk that the market will come to them!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 10, 2007 16:21

keeffriffhard Wrote:
> I am waiting a really long time for a NEW Stones
> album which has the same impact as Beggars, Exile
> or Some Girls....something new and very
> surprising.
>
>> What about an album with a lot of heavy
> blues(rock)??????????????????? Maybe new
> interpretations of Chuck Berry, why not???

What's NEW and surprising about bluesrock??

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 10, 2007 16:51

...how about a retro 70's Disco album?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 10, 2007 16:52

We need an album with A GOOD SOUND. Every studio album since SW sounds forced. The last album with a good sound is DW. Even SW was better sounding than ABB. Worst album sound wise was B2B. Stripped has a warm friendly sound which can take several listenings while NS och LL suck utterly.

Date: October 10, 2007 17:08

Hi Koen,

Yes, it is true. There is nothing NEW and surprising about bluesrock. I was at one point only referring to albums which were released in the past (banquet/exile/girls) and were at that time really NEW and surprising.

Back in 1968 blues(rock) wasn't NEW too.....

But the result was truly amazing the way The Stones make an interpretation of it..really surprising....

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: October 10, 2007 17:10

wonder if theres anyone thinking "mmm - a greatest hits would be nice"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 10, 2007 17:42

Lukester Wrote:
> ...how about a retro 70's Disco album?

... works for me - call it "The Lost Acoustic Miss You Sessions"?

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 10, 2007 17:43

Get rid of Chuck Leavell, bring on someone who doesn't moonlight at the Starlight Room at the Holiday Inn
Get a new producer
Get a new label - how about
Bring it on back to the roots. THE BLUES. THE BLUES. THE BLUES.

A blues album would be fantasmical.

They need to get their sound raw, gritty, and dirty again.

I offer for evidence The Black Keys. Listen to all their albums - The Big Come Up, Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory, and Magic Potion.

But most of all - and I seriously suggest that everyone on this board listen to this EP - try out:

CHULAHOMA.

This will blow your balls off.

It is an EP covering the songs of blues master Junior Kimbrough.

It's time for the Stones to get messy, sad, and bluesy. Bring the funk and the groove back.

Back of My Hand was a step in the right direction. There's a call for the Delta Blues, there's a call for Chicago Blues. Maybe record in those places, with the musicians who are still around there who made those places great.

There's no risk to it, as far as I see, because it brings them home.

Or dare I say a collaboration is in order?

Imagine, if you will, a collaboration between The Black Keys and The Rolling Stones. Or between The White Stripes and The Rolling Stones.

Imagine the Stones doing a song like "Catch Hell Blues" off of Icky Thump?
or
Imagine the Stones doing a song like "The Flame" off of Magic Potion?

To quote a movie, "it's either time to get busy living or get busy dying."

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 10, 2007 17:44

Nooo, we don't need greatest hits - 40 liscks do the job. Okay, what about the next album? Does anyone seriously think that there is an album coming out soon? Look at how long is the break between B2B and ABB - I don't think so. But okay - what should it be like for me? Honestly - I really enjoyed AAB. It cannot be compared to fingers or exile, but for me it is the best album since Tattoo. It is rocky and nicely balanced - there is no awful stuff like Sweethearts and some other songs from Voodoo (very unbalanced album for me - some truly great songs and a lot of total crap). But I think that they set a good direction with ABB. I agree with many others that it should be striped down and somehow back-to-the-roots. Bluesy. But doing cover-versions as someone suggested would be really wrong according to me - these things work well live, but Stones are no revival band. Okay I think that our dear Walking Riff shoud come up with some strong riffs, like Start Me Up. That what makes the Stones different. That is why I love them. Let's hope we will get some nice new riffs, some good old blues and a lot of rough guitars.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 10, 2007 17:58

Rubin would be great!!!!
raw, bluesy, like when they started.
the wont ever make any more "important" records. if they manage again to sound like on "back off my hand" i'm happy. thats the sound that suits them best at their age!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2007 18:13

Well somebody once said you can't always get what you want...if we get anything, it looks to be a 2008 live album. I don't anticipate a studio album unless there is word of a new record contract and I really don't expect that. If anything I expect more greatest hits and rarities collections. I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of new tracks ended up as iTunes exclusives or on a soundtrack album if there is another tour. Time and the marketplace aren't on their side anymore. I'll be quite happy to be proved wrong, but I doubt they want to go to a smaller label and make an album that isn't going to be certified platinum. I'm not saying they're only in it for the money, but the glory doesn't come if they downscale the operations and the glory is probably the only factor more important than the money. They've reached the point where they'll be nervous about tarnishing their legacy. Jagger and Richards will keep working, but I don't expect a repeat of the nineties. I won't be shocked if Keith does release another solo album, but I wouldn't expect it to be with The X-Pensive Winos. More likely Keith would stick to jazz, R&B, and country and probably do a few covers. Maybe one or two vintage rockers, but I don't think he's interested in cranking out new rock riffs. "You Got Me Rocking" seems to be the last one he really put his heart and soul into and "Start Me Up" will stand as his last classic riff that everybody knows. There is a big difference between Keith at 50 and Keith at (nearly) 64.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home