Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did or do your parents like(d) the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 19, 2010 19:33

well, I am 56 and my father died in 1988. He knew, that I was a great fan of this group. He was a great "classic"-fan. liked Beethoven-Brahms etc.. Sure he had to hear some STONES-Stuff, when i played it very loud (which was usual). no--he really didnt like the songs, only ONE TIME, when he heard"AS TEARS GO BY". OHHH, he said the middle-part they obviously "borrowed" by johann Sebastian Bach!!
Mother is still alive (86) , saw mick and keith a few days ago on german tV-(Shine a light)--and said:" ohhh, are their looking old"....

but thanks to them, they allowed me to see the Stones in Berlin 1965--and Hyde-park 1969. Thanks.

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: Did or do your parents like(d) the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 19, 2010 19:40

Thank god NO----ha..If they did i wouldn't have...But later in life they grew to like some of their music..

My dad liked, Lady Jane, Sweet virginis and my mom, Loved little T & A, she also liked As tears goes by and angie,

My dad used to joke his saddest day was when he came to my room and saw all the posters of the great football stars were gone and replaced with posters of the rolling stones, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards... ha..

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 19, 2010 20:21

Me old mum did, God rest here soul...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2010 20:26

No, but they know who they are! Even my ancient grandma knew 3 rock acts - Elvis, Beatles, Stones! All 10 of her grandchildren have seen the band. Lots of Stones stuff exchanged at Christmas.

Ny mom worked at a country music radio station (we're talking late-60s early 70s here) - so I was expose to Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, etc. Glad of it too - that's some good music.

My dad was a high school coach so I was around lots of teenagers - Beatles, Stones, Three Dog Night, Credence, etc.

My grandma exposed us to the Baptist Hymnal - lots of classics in there too. "Rock Of Ages", not the Def Leppard song! LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-19 21:04 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: BIGJIMBANGS ()
Date: January 19, 2010 21:02

My mom died in 1997 and was a huge Frank Sinatra fan. I used to joke and tell her that he was old and should give the Stones a listen. To this she said she would like to see Mick Jagger still sing when he is 60. Well he did but unfortunatedly she did not live to hear it.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 19, 2010 21:04

No, they were Sinatra fans, but they bought me my first component audio equipment for Christmas when I was 15, and were hugely tolerant of my playing rock music in my bedroom.

God rest their souls.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: January 19, 2010 21:28

Unrelated band but my Grandmother is as big a Queen fan as i am. She came with me to see Queen + Paul Rodgers at the end of 2008. The best part was because of her arthritis she can't walk to far so she had to go in her wheelchair and the carer gets in free!! Got to love the Eighty year olds and there great ideas.

My grandfather is a big stones fan, but he is a bit younger.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 19, 2010 21:33

My parents never liked the Stones, until the day my father heard me playing Route 66 on my record player.

He knocked on my bedroom door, told me he used to like that song when he was younger, and asked who's version I was playing.

I was then allowed to see the Stones for the first time in '78. grinning smiley

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: January 19, 2010 21:34

Mama didn't like the lyrics of "Sweet Black Angel" too much. I remember that. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:21

My father was fond of classical music .

It's my duty to say I owe him my love for classical music and jazz.

My mother has always been a very open- minded person ( I guess she has never translated the Stones lyrics .....)

In June 1976 she came with me and a friend of mine to my first Stones concert.
Actually ,she liked it , and was present to "our" second Stones show in Lyon ,1982.

Still today ,she reckon the Stones are great & Jagger is wonderful .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:26

I hear the Stones because my father likes them. but now i am a bigger fan than him. but even my grandmother liked the stones and knew them.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:29

My mother was convinced that I was going to hell because I love the Stones. That's how much she disliked them.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:35

My father born in 1910, died at the age of 78 loved classical music, opera and............................ the Beatles.
My mother born in 1915, died at the age of 91 loved singers like Mario Lanza and "Heintje" hated Frank Sinatra though.

Remember I played a lot of '68-'73 stuff at home back then so I don't think they liked that ...Get Yer Ya Ya;s was on my turn table for years

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:40

I remember bringing home 'Out of Heads' way back in 1979, my Da glancing at it and saying "Oh The Rolling Stones...they're ancient." In 1979!!!

tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 19, 2010 22:44

Mum had this tape of Rolled Gold. I must have been 5 or six I guess maybe older. We lived in a colonial style house on Cakobau Rd in Suva, Fiji. I loved it when she played it.. Drove my Dad nuts coz he liked Beethoven and had all Beethovens stuff on vinyl conducted by Herbert Von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmonic. I got those records now and the tape of Rolled Gold. Takes me back to my childhood. We had a Fijian house keeper called Millie who'd look after me while Mum was out shopping and I'd play Rolled Gold a little. (Millie was great fun and looked after me as if I were her own. When I was a teenager Millie gave me my first taste of Yaqona otherwise known as Cava). I'd play Carol a lot and then wind the tape back to where it was on the tape where my mum left it making a note of the counter on the tape deck so Mum didn't know I'd been using the HiFi. My God that brings back really fond memories of a fantastic childhood....brings tears to my eyes to think how lucky I am.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: January 19, 2010 23:01

My dad LOVED them. He was only 21 when I was born. He was the same age as Wyman - born only one month and two days before Bill.
He took me to lots of concerts. The most memorable ones: The Stones in Oslo, when I was 7. And to se David Bowie in Japan in '72.
Sadly he passed away at the very young age of 37.

