Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jagger and M.C Escher (Through The Past Darkly cover )
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 9, 2010 07:16

SwayStones, brilliant post/thread - What a great find! Thank you for sharing. I couldn't see the link you posted for some reason - can you double check it?

Doxa's point is so beautifully stated: "the whole rock music scene was enjoying its most politically and culturally hectic and relevant moment... But not everyone was so fascinated of it, even though Mick's friends like Andy Warhol were..."

Great youtube videos, NICOS (interesting to hear him talking about disliking the Gothic and Baroque architecture of Rome for the 12 years he lived there, preferring southern Italian rocks and dome-like, Moorish influences)

Great question about permission, Sway...I'd love to know the answer. if he did give Mott the Hoople permission, my guess would be by 1969 the Stones were thought by straight society to be one of the most decadent destructive forces to youth on the planet. Mott the Hoople wouldn't have been thought of as devil worshipping youth corrupters, methinks winking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 9, 2010 07:20

It would have been more prudent to address Escher as 'Dear Sir', but other than that, it's a friendly, polite letter.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 9, 2010 13:04

Bliss
It would have been more prudent to address Escher as 'Dear Sir', but other than that, it's a friendly, polite letter.

Why? Escher wasn't knighted!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 9, 2010 13:43

boogie1969
windmelody
Mick Jagger was very young when he wrote that letter, and I assume it was in the spirit of the time to be unconventional. I am not a fan of Escher's, but I understand him. If I write a letter to an older man I have never met I would never adress him by his first name.

Oh please. His momma named him Maurits, I'm gonna call him Maurits.

However, it's nice to see someone take the piss out of Jagger.

In fact, his mother called him Mauk.

Concerning Escher's reaction to Jagger -Escher was from a distinguished higher middle class family, and raised amongst aristocracts and diplomats. He was raised with calling his father Sir. So to be addressed as "Dear Maurits" by someone outside the familly and totally unknown to him is simply a faux pas.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2010 13:43

Did Mott/guy stevens actually seek permission? Seems unlikley given that they messed with the original images. I reckon they went ahead without even seeking permission and not being the biggest band in the world or even in uk noone from the escher camp would notice.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 9, 2010 23:06

Mathijs
Concerning Escher's reaction to Jagger -Escher was from a distinguished higher middle class family, and raised amongst aristocracts and diplomats. He was raised with calling his father Sir. So to be addressed as "Dear Maurits" by someone outside the familly and totally unknown to him is simply a faux pas.

Mathijs

It was certainly a faux pass on Mick's part but it it could have been more elegant if Mr Escher lets it go by. Is so vulgar to point out someone's mistakes; especially when they do not cause any real harm.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 9, 2010 23:16

Escher was a great drawer, but it's a pity that they lost contact with the real world because of there upbringing

Date: March 9, 2010 23:25

>>It was certainly a faux pass on Mick's part but it it could have been more elegant if Mr Escher lets it go by. Is so vulgar to point out someone's mistakes; especially when they do not cause any real harm

Yes indeed!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:20

NICOS
Escher was a great drawer, but it's a pity that they lost contact with the real world because of there upbringing

Well, are you sure if Sir Mick hasn't lost his contact with the "real world"... (In fact, by calling Escher so informally as "Mauritz" can be a sign that Jagger was not at the time really contact with the actual conducts of 'real world' but was living in his own hybric fantasy hippie world where everyone is buddy-buddy, etc...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-10 15:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:38

leteyer
Mathijs

Mathijs

It was certainly a faux pass on Mick's part but it it could have been more elegant if Mr Escher lets it go by. Is so vulgar to point out someone's mistakes; especially when they do not cause any real harm.

No, I think he considered Mick's behaviour as an unwished form of intimacy and this was his way of making that clear. That has nothing to do with vulgarity, because he was certainly not arrogant, as one could hear/read in that short interview. As for Mick ....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 10, 2010 17:39

kleermaker
leteyer
Mathijs

Mathijs

No, I think he considered Mick's behaviour as an unwished form of intimacy and this was his way of making that clear. That has nothing to do with vulgarity, because he was certainly not arrogant, as one could hear/read in that short interview. As for Mick ....

I do agree,kleermaker.

Mick was a huge fan of Escher, but Escher did not return the sentiment. Escher was not a tame (lame ? )person, but he preferred classical music to rock and roll.

[searchwarp.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 10, 2010 17:42

swiss
SwayStones, brilliant post/thread - What a great find! Thank you for sharing. I couldn't see the link you posted for some reason - can you double check it?

I forgot to post the link .

[www.artheritageprogram.org]
Page 6

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 12, 2010 19:43

M.C. Escher
Head With Reflecting Sphere (1935)
Lithograph

Date: March 12, 2010 20:32

Date: March 12, 2010 20:32

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 12, 2010 22:43

looks like the scribbling from someone high on acid.i'm so glad this never worked out,it doesnt fit the stones at all,maybe the moody blues or king crimson but the stones....smashing the window suited them much more.

i forget sometimes they put out a perfect greatest hits and a perfect live album during the big four roll.

Date: March 12, 2010 23:02

lem motlow
looks like the scribbling from someone high on acid

Many folks probably enjoyed their acid trips looking at Escher's artwork, but (IMO) a person couldn't possibly draw like THAT if he was high on LSD. Escher's drawing was extremely meticulous and studious. I wouldn't use the term "scribbling" for anything by Escher.

lem motlow
it doesn't fit the stones ... maybe the moody blues or king crimson but [not] the stones

I agree with that though.

Date: March 12, 2010 23:12

Mick's letter and Escher's response are a classic example of the generational divide at the time.

Escher was clearly offended by Mick's familiarity and informality. It's quite likely that Escher had no knowledge of the Stones' stature and saw the letter as one of many unwanted requests from the public.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 13, 2010 19:27

Bliss
Mick's letter and Escher's response are a classic example of the generational divide at the time.

Escher was clearly offended by Mick's familiarity and informality. It's quite likely that Escher had no knowledge of the Stones' stature and saw the letter as one of many unwanted requests from the public.

I'm sure that if Escher knew of Mick Jagger's 'stature' he certainly would have replied in the same way. You obviously know little or nothing of the Dutch culture.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home