Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Stones set Guinness record!
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 26, 2007 19:29

Well,

The guys banked $437 Mil. this tour.. set the record..

Would ge "nice" of them to "share" a little with former members who are "hurting" for money right about now..

MLC

Re: Stones set Guinness record!
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 26, 2007 19:34

what happened to the half a billion mark??

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 26, 2007 19:44

Why should they share?...Both Wyman and Taylor bowed out on their own choosing...shame on them not to have the forsight that The Stones can't be stopped and would be a money making machine well into the future...I think Mick and Keith owe them nothing...not to be cold...but it's their own fault...Keith begged Wyman to stay...and Bill and Taylor have made more in their lifetimes than 99% of us on this board...double shame on them for not managing their money.

I say...Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie...cheers to you! enjoy what you earned.

PECMAN

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:00

I agree with pecman.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:11

agree.....why not share with every poor soul who may have played with them in the past?
if you stay with the band you share in their glory$$$$

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:13

i would agree with Pecman, except that it sounds like Pecman takes MLDC's word for it
that either Bill or Mick T is interested in gifts of money from the Stones or anyone else.
MLDC just posts sh1t like that hoping to humiliate Mick T and Bill. who can both earn their own money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-26 20:42 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:27

If Bill or Mick Taylor were truly hurting for money, they wouldn't be fortunate enough to do what they love for a living. Since leaving the Stones they have both done exactly what they wanted -- played with who they wanted, expressed themselves creatively when they so desired. They are not hurting. There are plenty of bands that would have happily added Bill Wyman as their bassist, he chose to form his own band, play what he wants, write a little, sing a little, raise a family, etc. Mick Taylor has had several opportunities from the 70s through the 90s to be an ace guitarist for any number of musical heavyweights. He wants to be a journeyman guitarist when he's not fronting his own band. Its not like these guys were blackballed when they left the Stones. They are both talented musicians who make a living playing music. They may not be on the World's Wealthiest Performers Lists, but that was their choice and obviously one neither of them regrets. They do quite well as former Rolling Stone's and their legacy is secure no matter how many photos they're airbrushed out of on forthcoming compilations. We should admire them for their talent and good fortune, not pity them for choosing to leave the band.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 26, 2007 20:41

Lounge acts at a decent Vegas Hotel pay $4,000 to $5,000 per week, per person (depending on circumstanses) including room and board (although taxable). There is no reason for any musician with a name to starve unless they are throwing their money away (like on a $20,000 a month mortgage and other simple pleasures).

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: September 26, 2007 21:37

MCDDTLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well,
>
> The guys banked $437 Mil. this tour.. set the
> record..
>
> Would ge "nice" of them to "share" a little with
> former members who are "hurting" for money right
> about now..
>
> MLC

This figure is missing the revenue of the European leg, isn't it? Wasn't there an article the Stones were this year's top earners with $88 mio. So it's 437+88 = $525 mio winking smiley

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 26, 2007 22:02

Pecman Wrote:
and Bill and
> Taylor have made more in their lifetimes than 99%
> of us on this board...double shame on them for not
> managing their money.
>

I've not heard anything that would indicate that Bill Wyman has not looked after his finances?? He did participate in the first real moneyspinner 1989 - 90 and probably gets a few royalities on records sold from his time in the band (I believe the Stones sell about 2-3 million albums a year - every year - from their back catalogue)

Date: September 26, 2007 22:03

ISay - That's the figure that's being published today for the: Bigger Bang Tour

Pecman, Soul and the others - you guys are not aware of Mr. Taylor's finances.

Bill hung around touring until the early 90's. he banked enough to live
comfortly. Not the case with M.T. He left in 1975, before the Stones were
raking it in, hand over fist on tour..

And yes it was he decision to quit and Jagger/Richards have to "obligation"
to share with any former members. But for what this guy did for the Stones
after Brian was ejected, and until Ronnie came on board can't be underestimated.

Taylor likes to call his own shot's, play with whoever and not be tied down.
But it has cost him in the pocketbook. Trust me on this one - I know!!

The guy needs a shot in the arm (career-wise) or some help - $$$

Hell - when Keith heard about Johnnie Johnson (Chuck Berry's old Piano player)
having to drive a bus to survive, he stepped up and helped him out with money..