My mother was a Beatles-fan. As was my sister. That's why they had to stay at home when dad took me to my first Stones show. -Bringing those two? No! That's money out of the window, he said.
My mother met a couple of band members, and learned to like some of the balads at a very mature age. We played "Wild Horses" in church at her funeral last summer.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 19, 2010 23:02

my mom know ANGIE--better known as first lady in germany

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 19, 2010 23:06

Funny post............... feel sad and happy at the same time

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: January 19, 2010 23:52

My parents are the classical musicians, and though my mother does admit The Stones have the drive and life in the sound, my father dislikes them very much and always goes about "street" and "gateway" musicsmiling smiley.

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: January 20, 2010 00:13

For my parents my interesting for The Rolling Stones was strange, and they thought that it was some kind of young rebellion. My mother was very good educated, liked and play classical music but didn’t bother me with.
They both are died, he at 76 (born1908), she at 61 (b.1911).
But something other is characteristic for all this. My father have idol very similar like me with Stones. And guess who it was? Rudolf Valentino!
Sure Valenino was died much before I was born, but I remembering very well with how much passion he spoke about him.
And I was so cruel and sometimes made jokes at how Valentino was pussy (faget) etc.
So I think that my children’s are much better because they respect Stones.
Only my son when I’m vain and pretentious saying to every my word: ‘’it’s not concert, its spectacle’’.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2010 01:43

my father - somewhat. Casually, knows their warhorses good enough.
my mother - no way.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: January 20, 2010 01:47

my dad named me keith for mr. richards! he actually wanted my birth certificate to read "keef".

OLDKR

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 20, 2010 01:56

My parents are 80 year old they live in the Loire Valley (France). I taught them who the stones were a long time ago. My father likes Satisfaction and my mam Angie.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: MickTaylorfan1 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:02

My dad is 60 and is a huge huge fan of Stones. It became natural for me to continue on his road smiling smiley Stones have always been the main band for dad. He likes some other bands too, and especially Patti Smith but its 97% stones flowing out of his stereo grinning smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:29

Christ , they are in their 80's . I remember playing JJF for my mother and commenting about the "toothless city hag " line . (I had issues back then ). Well needless to say they were not fans of the Stones but in recent years my dad has heard some of their more " mellow " stuff and actually thought it wasn't all that bad . So I made him a cassette to play in his car .

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:39

My father (R.I.P) used to like some of their tracks , he thought that they are not as good as The Beatles but hell he allowed me to play my records Loud Thanks DADwinking smiley
My Mum, No way No way No way !confused smiley

HMN

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: January 20, 2010 03:37

My love of music comes directly from the old man. His collection of 78's included Billie Holiday, Woody Guthrie, and Cecil Grant. I heard the Will Bradley Trio's "Down the Road a Piece", from his stash, before I even knew the Stones had cut it. One day he walked past me in the living room, where I was listening to the Stones and said, "I'll tell you what makes that band- the lead singer and the drummer."

Dad, at the time I thought you were way off. Now I think I agree with you. Thanks for everything, but particularly for leaving your old records around.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 04:14

My father tolerates their hits, loves everything up until Goats Head Soup besides Buttons, Satanic Majesty's, and most of Exile.

My mother likes one song, 'Emotional Rescue.' Considering she's 79 this is rather funny.

Posted by: DaisyGrace ()
Date: January 20, 2010 04:36

What a great thread. grinning smiley

Dad was born in '28 and Mom in '30. They listened to a lot of country music while I was growing up, along with big band stuff. They were somewhat horrified when I glommed on to the Stones when I was 13 (in 1978), but were quite tolerant.

Dad was an over the road truck driver and he let me play my Stones cassette tapes while we drove on down the highway (a lot of time spent on what used to be route 66, actually).

Now my 13 year old niece has discovered the Stones and my mom's going through it all again. (Dad passed in 2003.)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 20, 2010 06:20

My Dad was born in 1930, can't say he was a Stones fan, but he did like the song Satisfaction and was glad when they performed it at the Superbowl (I said Superbowl, so sue me). When the song first came out he use to argue with me that the singer had to be black.

Now he's into Rod Stewart's old folks music.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home