Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Open E - Keith - List of Songs
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 28, 2010 18:13

>> I wonder if there is a bootleg of 1968/NME <<

some say it exists, but if so, it's not in circulation

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2010 18:31

Isn't the acoustic of Let it Bleed open E as well?

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 28, 2010 18:42

Mathijs

Mathijs
Indeed it is...

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: January 28, 2010 19:31

Mathijs

Mathijs

No, I don't think so.

[www.musicnotes.com]

Date: January 28, 2010 19:44

Christian
Mathijs

Mathijs

No, I don't think so.

[www.musicnotes.com]
Well Christian, I wouldn't rely on someone else's transcription, many of which I have found to have lots of errors so try tuning your guitar to open E, slap a capo on, give it a try and let your own ears be the judge...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 28, 2010 20:06

skipstone
The slide in Jigsaw Puzzle is open E but the acoustic is STANDARD.

Both electric and acoustic guitars are tuned to open E.

Mick played an acoustic tuned to standard during the basic backing track sessions, but Keith's overdubbed acoustic guitar part is played in a similar way to how he plays the acoustic in the One Plus One film during the early acoustic run through.

The acoustic guitar on Jigsaw Puzzle features lots of barring with the 2nd, 3rd fingers whilst letting the 2nd and 3rd strings ring out, sometimes adding his pinky to the high E string when he goes to the A chord etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-28 20:22 by His Majesty.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: January 29, 2010 13:06

skipstone
What is Jig Saw Puzzle? The Stones do a song called Jigsaw Puzzle but I've never heard of this Jig Saw Puzzle people keep saying here.

The slide in Jigsaw Puzzle is open E but the acoustic is STANDARD.

oh sorry

are you a teacher or what? Song is sometimes mentioned as Jig-Saw Puzzle.

The original question was 'Is there a list of all Keith's Open E songs?'. In Jig Saw Puzzle Keith may played slide so it can go to the list.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 29, 2010 13:15

Mathijs

Mathijs

From memory, it is standard tuning capoed at the third fret. I think that it is one of the ones that Jagger wrote (possibly played the acoustic as well)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2010 18:09

I'm not a teacher, it's just that the title of the song is Jigsaw Puzzle, not anything else. No different than saying Mick Jaggers or Charley Watt. Or for that matter, Jumping Jack Flash or Tumblin' Dice.

Nuance? Yeah. But they haven't gone by The Rollin' Stones for quite some time now either.

So a lot of the late 60s early 70s recordings feature open E tuning? It never crossed my mind. Doesn't make any sense to me that Let It Bleed is in open E when the song is in C. Whatever. I'll have to sit down with these songs and have a much better listen to 'em.

Date: January 29, 2010 18:36

skipstone
Doesn't make any sense to me that Let It Bleed is in open E when the song is in C...
You could employ that same line of reasoning to any number of Stones songs that have the guitar tuned to open G, E of D but capoed to suit the key of the song. Tumbling Dice, Happy, Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash and so on. I say 'could' but then it would be illogical to so so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-03 21:12 by ChrisM.

Date: January 29, 2010 19:19

ChrisM
Mathijs

Mathijs
Indeed it is...

Just had a check of this, afraid I gots tah disagree with you guys.

The acoustic is tuned to standard, with a capo at the 3rd fret. Basic A, D and E major shapes with sus 4ths during verses etc.

Date: January 29, 2010 19:26

Fair enough HM. I have not played Let It Bleed in years and so perhaps my ears played me false at the time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2010 19:53

Let It Bleed is capoed? I know Mick plays it with a capo but the way it sounds on the album is standard to me. It would take a lot more effort to play that in open E than it would standard. I know E works with C etc but it just seems like a lot more effort.

Date: January 29, 2010 20:05

skipstone
Let It Bleed is capoed? I know Mick plays it with a capo but the way it sounds on the album is standard to me.

It's definitely standard tuning with capo at 3rd fret. smiling smiley

Date: February 2, 2010 10:08

His Majesty
The acoustic guitar on Jigsaw Puzzle features lots of barring with the 2nd, 3rd fingers whilst letting the 2nd and 3rd strings ring out, sometimes adding his pinky to the high E string when he goes to the A chord etc.

What do you mean? I don't get it
the acoustic guitar is low in the mix at the beginning
Is it :
B = 777777 ; A9 = 555557 ; F# = 222222 ; E = 000000
In the songbook, it reads: standard tuning
B = X99800 ; A9 = X77607 ; F#7 = X44300 ; E = 022100

Date: February 2, 2010 15:26

Christian

What do you mean? I don't get it
the acoustic guitar is low in the mix at the beginning
Is it :
In the songbook, it reads: standard tuning
B = X99800 ; A9 = X77607 ; F#7 = X44300 ; E = 022100

Watch the footage of keith playing acoustic in One Plus One, then it should make more sense. The acoustic is definitely tuned to open E on Jigsaw Puzzle. smiling smiley

Date: February 3, 2010 20:40

Ok, so I grabbed someones backing track of bass, drums, vocals and piano/organ for Jumpin' Jack Flash and overdubbed open E tuned geetars.