When Charlie heard about Nicky Hopkins dying and leaving his wife with a $100K
hospital bill, Charlie (and only Charlie) scratched a check for the bill -
in full.. so when they feel like it, they do help people...

MLC

Date: September 26, 2007 22:26

You mean the Stones could give him an out of court settlement (like they did in 1981 for TATTOO YOU) or they could let him play a show with them and pay him (like they did in Kansas City 1981) or Keith could show up at one of Mick's club gigs and bring him some attention (like he did in 1986) or Woody could book him at his club in Miami (like he did in 1987) or Keith could hire him for session work on a solo album (like he did in 1987) or Keith could produce a demo for him and pay for the studio time himself to try to help him get a recording contract (like he did in 1988) or they could have opted to include him in their Hall of Fame inductions despite the fact he wasn't an original or current member (like they did in 1989) or Bill could invite him to do session work with his band (like he did in 1996) or the Stones could invite him onstage as a high-profile guest (like they did in 2003). Yeah, I know what you mean, there's a lot they could do to show their appreciation for Mr. Taylor.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 26, 2007 22:30

MCDDTLC Wrote:
--
> When Charlie heard about Nicky Hopkins dying and
> leaving his wife with a $100K
> hospital bill, Charlie (and only Charlie)
> scratched a check for the bill -
> in full.. so when they feel like it, they do help
> people...

And how do you know it's so?
Ya got access to Micks & Keith's accounts?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 26, 2007 22:33

AC/DC never took Bon Scott's family off the pay-roll. His wife and children have been compensated all these years.

That speaks volume of what kind of guys they are.

Bill and Mick left under their own decision...not sure if the Stones owe them any money...they may owe them an opportunity to play with them, if they choose. Maybe?

Do they owe Brians family? That's another question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-26 22:35 by Bingo.

Date: September 26, 2007 22:36

yeah right - and Mick T's authorized you to go around begging on his behalf?
if you're so concerned about his finances/career, go line up some gigs for him
instead of publicly humiliating him and theorizing about what other people should do.

(and yes, the Stones do help people when they feel like it - that much you did get right.
the rest of your factoids are skewed as usual.)

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 26, 2007 22:43

Rocky Dijon Wrote:
> You mean the Stones could give him an out of court
> settlement (like they did in 1981 for TATTOO YOU)
> or they could let him play a show with them and
> pay him (like they did in Kansas City 1981) or
> Keith could show up at one of Mick's club gigs and
> bring him some attention (like he did in 1986) or
> Woody could book him at his club in Miami (like he
> did in 1987) or Keith could hire him for session
> work on a solo album (like he did in 1987) or
> Keith could produce a demo for him and pay for the
> studio time himself to try to help him get a
> recording contract (like he did in 1988) or they
> could have opted to include him in their Hall of
> Fame inductions despite the fact he wasn't an
> original or current member (like they did in 1989)
> or Bill could invite him to do session work with
> his band (like he did in 1996) or the Stones could
> invite him onstage as a high-profile guest (like
> they did in 2003). Yeah, I know what you mean,
> there's a lot they could do to show their
> appreciation for Mr. Taylor.

Nicely put!

Date: September 26, 2007 22:52

Soul - not trying to humiliate him, just stating the facts. You can do with it what you want. I want to see him where he belongs, acknowledged as one of the
best guitarists to come out of England. Not playing dive bars for pocket change,
when he's touring solo..
Hope he get's some lime-light on this Hendrix tour!!

Bab. Bro - Heard that one from a very reliable source.

And Rocky - Love your instances of "thrown cookie crumbs" to Taylor.
KC-81 - pay him??? where did you get that one? didn't let him plug into the
soundboard was what happened, and that show was a disaster, by all accounts.

He played Ronnie's club and Ronnie slag's him in that Book by repeating a
note written by Taylor that should have been kept secret.

Botton-line is the guy got screwed out of big bucks with the writing credit issues... talk about that!

MLC

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2007 22:56

with sssoul Wrote:
> (...) instead of publicly humiliating him (...)

That's what I'm thinking as well. In fact, if I were Mick Taylor, I'd probably give MCDDTLC a real good beating.

Date: September 26, 2007 22:59

Hey Erik - any time - name the place...

MLC

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:00

I'm not him...I'm me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-26 23:00 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 26, 2007 23:05

Thought so..

