Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Scanning thru the 90's and 00's
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: January 23, 2010 18:56

I've been scanning the discs from the ninties and oo's up to the most recent album ABB. Listening to them over and over again, trying to get in the mood of The Rolling Stones. I certainly admit that there's albums that might be more Rolling Stones than any other album.

But still zipping thru ninties and 00's isn't that bad after all!
So I cherish their lately made records to quite some extent.

It's only rock and roll, tempered by wisdom isn't it?

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Re: Scanning thru the 90's and 00's
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 23, 2010 19:05

In 1990 I became a fan, and I really liked what fBllowed. Indeed, those discs are not perfect , yet they give it to me. I love the barcelona version of Terrifying with the trumpet. My favourite tours are 89/90 and 97-99. It is good that someone here appreciates the "Rolling Stones part 2", as Keef called them. In my oppinion part 3 started in 2002.

Date: January 23, 2010 19:26

I remember being shipped over the river in Gothenburg to the old
and deserted shipyards of "Eriksberg" in Gothenburg.

After the show there I thought "Ok, come on any rock band there is, you can't do anything like this". The Stones were and still are the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Take it or leave it that they are not as active as in their peak period. They are still the greatest rock and roll band on earth. Just try compare any u2 album with ABB and other albums. I make the suggestion due to that U2 has been called up there challenging the throne of our dear band.

But none of them gets up there over the cliff of the final stairs.
So let's cherish the Stones for all their (if not "Hard work", at least their good work) good work and they're in my eyes still the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

The same thing happened in 2003 in Stockholm and I love the band!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 23, 2010 19:44

if i could do a compilation album of all the stones later stuff from 1989 onwards it would appear to be almost as good as any from the 60,s or 70,s. but the problem with the stones later stuff is that any individual album is always compared to the stones "greatest songs" which is an unfair comparisen indeed when you consider that the stones greatest songs all individually came from studio albums which in thier own right might have been average anyway. but this seems to have been happening since the early 70,s anyway.some people just never considered that a compilation album of greatest songs is always going to be better than any studio album but yet people always condemned later stones stuff as weak or irrelevant for some reason.

here is my attempt at compiling what would in my opinion be an album by the stones that represented the last 20 odd years best.

side 1

1. continental drift.
2. love is strong.
3. flip the switch.
4. highwire.
5. this place is empty.
6. almost hear you sigh.
7. you got me rocking.
8. already over me.
9. laugh i nearly died.
10. break the spell.

side 2.

1. hold on to your hat.
2. the worst.
3. you dont have to mean it.
4. rainfall down.
5. like a rolling stone.
6. sad sad sad.
7. i go wild
8. gunface.
9. rough justice.
10. infamy.

if those songs had come out on the 60,s packaged as a compilation album instead of being released on studio albums over 16 years they would be favoured ahead of all the 70,s stuff that was critisized post exile.

Date: January 23, 2010 19:46

wee bobby lennox
if i could do a compilation album of all the stones later stuff from 1989 onwards it would appear to be almost as good as any from the 60,s or 70,s. but the problem with the stones later stuff is that any individual album is always compared to the stones "greatest songs" which is an unfair comparisen indeed when you consider that the stones greatest songs all individually came from studio albums which in thier own right might have been average anyway. but this seems to have been happening since the early 70,s anyway.some people just never considered that a compilation album of greatest songs is always going to be better than any studio album but yet people always condemned later stones stuff as weak or irrelevant for some reason.

here is my attempt at compiling what would in my opinion be an album by the stones that represented the last 20 odd years best.

side 1

1. continental drift.
2. love is strong.
3. flip the switch.
4. highwire.
5. this place is empty.
6. almost hear you sigh.
7. you got me rocking.
8. already over me.
9. laugh i nearly died.
10. break the spell.

side 2.

1. hold on to your hat.
2. the worst.
4. rainfall down.
5. like a rolling stone.
6. sad sad sad.
7. i go wild
8. gunface.
9. rough justice.
10. infamy.

if those songs had come out on the 60,s packaged as a compilation album instead of being released on studio albums over 16 years they would be favoured ahead of all the 70,s stuff that was critisized post exile.

You're spot on, in my humble opinion!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 23, 2010 20:59

Fan Since 1964
wee bobby lennox

side 1

1. continental drift.
2. love is strong.
3. flip the switch.
4. highwire.
5. this place is empty.
6. almost hear you sigh.
7. you got me rocking.
8. already over me.
9. laugh i nearly died.
10. break the spell.

side 2.