Not the best of mix's, but here yah go... ...

I couldn't be bothered trying to recreate the acoustic/philips tape machine sound for the basic acoustic track though, so it's just an electric for that part. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 3, 2010 21:15

Sounds spot on HM. Well done! smileys with beer

Date: February 4, 2010 09:41

His Majesty

Ok, I just watched the footage, I suppose you mean the one where Keith plays SFTD in open D with capo 2d fret.
In Jigsaw Puzzle, you're correct, it's open E, but that's just major chords except A9 with the pinky to the high E
he doesn't use the 2nd (middle finger) & 3rd (ring finger) fingers, otherwise where do you place them?
Are these shape chords correct?

Date: February 4, 2010 10:06

Christian

Ok, I just watched the footage, I suppose you mean the one where Keith plays SFTD in open D with capo 2d fret.
In Jigsaw Puzzle, you're correct, it's open E, but that's just major chords except A9 with the pinky to the high E
he doesn't use the 2nd (middle finger) & 3rd (ring finger) fingers, otherwise where do you place them?
Are these shape chords correct?

You place them the same way he places them in the One Plus One footage.

fretting the lower 4 strings with the 2nd, 3rd fingers kinda together or just the 2nd finger, which allows you to let the open 1st and 2nd strings ring out or mute them, and also lets you fret with the pinky when it's needed.

This is in addition to the more usual way of playing open tunings with first finger barring etc.

On the record there's lots of variation, but he plays these basic chords a lot throwing in sus 4's etc etc.

B = 777700 - A = 555500 - F# = 222200 - E = 000000

Date: February 4, 2010 17:19

Thanks His Majesty,
I didn't notice he used 2nd & 3rd fingers for barring.
That's not easy to play like that. It requires supple fingers.
With his hand arthritis, I think that keith can't play like this anymore

Date: February 4, 2010 17:58

His Majesty
Ok, so I grabbed someones backing track of bass, drums, vocals and piano/organ for Jumpin' Jack Flash and overdubbed open E tuned geetars.

Not the best of mix's, but here yah go... ...

I couldn't be bothered trying to recreate the acoustic/philips tape machine sound for the basic acoustic track though, so it's just an electric for that part. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sounds good! Is the lead guitar over the chorus open E as well? Never knew that!

Mathijs

Date: February 4, 2010 17:59

His Majesty
ChrisM
Mathijs

Mathijs
Indeed it is...

The acoustic is tuned to standard, with a capo at the 3rd fret. Basic A, D and E major shapes with sus 4ths during verses etc.

Lucky me I posed it as a question!

Mathijs

Date: February 4, 2010 19:10

Mathijs
His Majesty
ChrisM
Mathijs

Mathijs
Indeed it is...

Lucky me I posed it as a question!

Mathijs
D'oh! Serves me right for relying on a faulty memory. Kudos to HM for showing how it's done... thumbs up

Date: February 4, 2010 19:18

Mathijs

Sounds good! Is the lead guitar over the chorus open E as well? Never knew that!

Mathijs

I would say they are, it can be replicated in standard, but it's looser, easier and more like the record when tuned to open E imo.

The more chordal riffing guitars also play a more basic variations of those melodic parts during the chorus's. Barring with 1st finger, playing more basic variations of the melody with pinky and 3rd finger. You can see Keith play this way in One Plus One when he's sitting with his les paul custom tuned to open E before he tunes it back to standard.

Date: February 4, 2010 19:19

ChrisM
D'oh! Serves me right for relying on a faulty memory. Kudos to HM for showing how it's done... thumbs up

A few others mentioned it before me, but you didn't believe them. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 4, 2010 20:35

>>Ok, so I grabbed someones backing track of bass, drums, vocals and piano/organ for Jumpin' Jack Flash and overdubbed open E tuned geetars.<<

Nice one, HM.
hey, the guitar sounds familiar and i thought you couldn't have done that with your Gibson LP;
until I read your YT description - it's the Squier CV 50 Tele, ha.
do you dig it as much as I do? I think it's an amazing guitar with best bang for the buck.
I'm playing my CV over a Vox DA5 right now. except it's in open G and the same backing track is pitched up a semitone. (capo on 4th)

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: February 4, 2010 21:19

Awesome job - well done.

Date: February 4, 2010 21:35

open-g
it's the Squier CV 50 Tele, ha.
do you dig it as much as I do? I think it's an amazing guitar with best bang for the buck.

I think it's as good as any guitar I've played, including my recently sold les paul custom!

Looks great, feels great, sounds great! thumbs up

Date: February 4, 2010 23:09

His Majesty
open-g
it's the Squier CV 50 Tele, ha.

I think it's as good as any guitar I've played, including my recently sold les paul custom!

Looks great, feels great, sounds great! thumbs up
You sold your LP Custom? eye popping smiley Why pray tell?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home