Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T: The Prodigy,Empress Ballroom,Blackpool,Saturday 23rd January 2010
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 24, 2010 13:50

Hello,

Ah,the shame of it all:me,going to see a band who still feature all their original members and are still creating music that they believe in and are proud to play live.
At least I've got that out of the way for the rest of 2010!

I don't know how many tickets were shifted for last night's show but it was absolutely rammed down on the Empress Ballroom's sprung floor:the joint was literally jumping.Age-wise,I was definitely in the upper one-percentile,hah-hah!

As far as The Prodigy's music goes,I only know (and love) 1997's 'Fat Of The Land',so I Spotify-ed myself to death with their latest long-player,'Invaders Must Die'.To be honest,there isn't much difference between them to my untrained ears:the later work still has enough crunching riffs,insane beats and dare I say...melody too.Some @#$%& terrific songs in their arsenal for sure.

The Prodigy live do what it says on the tin:they are loud enough to wake the dead and I can only say that I've never seen a crowd as into a band in my life.Just unreal.

The star of the show is Keith Flint who still appears to be rocking his Flock Of Seagulls 'cut:with him,you get the impression that if he wasn't onstage with the band he'd be down the front with the rest of the loons,moshing and surfing.
He shares the stage with Maxim who stalks around and between the pair of them they shout,sing,cajole and dance the punters into another land.Really.

Maybe purists will say that it's a moot point calling The Prodigy a live band given the use of backing tracks but there are live vocals,drums and occasionally,guitars complete with Townshend leaps.
What isn't in dispute is what a terrific performance this band put on-at least as fierce as the Motorhead show that I saw last November...no greater compliment have I!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-24 16:22 by SimonN.

Re: The Prodigy,Empress Ballroom,Blackpool,Saturday 23rd January 2010
Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: January 24, 2010 15:26

I saw them a while ago at Brixton Academy. It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 24, 2010 15:38

Thx for this breath of fresh air on IORR Simon!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 24, 2010 15:43

SimonN,

I have the new Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (came out last year) - and though it isn't nearly the world-changing masterpiece that Fat of the Land was in '97 it still packs a vicious punch and it's a nice return to form for the Prodigy after some years in the wilderness. I saw them in concert back in their heyday in the '90's and I would love to see them again. Good to know they're still rocking the joint...I hope I get a chance to see them again soon!

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: January 24, 2010 20:38

Hi I went to see them in Brid on friday night. First time I have ever seen them; my son and daughter (in their 20s) persuaded me to go along. It was great and unlike anything I have ever seen before.

[vintagerock.wordpress.com]

Re: O/T: The Prodigy,Empress Ballroom,Blackpool,Saturday 23rd January 2010
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 25, 2010 10:28

thanks for the review Simon

Seen The Prodigy afew times down the years and they never disappoint.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 25, 2010 11:05

Hi A-L,

You wouldn't believe it!

I had a look on The Prodigy's fan forum and posted my drivel and saw that already their set-list moaners are having a go at the band!

"Play this,drop that etc.."

We're all the same,hah-hah!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 25, 2010 11:46

do they have in-depth discussuons/analysis on their Keith's hair and makeup, like we do with ours?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 25, 2010 12:41

Thanks for review and photo's, Simon.

I have their Best-of. I enjoy some of their earlier hits - Outta Space, etc - and who doesn't like Fire Starter? Great video - same goes for Smack My Bitch Up, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home