Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Super Bowl SetList
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 27, 2010 20:09

ablett
"No, Odorono."

Waspman anyone?

The Who won't dissapoint! Its a short set and the band is still incredible live....

No matter what they do, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2010 05:24

tomk
tatters
tomk
chenry9195
loog droog
Chris Fountain
mccparty
Don't look if you want to be surprised (but seriously, you already know what they are going to play)

Super Bowl Setlist:
Pete Townshend told Billboard.com that The Who will perform "a mashup of stuff" at the Super Bowl. The setlist will include, in Townshend's words, "a bit of Baba O'Riley, a bit of Pinball Wizard, a bit of the close of Tommy, a bit of Who Are You, and a bit of Won't Get Fooled Again."
[www.billboard.com]

I was afraid of this.

What did you expect? "Dogs Pt. 2?"

No, Odorono.

I'd rather hear Odorono than Who Are You or Pinball.
Remember though that all those CBS people only know all the classic-rock
greatest hits stuff (Baba, Won't Get Fooled etc). They're in thier mid-40s
or mid-50s at the most. THey don't care about Substitute or Can't Explain
or Dreaming From The Waist. I just hope Pete goes nuts, twirling his arm and doing those jumps.

Last time I saw the Who I was stuck in traffic waiting to get out of the parking lot so I called up the local classic rock DJ who was doing a "concert replay", playing all the songs the Who had just played in the order that they played them. He didn't play any of the three songs that the Who had played from Endless Wire, presumably, because classic rock stations don't play new material by classic rock artists. But what was really amazing, is that when I was talking to this classic rock jock, he asked ME what album Tatoo was from. When I told him it was on The Who Sell Out he didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. This was a DJ ON A CLASSIC ROCK STATION! Apparently, his station didn't have a copy of Sell Out, either because when he got off the phone with me and went back to doing his "concert replay" he omitted Tatoo as well.

That doesn't surprise me. A few years ago, some magazine showed Pete
the results of a poll or something about their favorite Who songs.
Pete was a little disapointed. I think he said something like.
'Typical. No Tattoo or Little Billy, just the same old classic rock stuff."

It's largely HIS fault, though. Who setlists have never been particularly adventurous.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:33

Bruce was awesome last year. The Who this year is a good reason to bring back the lingerie bowl,the bud bowl,the puppy bowl,the toilet bowl...Anything but a Who medley..............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.sad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Steel_Wheels ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:51

Nobody I know gives a hoot about who plays in the SB halftime show. I've been to plenty of SB parties and the halftime reaction is always the same no matter who is up there. A piss break for some, a smoke break for others and an email check for the remainder. We could easily return to the days of J. Timberlake / B. Spears / Aerosmith type halftimes and no one would care.

The recent run of top bill performers could continue for some time, should Bridgestone or whatever deep pocket sponsor desire it. It has nothing to do with viewership of the game and everything to do with the 20+ minute halftime break where the sponsor hopes by having X on stage a few more eyeballs see sponsors' commercials immediatley before and after the performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 06:54 by Steel_Wheels.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:56

I'm looking forward to the Who one of my favorite bands. I saw them last year and they are still good. Love to see them play the SOng is Over but I know that won't happen.

Baba O'Riley
Who Are You
Pinball Wizard

Date: January 28, 2010 07:08

slew
I'm looking forward to the Who one of my favorite bands. I saw them last year and they are still good. Love to see them play the SOng is Over but I know that won't happen.

Baba O'Riley
Who Are You
Pinball Wizard
I saw the 2 a couple years ago. They absolutely sucked ass. Best case for retirement any band can ever make.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 28, 2010 08:28

tatters
tomk
tatters
tomk
chenry9195
loog droog
Chris Fountain
mccparty
Don't look if you want to be surprised (but seriously, you already know what they are going to play)

Super Bowl Setlist:
Pete Townshend told Billboard.com that The Who will perform "a mashup of stuff" at the Super Bowl. The setlist will include, in Townshend's words, "a bit of Baba O'Riley, a bit of Pinball Wizard, a bit of the close of Tommy, a bit of Who Are You, and a bit of Won't Get Fooled Again."
[www.billboard.com]

I was afraid of this.

What did you expect? "Dogs Pt. 2?"

No, Odorono.

I'd rather hear Odorono than Who Are You or Pinball.
Remember though that all those CBS people only know all the classic-rock
greatest hits stuff (Baba, Won't Get Fooled etc). They're in thier mid-40s
or mid-50s at the most. THey don't care about Substitute or Can't Explain
or Dreaming From The Waist. I just hope Pete goes nuts, twirling his arm and doing those jumps.

Last time I saw the Who I was stuck in traffic waiting to get out of the parking lot so I called up the local classic rock DJ who was doing a "concert replay", playing all the songs the Who had just played in the order that they played them. He didn't play any of the three songs that the Who had played from Endless Wire, presumably, because classic rock stations don't play new material by classic rock artists. But what was really amazing, is that when I was talking to this classic rock jock, he asked ME what album Tatoo was from. When I told him it was on The Who Sell Out he didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. This was a DJ ON A CLASSIC ROCK STATION! Apparently, his station didn't have a copy of Sell Out, either because when he got off the phone with me and went back to doing his "concert replay" he omitted Tatoo as well.

That doesn't surprise me. A few years ago, some magazine showed Pete
the results of a poll or something about their favorite Who songs.
Pete was a little disapointed. I think he said something like.
'Typical. No Tattoo or Little Billy, just the same old classic rock stuff."

It's largely HIS fault, though. Who setlists have never been particularly adventurous.

I'm not sure about that. Roger, so I've heard, is in charge of the setlist
and has been for many years. It's different for differnt bands, I guess.
If I go to a Who show, I wanna hear Can't Explain and Substitute.
But if I went to a Stones show and didn't hear Brown Sugar or whatever,
it wouldn't bother me. Of course the Stones have a larger pool of soungs to draw from. I'd rather hear Sister Disco than Pinball Wizars, but that's just me.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 28, 2010 09:42

There is nothing wrong with the set list - it is venue, and occasion appropriate!

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: January 28, 2010 14:12

Did you hear that Steve Winwood will play at the Superbowl "Preview" - whatever that means ?

[www.stevewinwood.com]

Date: January 28, 2010 14:33

How about....The Acid Queen

Date: January 28, 2010 16:37

wolfi
Did you hear that Steve Winwood will play at the Superbowl "Preview" - whatever that means ?

[www.stevewinwood.com]
It means he will play before the game.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: January 28, 2010 17:10

I'll be there but who cares about half of a band?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home