1. hold on to your hat.
2. the worst.
4. rainfall down.
5. like a rolling stone.
6. sad sad sad.
7. i go wild
8. gunface.
9. rough justice.
10. infamy.

You're spot on, in my humble opinion!

I'd swap out Gunface, Infamy & Already Over Me for Saint of Me, Anybody Seen My Baby and How Can I Stop, but it's not at all a bad compilation.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 23, 2010 21:03

No matter how good or bad the songs on the albums were to have been regarding the hype and comparisons to albums past, I was always excited when news of a new record came out and then when the trailer and album and further singles came out. It's always a good day when something new by the Stones comes out.

Although I'm still mystified about Streets Of Love as opposed to some of the other much better songs on A Bigger Bang...

Date: January 23, 2010 23:33

skipstone
No matter how good or bad the songs on the albums were to have been regarding the hype and comparisons to albums past, I was always excited when news of a new record came out and then when the trailer and album and further singles came out. It's always a good day when something new by the Stones comes out.

Although I'm still mystified about Streets Of Love as opposed to some of the other much better songs on A Bigger Bang...

TRUE!

Date: January 23, 2010 23:37

Streets of love has an image of what many of us probably endure in the latter years of our lives. Still though it has some kind of energy that love songs from the Stones always deliver either musically or / and musically or lyrically,

Sometimes I (if only I) connect to the words and the music.

It's still the greatest rock and roll band in the world who performs the song!

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: January 24, 2010 02:20

wee bobby lennox

side 1

1. continental drift.
2. love is strong.
3. flip the switch.
4. highwire.
5. this place is empty.
6. almost hear you sigh.
7. you got me rocking.
8. already over me.
9. laugh i nearly died.
10. break the spell.

side 2.

1. hold on to your hat.
2. the worst.
4. rainfall down.
5. like a rolling stone.
6. sad sad sad.
7. i go wild
8. gunface.
9. rough justice.
10. infamy.

An interesting list, but personally I'd have to include Saint of Me. Wouldn't necessarily delete any tracks, but I'd love to see your cover!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 24, 2010 02:43

I will agree there are a lot of good songs in the 90's and 00's

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:13

My only beef is "Hold Onto Your Hat."

Agree with others that Saint of Me is missing. And where's "Out of Control?" Lord help me, now.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:17

out of control needs a mention.
even as a live song (saw the band do it in 2005 in toronto).
the song is massive and deserves more attention in my opinion.

Date: January 24, 2010 05:32

canadian.sway
out of control needs a mention.
even as a live song (saw the band do it in 2005 in toronto).
the song is massive and deserves more attention in my opinion.

Also true!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 24, 2010 18:30

I read this thread and made a disc for the car:
Love Is Strong
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Like A Rolling Stone
Little Baby
Thru and Thru
She Saw Me Coming
Mixed Emotions
Almost Hear You Sigh
Slipping Away
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Dangerous Beauty

I am enjoying it this is pretty fine stuff and we should not just dismiss it. Is it as good as the old days? No! But we should really not expect it to be. Some of these songs would fit on some past albums though.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 24, 2010 21:23

Nice threat i enjoyed reading it. In Holland since Wood joined Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue, Still Live, Tatttoo You, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and a Bigger Bang all reached the nr 1 position of the album charts, so yes ofcourse the Stones are still and always will be the greatest band. And wouldn't it be great if the Stones had the courage to do a show with only songs from the last 35 years? I think the main reason for them playing Jumping and Honky again and again is that they fear that if the (not Stones fanatic) masses that come to their concerts will not hear a song they recognise, they may come less enthousiastic. But they've made a lot of songs that everybody knows in the last 35 yrs to throw in for that purpose like Love is Strong, Undercover of the Night, Anybody Seen My Baby, Harlem Shuffle, Like a Rolling Stone, To Much Blood, Miss You, Start Me Up, Waiting om a Friend, and Going to a Go Go just to mention a few.More than enough well known songs for the bigger audience to quench that fear. So a few of those hits from the past 35 yrs and the rest just good stuff from the last few albums, like Rain Fall Down and ofcourse Out of Control. I would really love to see the Stones do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-24 22:00 by behroez.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home