Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did or do your parents like(d) the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 20, 2010 06:37

Great post!

My father had no interest in rock and roll, whoever it is/was.

My mother despised the Rolling Stones, was horrified by who she called "Mick Decadence." Would conjur up Mick for years as the poster child for the overall degradation of music, art, morality, socializing and basically driving us to hell in a handbasket (much as some people here do about hip hopwinking smiley)

Both parents bitterly resented the Rolling Stones (and the Who) for getting my brother into drugs...he eventually took too many trips and never quite made it back. Guess they had to blame something. Truth is, without music my brother would never have stayed alive throughout these years...music including the Stones have continued to be his solace, grace, protector, and most reliable source of enjoyment.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-20 06:40 by swiss.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 20, 2010 06:50

hot stuff
Thank god NO----ha..If they did i wouldn't have...

me too.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 20, 2010 07:03

Good post!

I watched the Stones on Ed Sullivan back in the mid '60's with my dad. When they played Lady Jane he derisively mocked them, saying that there was nothing to their music. He never liked them at all.

He was a jazz fan. From the time I have my earliest memories, I remember hearing George Shearing, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, and many other jazz icons on the record player at home. He also liked big band music He had hundreds of LP's, mainly old-school jazz. After his death in '95 my mom made a good amount of money selling many of the records. As I was going through them, to my utter shock, I found a rare Decca Rolling Stones 5-LP boxed set, with a photo of one of the Stones on each jacket, and the text on the albums was in English and French. I still have it. He must have picked it up at a yard sale.

My mother kind of liked them and the Beatles. She is still alive and in good health. One day a few years ago she was in the car with me singing along to "Proud Mary". When it came to the lyric, "Pumped a lot of 'tane down in New Orleans", she sang, "Humped a lot of babes down in New Orleans". She thought that was the lyric. We laughed so hard I almost drove off the highway!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 20, 2010 07:07

My parents are in their mid 60s and NO way do they like the stones.I keep asking my mother if she at least liked satisfaction when it came out, but no, she prefers john fogerty.My father is a country fan(slim dusty). While I lived with them I used to put them through 3-4 hours every night of stones on my guitar,so they know some of their songs, but it was the stones lifestyle they are/were against. (if only they knew!!!)

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 20, 2010 09:46

My parents were born in 51' and 55'. In the Czechoslovakia, which means there was nearly no way to get to this kind of music. My dad said that the first time he saw Beatles "moving" was on TV in 1990 after the wall came down. But of course there were some very limited ways - my dad had a mixed tape with Beatles he managed to get in the seventies (I actually still have it somewhere).

But back to the topic: today my mom is not a fan of music generally. I can not say she wouldn't like the Stones, she just doesn't know them at all. My dad is also not a fan really, but since he generally likes music and since under normal circumstances this would have been the music of his youth, I actually bought him a ticket for a RS concert as a birthday present in 2007 (FOS). We went together and he really enjoyed it. He didn't become a fan (he is into country music), but he has a respect for the Stones and for what they do.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-20 12:42 by Happy24.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 20, 2010 10:43

listened to my father's ABKCO double album compilation " Get Stoned" endlessly as a kid. The inner gatefold photo montage transfixed,
hypnotised and fascinated me.... their music seeped into me,
there and then and has never left.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 20, 2010 12:12

My introduction to the Stones was when I was about 8 or 9 when my dad brought home a strange looking record cover with the corners missing, The moment he put on 'through the past..' I was hooked. My dad likes the stones very much but always prefered the Who and we have had many an argument on which band is better but I am always really thankful he introduced me to great music at a time when all my firends were listening to the Osmonds and other teeny bopper crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-20 12:13 by Ket.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 20, 2010 12:35

My father bought Come On upon it's release in '63.

If it were not for his collection of Stones 45's, I may not be the fan I am today.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: January 20, 2010 13:01

They're not big music lovers, they just know what's on the radio. My mom sometimes hears me play a stones song like Honky Tonk Woman, and she says "The STONES did that? That's an old song." '

Believe me, I've tried to get them to listen to Sticky Fingers, but it's just not their thing - as crazy as that seems.

She says Wild Horses is too slow.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: January 20, 2010 16:53

My parents both dug the Stones (they were original fans from the 1960s) although my Dad more so...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 20, 2010 17:46

My father got me into the Stones, I think he regretted it at times because I talk so much about them, and I took them more serious than he ever did. By now I am fan, but not a fanatic.

Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: January 20, 2010 18:19

yes! thank you very much, dad.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 20, 2010 18:20

I really enjoy reading your posts .smiling smiley

Actually I find it very nice to hear how and when you" went "on the Stones and in which way our common love for the band was received by our relatives.

My mother is 75 years old and last summer , I took my DVD player and we 've watched "Les Abattoirs 76 " .She was really enthousiastic and told me about some of her memories from the show - more vivid than mines actually .

She also saw some parts from Shine A Light and seemed to appreciate it a lot.
She said " They are still the same ,easy to recognize them ."
She wasn't talking about how they looked ,but how they were on stage I guess.

My father doesn't seem to understand my " endless passion ever " for the band .
He thinks this is the way I've found to stay a teenager forever .
And as a teenager would say ,I 've answered him :
" Dad ,you cannot understand ." smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 20, 2010 20:41

My mum (born 1908) liked light classical music and the popular music of her own generation, but she never tried to control my taste in music or stop me from listening to what I liked - and in any case I enjoyed many of the same things that she did, as well as the modern stuff.

Like many parents in the 60s, she quite liked the Beatles but couldn't abide the Stones (and as for those Pretty Things....!) But it wasn't a musical judgment as much as a moral and personal one: the Beatles appeared clean and tidy and well-behaved, but the Stones looked dirty, scruffy and bad-mannered. Of course those were both manufactured images, but they had the desired effect: your mum and dad thought the Beatles were good boys and the Stones were bad ones, and actually listening to their music wasn't so important - if you were a parent, you made the decision by looking at them!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home