MLC

Date: September 26, 2007 23:05

going around claiming he's incapable of earning a living and in need of handouts
is a mighty screwy way of "not trying to humiliate him".

>> writing credit issues... talk about that! <<

okay: if he has a case, let him put it forward - through the appropriate channels, i mean.
hashing it out on fan boards doesn't lead anywhere, especially when ... ahem, never mind :E

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:07

along the subject lines but away from above a min...

speaking of Guinness....... is it true that Ronnie had a genuine guiness pump and supply installed in his Irish home \ castle?...and it was Guinness oficials that had to check it periodically....

Dog

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:17

and going back to above stuff,

IMHO - Mick taylor - was he not good enough to have joined a succesful other band after leaving the stones?... im sure there were other groups that had lost guitarists for whatever reason that would have welcomed his efforts ...

I suspect it was his choice not to look at other groups for "employment" unless he did and was deemed not good enough?...
He could have made a lot of money elsewhere - it aint just the stones that rake it in..

Dog

Date: September 26, 2007 23:26

Soul - I'm not saying he incapable of earing a living. Your blowing things out of proportion, like usual. But the botton line is he's hurting financially,
and I got that straight from someone who records with him!

And the writing credit issue, according to him, it's been an on-going issue
with him and the Glimmers ever since he quit. He has said that when the subject
comes up, they (Jagger mostly) says: oh yeah we have to take care of that,etc.
but so far, nothing.

Taylor has wanted to stay friends so he didn't want to sue, he took Ronnie's
attitude, that sooner or later these things will work themselves out.

But right about now, Taylor could use some help, just help..
hopefully from some friends he helped out when they needed him..

MLC

Date: September 26, 2007 23:28

Look, I love the Taylor era of the band. I think the guy's a brilliant guitar player before, during, and after the Stones. I think he deserved co-writing credits for contributions to shaping songs, but it just wasn't going to happen...not anytime soon anyway. Like Mr. Perks, he is capable of writing and singing, but I don't think either of them are very good at it. I'm sorry they both left the band from a fan's perspective, but I honestly doubt they regret it.

If he was truly hurting financially, he could do something about it as a musician even today. He doesn't need to play with local European bands, he does it because he loves the music and respects their integrity. You honestly believe he couldn't show up at Clapton's doorway and say I'd like to trade licks and be turned away? You honestly think Sheryl Crow would turn Mick Taylor away if he was interested? He's where he is because he wants to be. He could be a high-profile sideman like he was for Dylan in the eighties, but he doesn't want that life and everything that comes with it. Good for him. I'm happy for both Taylor and Wyman. They don't go to the office every day. They don't worry where their next paycheck is coming from.

The trouble is too many fans of Brian/Mick T/Wyman/Billy Preston/Ry Cooder/Gram Parsons, etc. identify with their heroes to the point they believe they as fans have been wronged by the band (I'm pretty sure this is called transference, but I might be mistaken). The only thing that would satisfy them is for Mick and Keith to hold a press conference, sobbingly tell the world how they wronged their aforementioned associates, beg their forgiveness, and announce they are giving a third of their estates to them "because they made us who we are today." Anything else is just er...cookie crumbs, I believe you said?

So watch it, man, I piss Brown Mustard.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:35

taylor needing money, maybe, wyman needing money, no way, bill is just fine or he would have taken one of the stones offers to tour, rumor has it they have been begging him since BTB,taylor would do it also but he has never been asked

Date: September 26, 2007 23:40

I really don't believe the Stones have asked Wyman to do one show since he officially left (1992)...I think one of the reasons the Stones have taken to the road so much later in their career is because of the absence of Wyman...from what I read, he was a real drag to have around on the road.

PECAMN

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 26, 2007 23:42

Well said, Rocky

Date: September 26, 2007 23:45

I have a straight forward question...if Taylor did write songs in those glory years...how come he hasn't been able to write anything noteworthy since he left the Stones?

I don't ever recall a Mick Taylor penned tune on the radio.

Can someone give me the list because I'm probably ignorant when it comes to Mick Taylor's hits.

In retrospect, it's his fault for being quiet and shy about the situation...if I'm him...it's like this "Hey Mick, when are the credits being handed into the label?...ya mind if I review them before we send them...I want to make sure my credits are straight"...problem avoided.

PECMAN

PECMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home