Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pink Floyd wins a court ruling against EMI
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:12

Re: Pink Floyd wins a court ruling against EMI
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 12, 2010 21:39

So this is basically what AC/DC has said except not even allowed - album, not songs.

Correct?

I just find that funny because...can't one still find A song by AC/DC or Pink Floyd on any ol' downloading site? I would think so.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 12, 2010 23:38

skipstone
So this is basically what AC/DC has said except not even allowed - album, not songs.

Correct?

I just find that funny because...can't one still find A song by AC/DC or Pink Floyd on any ol' downloading site? I would think so.

True but they are trying to stop the sale of single downloads and force buyers to purchase the entire album as I read it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2010 00:09

I suppose they could strike a deal with someone to sell albums only. But perhaps that's not a money maker, which is ironic seeing that the whole deal with Pink Floyd is about the albums rather than the songs themselves and the albums have sold incredibly well as opposed to any singles they've had, which is not many eh?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 13, 2010 07:41

This summer I bought Pink Floyd's song "Fearless" from iTunes.

After hearing the song many times and loving it, I'm considering buying the rest of the album.

This summer, if I had to purchase the entire album (for $9.99) just to get one song -- I wouldn't have done it.

I appreciate not wanting to bust up an album, especially for a band like Pink Floyd with concept albums and really thoughtful song sequencing. But I wonder how well an "All or nothing" approach will serve them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-13 07:44 by swiss.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: March 13, 2010 09:15

iTunes always did signal the end of the properly constructed album....just buy the bits you like. You then miss the whole concept of what the artist has put together as well as the songs that will mature over the years.....like a fine wine.

It all started with CD's, I suppose. Vinyl albums with 2 sides each with a track listing to drag you through the album.....5 acts of a play on each side?

Then CD's came with a listing of 10 tracks...that weren't so defined........

Then iTunes...... just buy the bits you like and then make your own greatest hits.

You rarely now get the carefully crafted and constructed album that the song order turns the whole thing into a single piece of art. These days it is more just a collection of songs.

That is what PF are on about.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 13, 2010 12:34

The Sicilian
skipstone

Correct?

True but they are trying to stop the sale of single downloads and force buyers to purchase the entire album as I read it.

Noone is "forcing" anyone to do anything. Its their music, it should be their decision how its released. I welcome the decision.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 13, 2010 20:13

swiss
This summer I bought Pink Floyd's song "Fearless" from iTunes.

After hearing the song many times and loving it, I'm considering buying the rest of the album.

This summer, if I had to purchase the entire album (for $9.99) just to get one song -- I wouldn't have done it.

I appreciate not wanting to bust up an album, especially for a band like Pink Floyd with concept albums and really thoughtful song sequencing. But I wonder how well an "All or nothing" approach will serve them?

Great song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home